Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Enjoying Hollywood In The 40s

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Just made this on a program called gimp. I used my newly obtained navy Mallory with my striped double-breasted suit. I am taking a walk down Hollywood Blvd. and I came across a photographer.

Me in the 40s.jpg

I figured that, or there abouts. So it will be some time, but they will think you were there, so the ol' fella thing holds!

And before you know it!! You should do more of those picts in the meantime... it really is terrific!

Last edited:

MikeKardec

One Too Many
My Avatar is actually similar. It's a pic taken by my father or Dick, a shipmate of his, of another shipmate ... for promotional purposes we grafted on my dad's head from another photo from the same decade, it was necessary to choose a photo where the shadows were as right as possible and to layer on some grain from a lighter area of the picture. Dad was actually in better shape than the guy in the picture and taller too if I'm any judge. Shrinking the head made the shoulders seem wide enough but the guy's waist is still a bit too thick.

One of these days I have to find a way of making it more 'arty,' impressionistic like a sketch or something. I don't like to be creating any false history, have it mistaken for reality ... that's not a criticism of the OP, however, I think we should all have fun in any way we wish.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
My Avatar is actually similar. It's a pic taken by my father or Dick, a shipmate of his, of another shipmate ... for promotional purposes we grafted on my dad's head from another photo from the same decade, it was necessary to choose a photo where the shadows were as right as possible and to layer on some grain from a lighter area of the picture. Dad was actually in better shape than the guy in the picture and taller too if I'm any judge. Shrinking the head made the shoulders seem wide enough but the guy's waist is still a bit too thick.

One of these days I have to find a way of making it more 'arty,' impressionistic like a sketch or something. I don't like to be creating any false history, have it mistaken for reality ... that's not a criticism of the OP, however, I think we should all have fun in any way we wish.

Wow I wouldn't have guessed! Great work!

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I didn't do it all, I've got a photoshop expert for a friend. It doesn't hurt that both pics were probably shot with the same camera and the same film stock. The "head" shot was MUCH better a pic. The ship needed a lot of clean up ... I'm guessing there were high temps before development and probably a lot of humidity. That ship spent a lot of it's time in tropical waters. The absolutely AMAZING thing is how much data there is in a scan of one of these old photos ... not even the original neg.

I like the Zelig Effect you should keep at it!

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
I didn't do it all, I've got a photoshop expert for a friend. It doesn't hurt that both pics were probably shot with the same camera and the same film stock. The "head" shot was MUCH better a pic. The ship needed a lot of clean up ... I'm guessing there were high temps before development and probably a lot of humidity. That ship spent a lot of it's time in tropical waters. The absolutely AMAZING thing is how much data there is in a scan of one of these old photos ... not even the original neg.

I like the Zelig Effect you should keep at it!

Ahh. and okay sure!I'm going to do another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy