Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire’s Complete Golden Age Illustrations:

Excellent way to wear an on-the-loud-side sport coat; basically, turn the volume on everything else down (except for the hat, I guess :)). Also, nice sport coat-turtleneck combo:
Esq033506.jpg

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd keep my eye on my wallet around this guy. "There are vultures everywhere, vultures everywhere!"
Or perhaps he has the letters of transit? "Yes, I heard that rumour too. Poor devils."
But maybe I'm being too critical. Maybe he is "just a gigolo."
esq013507-jpg.257269

Faux Brummell

Familiar Face
3BC718B4-92E0-4EBE-961B-0067F9684E23.jpeg
I had been under the impression that a waistcoat was not considered correct with a Warm-weather jacket but this is the second classic illustration I’ve seen recently that suggests a colored vest with a white jacket. Very cool to learn new things.

Flanderian

Practically Family
⇧ "It has a separate camel hair interlining." This sounds different (and expensive) - anyone have any color on it?

I've not seen or heard of it before. I've seen wool top/overcoats with both wool, and far less commonly, camel hair interior linings. But I've never seen one with a camel hair interlining, which I take to be between the outer cloth and a separate interior lining of a smooth fabric. Another possibility is that it's a description of the pieces that provide structure and shape to a tailored coat, as the term interlining is used when describing building a suit jacket. And for that use, I believe I recall seeing camel hair being one choice of material available to makers. The advantage being that it would provide both greater warmth, and I would think, added flexibility.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Practically Family
Thanks so much for posting all of this.

Quite welcome, glad you enjoy them!

I'd keep my eye on my wallet around this guy. "There are vultures everywhere, vultures everywhere!"
Or perhaps he has the letters of transit? "Yes, I heard that rumour too. Poor devils."
But maybe I'm being too critical. Maybe he is "just a gigolo."
esq013507-jpg.257269

Every time I see this illustration I'm unfailingly reminded to a news photo of U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower from my boyhood. He was on holiday, and while I'm sure his suit was tan rather than this high of a color, he was dressed very similarly with the same hat, and manner in which the shirt is worn, and in the same posture.

View attachment 257586 I had been under the impression that a waistcoat was not considered correct with a Warm-weather jacket but this is the second classic illustration I’ve seen recently that suggests a colored vest with a white jacket. Very cool to learn new things.

I don't know enough on the subject to offer a sound opinion. But I do know that Esquire in highlighting the then current fashion, and novelty, often pushed the envelope compared to more broadly accepted norms, and sometimes were even just mistaken.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Practically Family
The rest of April 1935.

Esq043508.jpg
Esq043509.jpg
Esq043510.jpg
Esq043511.jpg
Esq043512.jpg
Esq043513.jpg

The ad illustration below by Saalburg is one of the most iconic to appear. Its cropped version has appeared everywhere. The Cloud Club was a lunch club that occupied 3 top floors in the new Chrysler Building in Manhattan. It operated in various forms from 1930 to 1979.

Esq043514.jpg
Esq043501.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
These are the May 1935 Esquire illustrations.

Esq053506.jpg
Esq053507.jpg
Esq053508.jpg
Esq053509.jpg
Esq053513.jpg
Esq053514.jpg

Shed a tear for the recently departed, and once stylish, Lord & Taylor. 200 years of business now history.
Esq053515.jpg

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the city where I live, this attire would not raise a single eyebrow. Not infrequently you can still see guys dressed exactly like this. There are several shops downtown where I could buy this outfit in an instant (although it wouldn't be cheap.) But what I really want is a loden cape.
esq043502-jpg.257590

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko