Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire’s Complete Golden Age Illustrations:

Top pic: That guy will get waited on before me even if he enters the store after me and I don't have a problem with that at all. Heck, I don't even work in the store and I'd wait on him if he asked me to get him something.

Fourth pic down: The guy wearing the "clothes for outside the city limits" is a hot mess. Each piece is neat, but combined there are just too many patterns and textures (and dark collars) going this way and that.

Last pic: The college kids (especially the one to the left) continue to do a more "casual" dress really well

Top pic: I'd also wait on the guy to the right if he walked into the store and asked even if I didn't work there.

Bottom pic: Did the guy to the right have his trousers made from material left over from the guy to the left's overcoat? :)

Flanderian

Practically Family
Top pic: That guy will get waited on before me even if he enters the store after me and I don't have a problem with that at all. Heck, I don't even work in the store and I'd wait on him if he asked me to get him something.

Fourth pic down: The guy wearing the "clothes for outside the city limits" is a hot mess. Each piece is neat, but combined there are just too many patterns and textures (and dark collars) going this way and that.

Last pic: The college kids (especially the one to the left) continue to do a more "casual" dress really well

Top pic: I'd also wait on the guy to the right if he walked into the store and asked even if I didn't work there.

Bottom pic: Did the guy to the right have his trousers made from material left over from the guy to the left's overcoat? :)

Fortunately, the "hot mess" was not widely replicated elsewhere, then or now. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen the black and white striped dress shirt with black collar anywhere else. And for good reason!

A good example of the whole being less than the sum of its parts. Love corduroy and tweed, and love the idea of a wide wale waistcoat, but here the patterns created by the textures clash.

Flanderian

Practically Family
These are the illustrations from the March 1934 issue of Esquire.

Esq033404.jpg
Esq033405.jpg
Esq033406.jpg
Esq033407.jpg
Esq033408.jpg
Esq033409.jpg
Esq033410.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
Looking over this post, I realized that the number of illustrations looked fewer than I recalled. And, yes, I had omitted some.Though of more specialized interest, and a couple perhaps not the best illustrations, here are the balance along with a couple illustrations of selected ad art.

Esq043409.jpg
Esq043410.jpg
Esq043411.jpg
Esq043412.jpg
Esq043413.jpg

Last edited:

Top pic: Anyone know what the blue and white stripes running down the side of the leather Gladstone are about? Hard to get what they are on a leather bag?

Pic two, three, four and five: Men were not afraid to wear bold-patterned suits. Today (or five to ten years ago when men still wore suits), you rarely see/saw anything but solids or very subtle patterns or weaves that "read" solid at a distance.

And the balance of the May 1934 issue.

View attachment 256157

View attachment 256157 View attachment 256158 View attachment 256159 View attachment 256160

And an ad photo as the models are turned out so well in mode of the era.
View attachment 256161 .

Hurd's work in the Interwoven ad is outstanding here.

And agree with you on the photo ad, it looks like a scene out of a "Thin Man" movie.

Flanderian

Practically Family
Top pic: Anyone know what the blue and white stripes running down the side of the leather Gladstone are about? Hard to get what they are on a leather bag?

Pic two, three, four and five: Men were not afraid to wear bold-patterned suits. Today (or five to ten years ago when men still wore suits), you rarely see/saw anything but solids or very subtle patterns or weaves that "read" solid at a distance.

I assumed the stripes were simply decorative, but there may be other significance.

In an era when suits of any kind are an exotic, the notion that a suit can be more casual is entirely foreign. But in this period country inspired suits were avant garde, popularized by those who had country clothes and wore them in town, such as The Prince of Wales.

Hurd's work in the Interwoven ad is outstanding here.

And agree with you on the photo ad, it looks like a scene out of a "Thin Man" movie.

Hurd's work at this time was still often very nice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui