Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essentials for the kitchen

I’ve mentioned in other threads the remo-lite I did on our generic suburban rambler’s kitchen a few years ago. This was prompted in large part by my disdain for the amateur remo inflicted on it by the previous owner. I just couldn’t continue looking at it anymore, had I the choice, which I did.

I went with a late-‘50s/early-‘60s vibe, in keeping with the house’s architecture. Even with keeping the costs down by painting rather than replacing cabinets, living with the existing LVP faux-wood flooring (it’s in good shape, and waterproof), and doing the work I could do a decent job of myself, it still set us back a few grand. (It turns out that fabricating a countertop from scratch is a fairly involved process, and no job for the amateur homeowner.)

Vintage kitchen tools? We have some. And vintage cookware and tableware, too. There’s no reason utilitarian stuff can’t be beautiful.

IMG_1730.jpeg

I’ve mentioned in other threads the remo-lite I did on our generic suburban rambler’s kitchen a few years ago. This was prompted in large part by my disdain for the amateur remo inflicted on it by the previous owner. I just couldn’t continue looking at it anymore, had I the choice, which I did.

I went with a late-‘50s/early-‘60s vibe, in keeping with the house’s architecture. Even with keeping the costs down by painting rather than replacing cabinets, living with the existing LVP faux-wood flooring (it’s in good shape, and waterproof), and doing the work I could do a decent job of myself, it still set us back a few grand. (It turns out that fabricating a countertop from scratch is a fairly involved process, and no job for the amateur homeowner.)

Vintage kitchen tools? We have some. And vintage cookware and tableware, too. There’s no reason utilitarian stuff can’t be beautiful.

View attachment 515979
The thing I can't wrap my head around quite.....we have many of the kitchen items we purchased when we first set up house...49 years ago. So we now are the owners of vintage kitchen stuff....all by accident of keeping them for so long.

There are kitchen utensils I use maybe twice a year and that’s reason enough to keep them around. Bought and paid for long ago, don’t take up much space, etc.

Sorry, Marie Kondo, but all my clutter sparks joy. Maybe I should write a book about it. You’re proof enough there’s plenty of suckers out there who might take this trendy sh*t seriously.

And what might we call this piece? It did what countertop canisters did — provide storage for flour, sugar, coffee, etc. in its bins. But these days it mostly just takes up space. I don’t like the countertop; it’s the last remaining section of what was throughout this kitchen when we moved in. Maybe I’ll get around to doing something about that before I die.

IMG_1908.jpeg

Bugguy

Practically Family
As I grew up, my family always had a bread box in the kitchen. However, only my grandmother in rural Wisconsin had a match dispenser, and only with the strike-anywhere wood matches. When the cousins were really being cool, we'd strike the matches on the zipper of our pants... tough guys.

What I remember is being a smart aleck and describing the size of something as "bigger than a bread box and smaller then the Eiffel Tower".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana