Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etiquette Question – Wedding and Funeral on the Same Day

David Ward

Familiar Face
A good friend of mine is attending an AM funeral service at the weekend , but then has to travel to a wedding in the early evening. He wants to know if it’s appropriate to wear the same suit, and if so, what would be the most apporiate colour to wear? Is it OK to wear a black suit to a summer wedding, especially if it's just been worn to a memorial? Advice needed!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've actually done this, and the wedding & funeral were about 325 miles apart. Yup, that was a looooong day!

I think a black suit would be fine for both, particularly since you mention this is an evening wedding.

Edward

Bartender
Black suit, white shirt, black tie for funeral, switch out tie for something festive for the evening, and add a flamboyant co-ordinating pocket square.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Charcoal grey would also be an option....as well as my first choice. It's fine for a funeral and somehow I can't bring myself to wear a black suit to a wedding (unless it's formal wear and I'm in the wedding party). Actually my second choice would be navy blue. BTW, it is possible to bring a suit for each event and hit a men's room somewhere between the two venues for a quick change.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I think a black suit is ONLY suitable for a funeral. We're talking about a real black suit. Dark gray or blue, no matter how dark, is another matter. Dark gray, blue, and to a lesser degree brown, could be appropriate for both. (Since Ronal Reagan legitimized the brown suit, I guess brown is OK.)

Cobden

Practically Family
Personally, I think a black suit is ONLY suitable for a funeral. We're talking about a real black suit. Dark gray or blue, no matter how dark, is another matter. Dark gray, blue, and to a lesser degree brown, could be appropriate for both. (Since Ronal Reagan legitimized the brown suit, I guess brown is OK.)

I'd agree with this, though perhaps not the brown. Bear in mind, in the UK traditionally an all black daywear suit was a social faux pas - all black was reserved for uniforms (railwaymen, zoo keepers, etc.) and livery (certain servents, but even then all black began to be avoided), as well as evening dress. Hence why the stroller is called a black lounge in the UK - there was no such thing as a black suit other then with cashmere striped trousers, and thus there was no ambiguity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy