Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever Heard of Allyn St. George?

Doc Miskatonic

New in Town
Good evening, viewers.

A short while ago I won on eBay a chocolate brown fedora. I have been searching for a reasonably priced hat of such a color for a while now and had started looking at vintage hats (slippery slope, since that way lies addiction), when I came across an auction for this Allyn St. George hat. Reasonably priced at under $50, leather sweatband, 2.5" brim and 1 1/2" ribbon. Plus the satin lining looked very attractive with the image of St George slaying the dragon. It appealed to me in just about every way. I tried finding out information about the designer but information is sparce. I found old articles online about them from the 80s and 90s, and seemed legit. Designer whose focus was/is on reasonably priced fashion for the common man who wants to look smart without breaking the bank. But no reviews as far as quality.
f8679d87.jpg

When the hat arrived I thought it was... okay. Not great, but not awful either. The felt is very stiff, feels thin and has a cardboard feel to it -- as though the felt was molded around cardboard. For a costume hat it is excellent but for an actual wear and public hat? I have my doubts. I have thought of getting the felt wet or steaming it to see if this loosens it up a bit. The eBay decription did say it was never worn so maybe that is why it seems so stiff a lid. Has anyone ever heard of Allyn St. George?
dcb72159.jpg

1689d451.jpg

77595768.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou