Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever make a belt?

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
I have had yet another belt break on me. it's not like i'm doing anything weird with my belts. they just snap after some time. i found that one of them was made from "bonded" leather. a product made from leather scraps and resin. the other though leather had a "synthetic core" the bulk up the thin leather used to construct the belt.

So i have decided to make my on... but i need help. i was wondering if any one had any experience with this. I have the buckle a piece made in the 40s out of silver and i have the strap of leather that will be used. The edge has been beveled and i have experience using leather dye....

But how do i fold and crease leather? now i found a tool used to thin the leather and i think i might try soaking the area i want to fold in some hot water to help. but i have no idea where to go from there.

i would appreciate any pointers

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I have had yet another belt break on me. it's not like i'm doing anything weird with my belts. they just snap after some time. i found that one of them was made from "bonded" leather. a product made from leather scraps and resin. the other though leather had a "synthetic core" the bulk up the thin leather used to construct the belt.

So i have decided to make my on... but i need help. i was wondering if any one had any experience with this. I have the buckle a piece made in the 40s out of silver and i have the strap of leather that will be used. The edge has been beveled and i have experience using leather dye....

But how do i fold and crease leather? now i found a tool used to thin the leather and i think i might try soaking the area i want to fold in some hot water to help. but i have no idea where to go from there.

i would appreciate any pointers
Okaaaaay......It looks like this one just sat here for a long time, but in short, your problem is that you're buying cheap belts. Buy 100% leather belts, not split leather, not bonded leather, not artificial leather, not cardboard, not plastic; Real Leather, preferably one with a double layer of full grain leather rough stitched to rough, so that you have to relatively smooth sides facing outward, one of which should be polished calf or some such (if that is the desired finish which you've purchased, or suede or rough-out if that is your deal).

Look at the very simple belts that are typically on offer from RL, not his gimmicky pieces, but the simple black, tan, or brown belts. Look at the craftsmanship and details, or perhaps invest in a nice Stetson belt, if you want something more exotic, or western (I have several Stetson belts that I Love, in fact I love them so much that I bought multiples for when my current ones die in the unforeseeable future). A Good Belt should feel substantial, and should last you 15 to 20 years or more, with good care. Belts are like quality shoes, an investment, and a true measure of the actual quality of the materials and craftsmanship offered by the maker/seller.

It's easy enough to make a belt, but honestly, you're going to end up spending more to make something even approaching the quality of many of the belts which you can just buy from a reliable merchant/maker, especially with the variable of your actual skill level and knowledge of leathercraft of which I am not aware.

Long story short, buy from a known and trusted shoe maker or brand that has a good reputation, and ALL REAL LEATHER.

If you want any info on making leather belts though, feel free to hit me up, my Grandfather also made those, along with shoes, and I might have some useful hints. Also, one more thing; the only reason to fold the belt, is to make a hollow money belt; best left to professionals, and easy enough to locate and purchase at a higher quality point than you're likely to achieve on your own. Just saying. But happy hunting!

Feraud

Bartender
They are nice belts you have there. I agree that the belts you can buy these days do not seem to be of such good quality, I like a thick heavy leather belt with a strong / solid buckle, but they don't seem so easy to come by at the moment.

There are a few websites that sell leather. Find a site that will sell or cut you a length of bridle leather. You can purchase the buckle of your choice and sew or rivet the buckle on. Punch a few holes and you're all set! It is relatively easy to do. The materials are surprisingly affordable and you'll feel proud to wear something you made!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot