Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever think some jackets are overhyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yeah. All I’ve read is that goat is super abrasion resistant and as such the perfect MC gear. It can be thinner, lighter, easier to wear and still protect the rider in case of dismount. But to me, the pros don’t outweigh the cons. So I’ve sold off a few goat jackets. Like you, I just prefer other hides.

If I find a LW moose in my size that isn’t instantaneously sniped by one of a few TFL members (they know exactly who they are lol), I wouldn’t hesitate. Or LW deer.

I don't ride but that makes perfect sense, loungers also mention kangaroo skin in the same breath. Yep, members here have so many jackets that we barely wear them enough to show wear/patina before we move on to the next jacket lol

yes, moosehide is so interesting to me. That would be so cool to wear. A thick deerskin is also on the want list. It's not often jackets my size show up so not too hopeful on a LW

I don't ride but that makes perfect sense, loungers also mention kangaroo skin in the same breath. Yep, members here have so many jackets that we barely wear them enough to show wear/patina before we move on to the next jacket lol

yes, moosehide is so interesting to me. That would be so cool to wear. A thick deerskin is also on the want list. It's not often jackets my size show up so not too hopeful on a LW

Now, I royally messed up and sold a kangaroo jacket by Mars out of Australia. @Seb Lucas essentially said I would be a jack ass if I didn’t buy it and he was right. A little while later I was a jack ass and sold it. Thin, light, hard to find, and a great riding jacket. That’s one I wish I had back. Sold it for a song too.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Old Swedish goatskin is insane too.
Super thick, heavy, great grain, very supple.

It's my only goatskin jacket but it really impressed me.
Got a goatskin Norshore in the post, wonder how that will compare.

at1sFyH.jpg

xujc0jq.jpg

fz2vorl.jpg

Wow! No kidding! That is similar to those old Cal(maybe) that t Mitchell showed in one of his YouTube videos.

These grains are so nice, that is what I am hoping for for a goatskin jacket. @torfjord did you a solid on this find! What a jacket too, that design is so cool. Is that what the Swedes wore on their bikes before?

Good luck on your next goatskin, don't know anything about vintage stuff but I hope it's to your liking

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Yeah. All I’ve read is that goat is super abrasion resistant and as such the perfect MC gear. It can be thinner, lighter, easier to wear and still protect the rider in case of dismount. But to me, the pros don’t outweigh the cons. So I’ve sold off a few goat jackets. Like you, I just prefer other hides.

If I find a LW moose in my size that isn’t instantaneously sniped by one of a few TFL members (they know exactly who they are lol), I wouldn’t hesitate. Or LW deer.

You better not hesitate...
I am not a fan of deer, but i love me some moose!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Now, I royally messed up and sold a kangaroo jacket by Mars out of Australia. @Seb Lucas essentially said I would be a jack ass if I didn’t buy it and he was right. A little while later I was a jack ass and sold it. Thin, light, hard to find, and a great riding jacket. That’s one I wish I had back. Sold it for a song too.

Ahh you had one of those too, atleast you get to wear one. I read that JL used to make jackets from kangaroo hides but good ol' California banned it so guess I'm out of luck too lol

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Wow! No kidding! That is similar to those old Cal(maybe) that t Mitchell showed in one of his YouTube videos.

These grains are so nice, that is what I am hoping for for a goatskin jacket. @torfjord did you a solid on this find! What a jacket too, that design is so cool. Is that what the Swedes wore on their bikes before?

Good luck on your next goatskin, don't know anything about vintage stuff but I hope it's to your liking

That’s an old military motorcycle jacket. Similar to the two vintage jackets I have, but I’d say the leather on @Carlos840 jacket is even nicer. Best goat I’ve seen. In comparison to all modern goat that I’ve seen and handled these vintage jackets are a lot thicker. I’ve been wondering why lately. Could it be that today goats are slaughtered at an earlier age, therefore they have thinner skins? Just a guess.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
That’s an old military motorcycle jacket. Similar to the two vintage jackets I have, but I’d say the leather on @Carlos840 jacket is even nicer. Best goat I’ve seen. In comparison to all modern goat that I’ve seen and handled these vintage jackets are a lot thicker. I’ve been wondering why lately. Could it be that today goats are slaughtered at an earlier age, therefore they have thinner skins? Just a guess.

What a jacket, it's different from what we normally see but it is charming. Love the pocket on the center, that's a cool design and placement. Older goatskin really is the way to go for me. Any idea if that is veg tanned or chrome tanned?

Maybe just maybe goats from decades ago are hardier than modern day goats of today. As with humans lol

dlite90

Familiar Face
To me the value of Himel Bros comes from having that semi-aniline shinki and a faster turnaround than most makers. I can't find semi-aniline shinki anywhere else and I don't want to spend that kind of dough on a full-aniline jacket because I just don't feel it's as weatherproof. Also buying any jacket online without a toile is a big risk, even if you've ordered bespoke 3-4 times before you can still wind up with something goofy. At this point I would pay the Himel premium just to know I've got a good jacket that fits within a respectable timeframe.
No makers are overhyped, there's just too few of them (in this segment) to meet demand so we start raising expectations because of the considerable cost and wait.
Dave Himel was first to achieve the feat of scaling a bespoke jacket business using the finest leathers in the world.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

That is because I hyped it to all of you... my bad :p

And I am no sniper, I got mine directly asking Stuart what he had left over. Initially I could only get a messenger bag, until I asked if we could make a dual tone jacket. :D

That is because I hyped it to all of you... my bad :p

And I am no sniper, I got mine directly asking Stuart what he had left over. Initially I could only get a messenger bag, until I asked if we could make a dual tone jacket. :D

Haha. Oh no my man. You certainly are sniper 2. At least in my mind. But please, keep going direct to Stuart. I won’t complain.

red devil

Haha. Oh no my man. You certainly are sniper 2. At least in my mind. But please, keep going direct to Stuart. I won’t complain.

I think I was more of the rambo type going all in lol
Wasn't very discrete, or else that peacoat would have been mine as well :p

I think I was more of the rambo type going all in lol
Wasn't very discrete, or else that peacoat would have been mine as well :p

Let me see, it’s not just you and Carlos that enter into my “should I BIN it” calculation. Ton for sure. Now TM and Jon in the vintage jacket market. All similar sizes. I can’t get mad if it goes to one of these expert hunters/snipers though. It’s all fun.

Old Swedish goatskin is insane too.
Super thick, heavy, great grain, very supple.

It's my only goatskin jacket but it really impressed me.
Got a goatskin Norshore in the post, wonder how that will compare.

at1sFyH.jpg

xujc0jq.jpg

fz2vorl.jpg

the Norshore to compare:

iYghdY4.jpg

5qaeD88.jpg

I keep looking at this hide. Best looking goat I’ve seen. Atypical of the hide, no? Perhaps some true vintage stuff compares but wow.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I keep looking at this hide. Best looking goat I’ve seen. Atypical of the hide, no? Perhaps some true vintage stuff compares but wow.

The Norshore or the Swedish one?
The Norshore is actually russet that he hand dyes black, the inside is left russet, no liner.
I should have it in a couple weeks, will post more pics.
It looks really ncie to me, but i haven't seen much goatskin.

PoJ7xGH.jpg

6u0XBET.jpg

red devil

"Abound" implies "abundance" which implies there's enough to easily meet demand, which is not the case as you claim.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abundance

You also didn't catch the "scale" part of my post.

Yes they abound, relatively speaking.
Whether it implies that there is enough to meet demand is your interpretation. And if we are to consider this to be the case, it seems the demand is reasonably met, when you see all the new jackets consistently being shown here.

I did not miss the scale part, to what scale? Do you know what scale Himel reached? How do you substantiate that comment you made?

The Norshore or the Swedish one?
The Norshore is actually russet that he hand dyes black, the inside is left russet, no liner.
I should have it in a couple weeks, will post more pics.
It looks really ncie to me, but i haven't seen much goatskin.

PoJ7xGH.jpg

6u0XBET.jpg

The Swedish. Though that Norshor is very nice too.

dlite90

Familiar Face
Yes they abound, relatively speaking.
Whether it implies that there is enough to meet demand is your interpretation. And if we are to consider this to be the case, it seems the demand is reasonably met, when you see all the new jackets consistently being shown here.

I did not miss the scale part, to what scale? Do you know what scale Himel reached? How do you substantiate that comment you made?
Oh you’ve got wildly different “interpretations” than me so I won’t entertain all your semantic arguments.
Best of luck on any future internet arguments you start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner