Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever yearn for a vintage name?

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Wooster said:
I was named after this guy:

Willem_Bartel_van_der_Kooi_-_Eise_Eisinga.jpg

So I guess my name is pretty vintage as it is.

Ummm who is he btw?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I went to junior high school with two other girls with the same first and last name as mine.

When I was small, I liked the name Victoria. I think it would have suited me better than Lori--I always thought Lori sounded like such a goody-two-shoes name.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Kassia said:
All my names are vintage-y..
Kathleen Gertrude Hazel
And my belly dance name is Kassia... She was a Bazyntine saint so that's really really vintage.. It's also the Polish variant of Kathrine or Kathleen...

I really like the name Kathleen, probably because that was my paternal grandmother's name. It is a beautiful name that can be made dimunitive in many ways, i.e Kitty, Kath, Kathy, etc. I wanted to name our daughter Alexandra (another lovely name) Kathleen but my wife was a big Cameron Diaz fan. Guess who won.

My first name ends in a long e sound which I really don't care for. Actually I like my last name as a first name. Just call me Carter.

just_me

Practically Family
I've always really liked Katherine Hepburn, so maybe Katherine or Kate. My grandmother's name was Rebecca (as is my daughter's middle name) and I like that. Rebecca or Becky.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
carter said:
I really like the name Kathleen, probably because that was my paternal grandmother's name. It is a beautiful name that can be made dimunitive in many ways, i.e Kitty, Kath, Kathy, etc. I wanted to name our daughter Alexandra (another lovely name) Kathleen but my wife was a big Cameron Diaz fan. Guess who won.

My first name ends in a long e sound which I really don't care for. Actually I like my last name as a first name. Just call me Carter.

I have, in the past, gone by Kathy.. My mil still calls me that..
For most of my adult life i have gone by Kathleen.. I never ever liked to be called Kath.. My dh calls me Katie tho and he's the only one that is allowed too!!

My dh's name is Michael and has gone by Mike for most of his life.. But since there are 4 other men named Mike where he works he is simply known as Mikey there..
They have manager Mike, welder Mike, apprentice Mike, mechanic Mike and, my dh, Mikey...

Artigas

Familiar Face
Delthayre said:
I had a great uncle, whom I don't believe that I ever met, who was named Phares, which is an obscure biblical name. How my fraternal great grandparents concocted that name, I can't say.

One of my ancestors had the name of your uncle's namesake's brother: Zerah. If I am correct, Pharez and Zerah were the illegitimate children of Judah, who was seduced by his disguised and widowed daughter-in-law. Icky.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
vitanola said:
It seems that then names of women are more subject to fashion, however. In the '80's and 90's popular female names included Minnie, Florence, Bessie, Ethel, Edna, Lillian and Mellie. By the 'teens, Helen, Margaret, Dorothy, Ruth, Mildred, Frances, Rose, and Evelyn were popular. In the 'twenties, Betty, Virginia, Doris, Jean, Marie, Shirley, Lois, Irene, and Gloria entered the scent, and in the 'thirties Barbara, Patricia, Nancy, Carol, Joyce, Marilyn, and Beverly were popular, while in the war years Sandra, Carolyn, Susan, and Janet were common.

I loathe my vintage name, I will take Barbi over it any day of the week and I am told it fits me.

Foofoogal

Banned
The name Jeremy really didn't come around until the 1960's

Matthew 27:9 KJV) Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;
Matthew 2:17 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying,

Jeremy is actually in the Bible. Our son is named Jeremy.
Everytime I heard the name Jeremy when my son was little it was usually being called out as his mother was chasing him to catch him.
It usually means gift of God or appointed by God.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
Jeremy is actually in the Bible. Our son is named Jeremy.

I thought he was always called Jeremiah in the Bible as well. But I'm not sure. I always heard the shortened version, Jeremy, wasn't really around at all until the beginning of the 20th century. I think there was a character in some 60's TV show called Jeremy, and that spiked the popularity of the name for a few years.

Artigas

Familiar Face
Could be a difference between New and Old Testament anglicizations of the same name. OT might call him "Jeremiah" while NT might call him "Jeremy". Not that uncommon, considering "Jesus" is the anglicization of the Greek form of "Joshua".

seres

A-List Customer
Has anyone seen the site NameTrends.net, which tracks the popularity of names through the years?

I was named Eric, in the early 50's, and the name increased in popularity until it peaked in the early 70's.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Paisley said:
I went to junior high school with two other girls with the same first and last name as mine.

Oddly enough that has happened to me! My first name, Meredith, doesn't seem like it would be that common, and up until recently, it really wasn't (damn you Grey's Anatomy!). It used to confuse people all the time (they always though I meant Mary Beth or Marilyn!).

Somehow, in high school, there were 3 Merediths total (but the other two went by Molly), one of whom had the same last name as me! My last name is not so uncommon either, but it's Scottish, so it's still a bit strange that someone with the same exact name as me went to my high school.

My parent's friends named their daughter Meredith too (another Molly, though), and their last name, Jane, is my middle name! Weird, weird, weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara