Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever yearn for a vintage name?

Lillemor

One Too Many
I just wish I had a shorter and more common name with a normal spelling. Joannah:rolleyes: So 1970s!:( I wish I'd been named after one of my late grandmothers either Amanda or Ila Mae but I can actually see in our family tree that there have been several Johanne and one or two Johanna so just the normal Danish version of my name; Johanne would've been nice.

Chas

One Too Many
What the heck is a "vintage" name? I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but if someone was named by a pair of hippies, and ended up with "sunshine" or something like that, then head down to the Bureau of Vital Statistics and get it changed to "Faye", "Betty", "Mavis", "Richard", "Dunc" or something like that.

I once met a couple of hippie-kids from Saltspring Island named "Jib" and "Spar". I think that they were conceived on a sailboat.:eusa_doh:

My parents named their kids after family and friends. I never knew my namesake, but apparently he fought at the ill-fated Dieppe landings. I like to think that I live up to my namesake.

Bluebird

New in Town
"Jennifer" doesn't sound vintage the only time I've heard it used prior to 60's was Jennifer Jones. Otherwise, Jenny was used. No thanks. I feel like I should be two with pigtails. Unfortunately, Jennifer was so popular in the late 60's and early 70's that in my last year of high school I went thru the year book and found 28 Jennifers.:eusa_doh: I always liked Charlotte, Emma or Olivia. Don't particularly care for the modern names that are coming out now. And what is with the spelling of Jennifer as Gennapher? [huh]

My middle name is an old one "May" it goes pretty far back on both sides of my family. When i was younger I couldn't figure out why my middle name was May yet I was born in June...hmmm...

^_^bluebird

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nighthawk said:
I believe the name Jennifer comes from Guinevere of the King Arthur tales.

NH

In my lights the Arthurian spelling is much more impressive than either Jennifer or Gennapher.

Bluebird

New in Town
I was thinking along the lines of "Jennifer" the spelling as being a non-vintage name. I wish my parents had thought of Guinevere. Or the Welsh Gwenhfar. A little different, but perhaps a little too different for the 60's/70's/80's. Would fit in perfectly now-a-days! lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
Bluebird said:
Unfortunately, Jennifer was so popular in the late 60's and early 70's that in my last year of high school I went thru the year book and found 28 Jennifers.:eusa_doh:[huh]

My middle name is an old one "May" it goes pretty far back on both sides of my family. When i was younger I couldn't figure out why my middle name was May yet I was born in June...hmmm...

^_^bluebird

I think every other friend of mine was named Jennifer or Heather in high school. In my junior year Spanish class we were three [Joanna's] who just spelt our names differently but they all sounded the same. I never meet anyone with a name similar to mine here unless it's a baby named Johanne or an old lady named Jonna. Older people always hear my name wrong and assume I said my name is Jonna which is just fine with me.:) No one ever gets my name right here which is actually fine too.lol

Joannah :rolleyes: What's wrong with plain old Johanne, Johanna, or even English Joanna or better Joan?

duggap

Banned
Fun thread, but let me say, I never yearn for a vintage name. Because of my age my name is vintage. I was clearly born in the era you so desire.;) So I will tell you that my first given name was Gerald. How vintage you consider that I don't know, but I can tell you for sure its an oldie.:p

jayem

A-List Customer
My real name is Juliette, so that's pretty vintage. Not common, but vintage. Almost every single person in my family has a Frances/is somewhere in their name; in fact, 3 of my 4 grandparents have Frances/is as their first name! (Frank, Fran, Frank, and Virginia). I love the name Sadie, but we recently adopted a dog named Sadie so I see it now as more of a dog's name. I love Hazel, and Rose. I was originally supposed to be Rosalind, but when I came out my mom just said 'That's Juliette!' and I guess it stuck. I also adore Beatrix and Sophie.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Chas said:
What the heck is a "vintage" name? I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but if someone was named by a pair of hippies, and ended up with "sunshine" or something like that, then head down to the Bureau of Vital Statistics and get it changed to "Faye", "Betty", "Mavis", "Richard", "Dunc" or something like that.

I once met a couple of hippie-kids from Saltspring Island named "Jib" and "Spar". I think that they were conceived on a sailboat.:eusa_doh:

My parents named their kids after family and friends. I never knew my namesake, but apparently he fought at the ill-fated Dieppe landings. I like to think that I live up to my namesake.
Jib and Spar:eek: , that should qualify for a one-time free name change!

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
My given names are Lyndon and Lester I am led to understand both are old & very English. I am a baby boomer and grew up with boys names like Brad and Michael and Tom and Brent so my names stood out as being very different. I was teased a lot in elementary school but eventually kids grew out of that and it was just a different name. I can't imagine having another name as I have grown accustomed to being called Lyndon and it fits me like and old leather jacket. Lester has always been an old man's name to me and when I was a child I used to laugh when I heard someone call me by that name. Our Prime Minister in the early 1960's was named Lester Pearson and he was in his 60's so I associated Lester with old men. I am 50 and still do not feel comfortable with Lester. I think the name is still too old for me, perhaps in 15 or twenty years it will fit me better but I am not ready to be old yet. Cheers

ET

One of the Regulars
I think my name is pretty vintage. My name is Edward, my Uncle was Edward (b. 1924) two of my grandfathers were Edwards. (b. 1896, 1892) Kind of runs in the family for as far back as we can go. My wife wouldn't let me stick the name on my son Samuel Logan since my eldest brother had already snagged it for his eldest son. I got to pick the first name but Patrick or John were vetoed, which are also family names. Now every 5th boy and some girls seem to be named Sam or Logan and not too many Edwards. Ah well. As always, trendy before my time.....or after.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I don't know how vintage it is, but a name I LOVE is Marguerite (if I ever have a daughter this will be her name, and for a nickname Meg)

My name, well, I don't know if it's vintage, but my name is Caitlyn (which I'd only met 2 others with the same name, and only one with the same spelling, until I moved to where i live now, I registered in the school and told someone my name and they said "oh, not ANOTHER one" threw me through a loop I can tell you!)

and my middle name is Susannah (named after Susannah Westley, mother of modern methodism) which I'm definitely thinking is vintage enough. lol

Sepe

New in Town
My name, Seppo, comes from the Finnish National Epos Kalevala, and was pretty popular back in day, not that much anymore. One of the most popular boy's names in the 1940's, so yeah, I'd say it's pretty vintage.

My second and third names are also quite much in the same fashion, don't see too many younger folks with the same name, but pretty popular with those born before 1960.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I never liked my name when I was a kid. It sounded too little boyish to me, and I couldn't imagine an older person named Scott. Now I like it very much and wouldn't want any other. Don't ever call me "Scotty."

This has been linked here before, but it's so much fun, here it is again. Just enter a name and watch what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy