Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Every mention of Alexander Leathers has been completely eliminated from the forum!?

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, Going Down Slow was recorded at Fame during his attempt at a solo album. The problem was that although he was an outstanding guitar player, he couldn't sing. This cut is his best vocal attempt on the tracks he cut for Rick Hall during the solo project.

His slide work, which brings fire to his guitar playing, wasn't mastered until a year or so before his death on October 29, 1971. His slide playing is what brings tears to my eyes. I normally find guitars boring, but Duane is one of the 4 or 5 exceptions that I truly enjoy. Maybe because I knew him and know how hard he worked to get where he was.

HD, if you can find a version of Statesboro Blues by the Allman Brothers (Live at the Fillmore East) please post that. It showcases his slide in 1970, I believe. Originally a Blind Willie McTell tune, the Allman Brothers took the arrangement Taj Mahal used and went with that. A good example of Duane's slide and Greg's singing. Oh for those days.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I love that live "record" I have the BBC-version on LP and reel to reel. Tried to fill the rest of the tape with something that could match it, and after 6 months I realized that what fits better on the end of an Allman brothers band session than.......The allman brothers band! So I filled it with songs from "Brothers and Sisters" :D

majormajor

One Too Many
Some good guitarists started their careers on the Soul circuit.

Here's Buddy & Stacey doing "Shotgun" in 1965. Spot the left-handed guitarist on the left hand side. A certain Mr Jimi Hendrix....:D;)
[video=youtube;UvklBbYgnsk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvklBbYgnsk[/video]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

Here's Buddy & Stacey doing "Shotgun" in 1965. Spot the left-handed guitarist on the left hand side. A certain Mr Jimi Hendrix....:D;)
[video=youtube;UvklBbYgnsk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvklBbYgnsk[/video]

On this occasion, Mr H has been upstaged by Buddy and Stacey's trousers!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Buddy: "Do you think these trousers are meant to look like this?"
Stacey: "Sure. Why, what's wrong with them?"
Buddy: "Well, is it just me, or are they six inches too short at the bottom, six inches too high at the waist, and the crotch..."
Stacey: "What about the crotch?"
Buddy: "Let me put this way: if I even think about your sister, I'll get arrested."
Stacey: "You leave my sister out of this! Anyway, they're cool, they're memorable."
Buddy: "And you said these were going to be made from mohair. I'd swear these are just wool. You've been ripped."
Stacey: "How can you tell?"
Buddy: "Take from me, I can tell. Look, I'll prove it, let's weigh them..."
Stacey: "You and your bloody scales..."

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's a pic of Jimi, as part of the King Curtis Band, backing Wilson Picket at an Atlantic Records party in May 1966. Wilson's definitely got the Mohair this time!

wilsonpickettwithjimi.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender

Yes, Night Train was the R&B TV show out of Nashville in the mid 60s. I used to watch it some on Saturday nights with my girlfriend back then--way back then. As I remember, Noble Blackwell was the host of the show, and is shown at the end of the song here. He was a DJ/owner of WVOL, a local R&B station, and did a lot for the local and regional black talent, including getting Night Train up and running. One of the performers on the show I remember well was a guy called Ironing Board Sam. He played electric piano supported by an ironing board (don't ask me why*). When he would get carried away, he would kick the ironing board, causing it to collapse. He would then catch the piano and continue playing. Quite the performer. Someone told me a year or so ago that he recently had seen Sam perform down in either Louisiana or Mississippi--don't remember which.

Jimi Hendrix had a presence in Nashville before this show was taped. He had been in the Army at Ft. Campbell, about 60 miles north of Nashville, during the early 60s, and used to play at clubs in the Nashville area. After his discharge, he and Billy Cox, his bass player, used Nashville as a base of operations, playing in a band called the King Kasuals. Billy played bass with Jimi at Woodstock, and still lives in Nashville. He once said of Jimi: ""There are only two types of guitarists around today. There are those who admit being influenced by Jimi Hendrix, and those who try to pretend they aren't."

I think by the time this show aired, in 1965, Jimi had already been in several road bands and had left Nashville, although he still maintained contacts in the area. May have been touring with Little Richard and Ike and Tina Turner.

The studio where this, and other sessions of Night Train were taped, is still standing.

Thanks for posting this glimpse back in time. PC

*Now that I think about it, he may have used the ironing board so he could play while standing. As I remember at the time, electric pianos (as well as acoustic pianos) were made to be played while seated--Sam would have none of that.

Peacoat

Bartender
[video=youtube;r1XidVrq-Kg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1XidVrq-Kg[/video]

Great HD. Thanks for digging this one up. Although Duane's slide is showcased, Dickie Betts gets to show off a bit on his straight playing--real tasty.

This all brings back great memories. Just wish Duane were still here to remember them as well.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Great HD. Thanks for digging this one up. Although Duane's slide is showcased, Dickie Betts gets to show off a bit on his straight playing--real tasty.

This all brings back great memories. Just wish Duane were still here to remember them as well.

Slightly off topic, gentlemen.

JLStorm

Practically Family
The amount of information I unintentionally learn while on this forum never ceases to amaze me. In the last two days I've learned a bit about music and world history. I think its pretty darn cool!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The amount of information I unintentionally learn while on this forum never ceases to amaze me. In the last two days I've learned a bit about music and world history. I think its pretty darn cool!

There are a few FL members who seem to have quite a bit of musical knowledge that is interesting to follow. My knowledge of history is that we seem not to learn from history and continue to repeat prior mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy