Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Audrey Horne said:
I've heard many good things about the Dry Touch but I absolutely hate it for myself. I've even gone back to it multiple times thinking that maybe it really is that great and I should give it another try. Unless they've changed the formula it has a really strong heavy sun block smell and it makes the skin around my eyes burn. :(

That's good to know, I have sensitive skin.

Redhead

New in Town
I've used the Dry Touch from Neutrogena and I didn't like it either. It flakes off of my arms in a weird gluey-powder form when I'm sweating in the car on road trips. I like Aveeno's SPF70 spray sunscreen for the pleasant smell and I use it on my face too. I just skip makeup in the summer since it's pointless to wear it in the Sacramento heat (I wash my face at least 5 times a day in the peak of summer), and it doesn't make me feel greasy or breakout.

Chandra

anabolina

A-List Customer
Does anyone know anything about that zinc oxide cream they sell at Walgreens and CVS? I think it's $4 for a 2 oz jar. I bought it because I've never tried it before and I love trying new things and I was impressed with how quickly it sunk in. It took some rubbing, but it didn't leave a film or greasiness.

MissKrystal

New in Town
To keep my skin a nice shade of alabaster, I also use Banana Boat SPF 50 Ultra Sunblock. I really enjoy it, I find it works for me, and I have never had a problem with wearing my makeup over it daily. I don't spray it directly on my face though, I spray it onto the palm of my hand so a little pool gathers and then apply it evenly to my face. Also, the smell isn't overpowering it, I find it smells similar to Dove soap. Hope this helps!

DameIniquitous

New in Town
My sun rituals are probably obsessive, but with sensitive skin and genetics that do not enjoy the sun, it's what keeps me sane.

L'Oreal Ombrelle SPF 60 for body

Neutrogena dry touch SPF 55 for face, neck and ears

Neutrogena SPF 45 aerosol spray for touch ups

2 parasols, various hats, sunglasses and not going outside between noon and 4pm when the days get sunny.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I just want to say THANK YOU to Tinseltown who recommended La Roche-Posay Lait/Lotion 50+ (and started this thread), and to Laura Chase who sent it to me from Denmark! Also, thank you Darhling for letting me bug you about it haha. Laura could only find the child version ("children's fragile skin"), and I'm in love with it. It's the first sunscreen ever that hasn't made my face break out! Usually I just protect my body, wear nothing on my face:eek: and carry a parasol. To make matters worse I only started doing this last summer, up until then I was a sunbathing queen! I hope my genes can save me from my decadent past...
swimsuit025x.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I was curious about if sunscreen was used back then and looked at the wikipedia page - if it is true, the first sunscreen was made in 1938 and had an estimated spf of 2, later on in 1944 there was a widely used product but it was reddish and quite sticky.

Does anyone know if keeping skin fair was popular back then? Looking at the old pictures posted in another thread, sunbathing was quite popular.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I was curious about if sunscreen was used back then and looked at the wikipedia page - if it is true, the first sunscreen was made in 1938 and had an estimated spf of 2, later on in 1944 there was a widely used product but it was reddish and quite sticky.

Does anyone know if keeping skin fair was popular back then? Looking at the old pictures posted in another thread, sunbathing was quite popular.

In the 20's, being pale was still a bit of an ideal. But in the 30's it was very, very popular to be tanned, and women sunbathed and did all sorts of outdoor activities and sports.

I'm not sure about the 50's, but my guess would be that in the 50's, fair skin was idealized once more, but I mostly base this on the fact that to me it seems like, in general, all the idealized, rigid views on femininity came back in vogue in the 50's. [huh]

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Darhling, that's a good question. It's been discussed in the "Pale or Tan?" thread. Here are some of the answers:
Miss Sis said:
Coco Chanel started the whole sun tanning thing in the 1920s. It was a reaction to the horrors of the First World War, now the party loving Bright Young Things were spending summers in the South of France or other sunny climes partying. They had the time and money to get a tan out of season. The 1930s saw people believing tanned was beautiful and healthy as you were able to spend time outdoors.
GreyAndWhiteCat said:
Supposedly this is connected to the industrial revolution. Before it, only the gentry could afford to stay indoors or have parasols instead of having to work outside, where you would naturally get a tan. So by retain a milky white colour you showed that you didn’t belong to the poor or the working class. When the industrial revolution was complete in Europe at the end of WWI, the working class and the poor had moved in to the factories and offices. So the jetsetters of the 1920s started to sun bath. The tan now showed that you could afford to lounge on the beach and do sports, instead of working. I’m not sure how true this is. I mean construction worker and farmers where still doing there work in the outdoors. And of course, there where plenty of rich and famous people in the forties and fifties who didn’t get a tan.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
The 40s and 50s are my favorite decades, and during these two I'm under the impression that both a healthy golden tan and skin as pale as cream were beauty ideals. I would guess that tanning was a natural, summery thing to do. This is the picture I've gotten from reading vintage magazines, advice in beauty books, studying pics, etc.
3248328734_9ff73013cf.jpg

The title of the slide reads:
"Light and Dark Meat - Judy Sargent + blonde friend stroll along lake shore"

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Cherry Lips - I am glad I could help in any way! The cream you've got isn't the same as mine, but generally La Roche Posay is a really great brand, especially for people with reactive skin! I can also recommend Toleriane facial moisturizer (the regular, not the Fluide or Riche version) - I use this under my sunscreen...it's very very light but moisturizing, still. :eusa_clap

Lillemor

One Too Many
I wear spf 50 even though I supposedly don't need it and tan anyway just by looking at the sun it seems. I'm just trying to take care of myself. I don't expose as much skin as I used to when it's hot. I'd rather wear something longer, thin and flowing but as they explained on Danish TV yesterday, you have to wear sun screen under those thin, flowing, often light colored fabrics.

My dad says tanning was in, in CA as long as he can remember and he's from 1943. He knew older people as a child who were already leathery. They thought it was healthy.

My dad only realized it wasn't healthy last year when a "mole" had to be removed. He recalls purposely setting me in the sun without clothes and he claims without sun screen because he thought it was healthy for me.:rolleyes: My mom says he just didn't know that she applied sun screen before sending me out but I know that my dad was my main carer from 2 months-5 years because my mother was an air hostess.

Now I become paranoid every time I see a new dark spot.

Lillemor

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
To make matters worse I only started doing this last summer, up until then I was a sunbathing queen! I hope my genes can save me from my decadent past...

Cherry lips, I wish you the best!:) Regardless, doing nothing to change those old habits would be worse. I also only became religious with the sun screen last year but I tan anyway. I need my 1 hr. walk every day!

I'm gonna don my hat and go for a walk now.:) I've never really worn it before now. It's a cheap one we bought one of the many times we drove up to Himmelbjerget which isn't far from where we live, because I needed the string to replace a broken shoe lace. I'll use the hat for its intended purpose in the future.

Where do I find summer gloves? Not that I think they can replace sun screen.

Sydney Loren

Familiar Face
I just recently went to the Coachella Music Festival and made the mistake of applying sunscreen to my face. While it did prevent me from burning it backfired and caused me to break out like never before.

On a lighter note, I am incredibly thankful for this thread as I've been looking for a new kind to use since the incident. :eusa_clap

Lillemor

One Too Many
Sydney Loren said:
I just recently went to the Coachella Music Festival and made the mistake of applying sunscreen to my face. While it did prevent me from burning it backfired and caused me to break out like never before.

On a lighter note, I am incredibly thankful for this thread as I've been looking for a new kind to use since the incident. :eusa_clap

I hope the breakout is temporary and doesn't leave any permanent scars. I know it's annoying to put it mildly but hopefullly the breakout won't leave permanent damage the way the sun can.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Pardon me if I'm intruding in the powder room, but as a redhead I need all the help I can avoiding the sun's rays. It's actually kind of difficult finding high end sunblocks marketed for men.

Several people mentioned Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch suncreen which, from what people here and neutrogena's website say, sounds really great. Does anybody knows what kind of fragrance it has? Is it particularly perfume-like?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Guttersnipe - I love sunblocks for kids! They often have none or a very mild soapy scent that quickly fades and they are all very high in SPF. Some are also free from parabens and such.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Guttersnipe said:
Pardon me if I'm intruding in the powder room, but as a redhead I need all the help I can avoiding the sun's rays. It's actually kind of difficult finding high end sunblocks marketed for men.

Several people mentioned Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch suncreen which, from what people here and neutrogena's website say, sounds really great. Does anybody knows what kind of fragrance it has? Is it particularly perfume-like?
I talked about my experience with Dry Touch on page 2 near the bottom. It doesn't work well with my skin. It does absorb well though and it keeps me from getting burned or tanned.

I don't think you need to look for sunblock marketed to men since they're usually not really feminine anyway. I've also recently tried these:

Neutrogena Age Shield SPF 45 - This didn't irritate my skin and it soaked in nicely. The smell was normal and not too overpowering. I had one major problem with it though. It tended to bead up into white flakey spots if I rubbed my skin at all. This was really bad on my face and looked awful :(

Aveeno Positively Ageless SPF 70 for face - Worked well overall. Made my face a bit shiny and didn't look nice under makeup (not that that matters for you!).

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone - I have fair skin that burns really easy and is also very sensitive to products. I am finishing my first tube of Aveeno Naturals for face SPF 30and I like it. No breakouts, no odd smell or excessive shine. It feels more like moisturizer than sunscreen. I haven't tried it under makeup yet so I don't know how that will go.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
scarlett said:
Hi everyone - I have fair skin that burns really easy and is also very sensitive to products. I am finishing my first tube of Aveeno Naturals for face SPF 30and I like it. No breakouts, no odd smell or excessive shine. It feels more like moisturizer than sunscreen. I haven't tried it under makeup yet so I don't know how that will go.
Thanks, maybe the lower SPF will look a bit better for the face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails