Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Bags

Lenore

Practically Family
I love my everyday bag. I found it on Dolly's website, and fell in love. I had to have it and the Monkey HAD to have one that matched Mommy's...

cupcakebags.jpg

Last edited:

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I really like purses. A lot. I tend to rotate them, but I often carry an extra tote to work for reading material, Nook, ipod/headphones and lunch.
lucitepurses2.jpg

lucitepurses1.jpg

The tote is made from an old magazine cover and salvaged upholstery, with bicycle tire inner tubes for straps
purses1.jpg

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I am currently using a vintage purse and a vintage camera bag for work but I find that the camera bag is too small if I want to carry my larger lens with it, and it doesn't fit a notebook or my tablet. So Monday I'm treating myself to this bag (with my birthday money!)

il_570xN.263295207.jpg

Keri is a local-to-me Etsy seller and she makes her bags out of re-purposed vintage fabrics (she also ships to Canada, the US and internationally!) This is the blurb she gives for the bag:
This satchel is created from a WWII wool blanket and genuine leather for the sides and bottom. The short straps are from a military parachute pack and the adjustable shoulder strap is a military surplus gun sling. The interior is a sturdy tarp canvass and features a belted strap to hold your laptop snugly in place, two large leather pockets to hold all your gadgets, and a trigger snap clasp to keep your keys handy.

I'm so excited!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
With the WAC bags, what is their approximate size in inches? (Length, width, depth, height?) If anyone has one of these and can give me an estimate, I would really appreciate it. :) Thank you in advance!

Also, I am assuming that you can wear it "military style" or across the body? Is the strap adjustable, so that I can accomodate winter coats and summer wear? (If not, I can tie it in a knot, or add my own buckle.)

I cannot seem to find any information about their size online, and I want to ensure that I don't end up with a mammoth bag OR with a bag that is too small. I am really more concerned about the former, I can cut down on what I carry. :) But I do need a bag that I can wear across my body.

My vinyl bag that looks similar to the WAC bag (a sears purchase) died after about 3 years of use. The stitching is coming out, the clasp broke, the strap broke, and the vinyl is starting to degrade a bit. I am going to try and patch it, but in reality I would prefer to put that money into a new bag that is going to be more mendable. I am willing to invest some cash into a repairable high quality bag, figuring that it will last me for decades.

ETA: Size in appproximate centimeters would be ok too. ;)

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My everyday bag is a Vuitton Speedy 35. It transitions really well between modern outfits and vintage. It is big enough to carry everything I need - 2 makeup bags, wallet, umbrella, magazine, netbook, blackberry, and whatever else I might need that day. I love purses and I prefer bigger bags. I also have large totes by Michael Kors & Tory Burch, and a Timbuk 2 bag.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
With the WAC bags, what is their approximate size in inches? (Length, width, depth, height?) If anyone has one of these and can give me an estimate, I would really appreciate it. :) Thank you in advance!

Also, I am assuming that you can wear it "military style" or across the body? Is the strap adjustable, so that I can accomodate winter coats and summer wear? (If not, I can tie it in a knot, or add my own buckle.)

I cannot seem to find any information about their size online, and I want to ensure that I don't end up with a mammoth bag OR with a bag that is too small. I am really more concerned about the former, I can cut down on what I carry. :) But I do need a bag that I can wear across my body.

My vinyl bag that looks similar to the WAC bag (a sears purchase) died after about 3 years of use. The stitching is coming out, the clasp broke, the strap broke, and the vinyl is starting to degrade a bit. I am going to try and patch it, but in reality I would prefer to put that money into a new bag that is going to be more mendable. I am willing to invest some cash into a repairable high quality bag, figuring that it will last me for decades.

ETA: Size in appproximate centimeters would be ok too. ;)

My WAC bag is about 9 inches wide by 7 1/2 inches high and expands to about 5 to 5 1/2 inches deep.

The strap is removable -- there are two metal gripper snaps at the ends that loop thru a stitched leather band on the back. It can be adjusted by a buckle slide to a handbag configuration if desired. The strap is two-ply stitched pigskin leather, and is very sturdy, but the snaps can loosen with use, especially if your bag is heavily loaded. I ended up stitching the ends of the strap closed, since I don't expect to need to remove the strap.

I always wear mine military style -- keeps it safe from purse-snatching drug addicts when I'm leaving the theatre at night!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
My WAC bag is about 9 inches wide by 7 1/2 inches high and expands to about 5 to 5 1/2 inches deep.

The strap is removable -- there are two metal gripper snaps at the ends that loop thru a stitched leather band on the back. It can be adjusted by a buckle slide to a handbag configuration if desired. The strap is two-ply stitched pigskin leather, and is very sturdy, but the snaps can loosen with use, especially if your bag is heavily loaded. I ended up stitching the ends of the strap closed, since I don't expect to need to remove the strap.

I always wear mine military style -- keeps it safe from purse-snatching drug addicts when I'm leaving the theatre at night!

I like my Trophy Queen for every day it wears like Iron have had two and only bought a second one because I wanted a larger bag. I have this one.http://www.trophyqueen.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=40 Although I have a ton of other purses that are more vintage I just carry too much stuff around and don't want to worry about damaging my vintage bags. Besides I am a big fan of the old tuck and roll.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Your description was wonderful- thank you so much! I really appreciate it. :)

It sounds like it would be a perfect fit for my needs- I only carry keys, cellphone, wallet, comb, small compact, and lipstick- nothing too heavy or bulky. Sometimes I have a purse umbrella, but that is rare- like twice a year. Now I just need to buy one.

I also always wear my purse military style, I think it is a lot safer. (I take the bus, and the transfer point has many purse snatchings.) I've had huge problems finding a bag I can wear in the past 10 years, as the long strap isn't the style now and the bags I have found are way too big for my needs. The more space I have the more junk I think I have to carry. I need less junk, not more. :)

Thanks again!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Bluebird Marsha - I'm loving the lucite!

This is my every day bag - I bought it for myself as a treat when I discovered I was expecting (I figured I wouldn't be buying too many regular clothes for a while so might as well have a lovely bag!) - it's a great bag and can fit all the things I need to have with me every day:

211944_FAFXG_8526_001.jpg

Marla

A-List Customer
Here are my everyday bags. A vintage camera case on the left that I actually use to carry my analog camera and my school 'batchel' on the right for carrying papers and pens.

DSCN0882.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
It sounds like it would be a perfect fit for my needs- I only carry keys, cellphone, wallet, comb, small compact, and lipstick- nothing too heavy or bulky. Sometimes I have a purse umbrella, but that is rare- like twice a year. Now I just need to buy one.

I have the WAC bag as well. It will definitely hold everything you need. I carry my Blackberry, wallet, multiple cosmetic items including at least 1 large vintage compact, comb, mints, sometimes my husband's cigar case, and still have room left over. I always wear mine with the strap on, military style across the body. I find that mine hangs a little odd if I just wear it on my shoulder, especially if it is full of stuff.

I also have the reproduction Army Nurse Corps bag. Real similar to the WAC bag, except it is rectangular and slightly more roomy. Both are sturdy, well-made bags that will last for years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy