Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Fellows of the Golden Era?

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
An RAF pilot has his hair cut at a British airfield, circa 1942.

88558994.jpg
What a great photo!! Really like that!

region4

New in Town
The photos I've posted in this other thread probably belong here then. But at any rate here's another, of my granddad around 1926. Boy do I wish this outfit still existed in the family:

dblbreasted001.jpg

I don't suppose anyone could identify the location based just on the clock tower in the background? I think this might be somewhere in France -- Trouville, maybe?

This is Chief Machinist's Mate C.R. Spicer and the crew of submarine chaser SC-144 that was based at Cape May, NJ in 1918. I don't know if I've previously posted them here before but I did post them at another forum. I found these pics at a swap meet some twenty-five years ago (please bear with me on these postage stamp-sized prints!). They were stuck between the pages of an engine manual for a 110-foot sub chaser (specifically SC-144) which presumably belonged to Chief Spicer.

SCN_0001.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Just saw this as the thread popped to the top of the queue. Mr. Fancy socks with just the right amount of shirt cuff showing gets my vote.

You are right.

"Believe it or not, it’s actually a nod to men in the 1930s and early 1940s, many of which loved striped or otherwise wildly patterned socks. For evidence, simply look at the bottom row of almost any class pictures during the 30s and early 40s."

You are right.

"Believe it or not, it’s actually a nod to men in the 1930s and early 1940s, many of which loved striped or otherwise wildly patterned socks. For evidence, simply look at the bottom row of almost any class pictures during the 30s and early 40s."

There is a kernel of wild in humans. When society has tight rules on dress, that spirit will pop up in small ways such as the wild-patterned socks you pointed out or the GTH colors of prep attire. Where things get really interesting is when the rules have been off for a long time - such as now - and the easy wild has been done: 1960s rock and roll attire, 1970s disco clothes [ugh], late 1970s / early 1980s punk, 1990s grunge et al. - were all in their own way a look-at-how-wild-we-are way to dress. Now, dressing wild requires half-court shots and sartorial nuclear launches. To wit, even tattoos have gone mainstream. There's not much crazy left to do / not much left that can shock. Could it be that the revival in "heritage" dress reflects an exhaustion in clothes-as-rebellion ideas? Is dressing well the only shocking thing left to do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21