Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyone famous or non famous in hats or caps or any kind of headwear !!!

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Outside of All in the Family and The French Connection, what are some 1970s shows and movies in which the main character wore a hat? I ask because the '70s are generally considered to be after the "era" of the hat and yet as we see with Popeye Doyle andArchie Bunker that a main character or hero in a program wearing a fedora or porkpie didn't look utterly out of place. That hats, while their popularity had declined, had a place in "mainstream" clothing as late as the '70s.

Also, did you know anyone in real life--friends or family or neighbors--who wore a fedora or other kind of hat in the 1970s?

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, did you know anyone in real life--friends or family or neighbors--who wore a fedora or other kind of hat in the 1970s?

My grandfather never left the house without a fedora until he died in 1981. He had a stroke with me in the back seat but drove home. When the ambulance arrived, they had him sitting up on the gurney & he made them stop on the doorstep for me to go get his Stetson.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Or this Kolchak...

kolchak_the_night_stalker_386_1280.jpg

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Celebrities past and present in hats

Please merge if there's already a thread for this kind of subject. I apologize if there is one.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr and his wife Coretta in 1964:
martin_luther_king_and_coretta_scott_king.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
In the 70s, McCloud and Kojak both had hat sales campaigns around the hats from their TV shows.
I still own a ... now badly worn ... McCloud Stetson and I remember seeing the Kojak dress hats advertised

There was The Sting

and sadly, Urban Cowboy with its rather negative impact on the western hat industry

Oh, yeah, and I was wearing hats all through the 70s ... In fact, I still wear a couple of vintage hats that I bought in the 70s, including a great Knox 25 I recently had restored at Wichita Hat Works. They gave it another generation of wear ... at least

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo