Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everything Old is....

Deacon211

One Too Many
Oh, I agree that Orvis makes some nice stuff. I still have a great Harris Tweed Shooting jacket that has lasted me a decade and looks great. But, man, is this stuff expensive!

Concur also on the Cockpit. The amount people will pay for fashion versions of classic leather is pretty amazing.

Stand By

One Too Many
Getting back to the Orvis subject, I'd just say (again) that the stuff is very nice and what I like about their catalogues is that they can put together certain "themes" of style - such as a vintage flyer look and navy seaman look, safari, "Our Man In Havana" look, western cowboy etc and they're nicely done for the most part - and, for me, it's all just nice to see what's out there as an idea of what to pair/match my jackets/gear with, without going over the top … and I like their summer catalogues especially as I've noticed that I can dress myself with some style when it comes to Fall, Winter and Spring - but when it comes to Summer, I suddenly seem clueless ! I dress like a nerd and no longer seem to get any sense of what suits me … and my girlfriend has said as much! So they're good for that, to get ideas and see nice Horween leather belts, Barbour jackets, and the Wolverine boots, sweaters and sunglasses and such. Their clay shooting gear is also really nice.
It's just affording any of it. Aye, that is the rub ….

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like many of the other online retailers, Orvis has different tiers of quality. I've been extremely disappointed with a couple of items I've bought from them, particularly a "Munitions" jacket with lambskin the consistency of toilet paper (this was before I discovered this forum).

Stand By

One Too Many
Indeed, Topicalbob. As I said earlier, it pays to look at the customer reviews on their website - as sometimes the higher price does NOT automatically equate to higher quality … I'm sorry you discovered that the hard way. It was a nice looking munitions vest though !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80