Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everything Old is....

Deacon211

One Too Many
....new again.

Was paging through the latest catalogue from Orvis. For those that aren't familiar, Orvis is sort of an upscale hunting/fishing outfitter for those that want to look good standing knee deep in mud; or those that want to look like someone who would look good were they to find themselves standing knee deep in mud.

And I came across these:

e855eb2e6c5d234f2274702ae3f2ac8b.jpg

fd6178cec92d8f316bcfc314a6433717.jpg

I'm pretty sure that these are coming from The Cockpit. But I found it interesting that the flight jacket is coming around to be mainstream again after falling into quiet obscurity on the fashion front for what's got to be a decade or more.

Which just goes to show you that almost anything that was once in style will one day be in style again.

Now to dust off my wide shouldered jacket and narrow leather ties! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big J

Call Me a Cab
True.
Actually, I kind of like one of the antiqued G-1s that cockpit does. With a replacement zipper it would be good for my 1965 Sundowners project, but at Cockpit prices, it's overpriced.

armscye

One of the Regulars
Yes, shearling and aviation are back this year: GQ's Fall 2014 "What to Wear Now" has a spiky haired hipster in an Irvin clone with ginger fleece, and a brief tutorial on how sheepskin differs from acrylic pile lining. Plus a spread on the MA-1, complete with photo of Kanye wearing one in sage.

After the last years Perfecto style craze, I figured bombers are up... God, fashion sucks.

devilish

A-List Customer
The MA-1 fashion craze has been going for quite awhile now. If any of you feel brave there is a thread on SuperFuture dedicated to it. Be warned there are some really freaking ugly creations to be found within. Shearling is definitely the next thing to be consumed in mass quantities by the beast that is seasonal fashion. Stand by for a shortage and a price hike. Over on VLJ there is a thread showing the Cabourn 'Coastal Command' abortion, a truly horrible thing to behold.

Stand By

One Too Many
God, the price of these jackets on Orivs is crazy...£1000 for a Cockpit B3? Cant believe it...

Oh yes. I've been getting Orvis catalogs for some time now and it's really lovely stuff in there …. oh, but the prices. Yikes. It pays to read the online product reviews by customers to see if they think the prices reflect the quality of materials.
But they add 20% for Canadian customers. Plus shipping. Plus Canadian GST. Plus the US/Can $ exchange rate (10% right now) … it all adds up to being rather cost prohibitive when you add it all up. So I just "window shop" as I can't justify the prices.
But nice gear nonetheless.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I Just negate to buy in to *mainstream* fashion, same thing with Music, Its overpriced Garbage, you ALWAYS...ALWAYS have to Dig to find what YOU want at the price YOU are willing to spend.

Keep that in mind while I LOVE the look of this G-1 Repro posted here, the price will Simply make me crack a twisted self-satisfied smile.

I can score *real* Jackets like these for the cost of Dirt, I Just have to hit the streets and Scrounge hard.

Rich City Hipsters with Yuppie Money will never understand the ethics of What I am doing in order to sustain my collection of Vintage textiles.

Let them buy the Thousand Pounder B-3s...someone has to.

Just that they will never learn the *true* value of the history lesson inherant with the original Jackets.

kojax

Practically Family
i bought the cockpit vintage goatskin g1 jacket of cockpit usa 2 years ago . i have to say what a nice jacket in the winter i wear it every day. good for snow blowing to. the leather vintage goatskin is soft new..

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Actually people have been wearing leather flying jackets around here for a while now. I haven;t seen all that many Perfecto styles since the 1990's, or was that 1980's? A lot of this stuff is subculture and class based so if your in a white-bread, mall inspired area the look is very different to the inner city where I live.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
The MA-1 fashion craze has been going for quite awhile now. If any of you feel brave there is a thread on SuperFuture dedicated to it. Be warned there are some really freaking ugly creations to be found within. Shearling is definitely the next thing to be consumed in mass quantities by the beast that is seasonal fashion. Stand by for a shortage and a price hike. Over on VLJ there is a thread showing the Cabourn 'Coastal Command' abortion, a truly horrible thing to behold.

Well, according to this website, Aero has sold us out and gone running after the easy money from Cabourn. If this is true, I swear I will never grace Aero's door with my cash again. Ever.

http://stureplan.se/bloggar/money-c.../nigel-cabourn-coastal-command-sheepskin-coat

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Remember that's fashion. We're into JACKETS.

This this explains why old G-1's are suddenly selling for crazy prices, as was noted on some other threads.
The upside to all this is that next year when flight jackets are no longer 'cool', we should be able to pick up some bargains.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Good lord, no! If I recall there was a collaboration with Cabourn years back, under the old regime - Edward can confirm this - and produced something like this. But given that Aero have just started producing a period accurate Coastal Command Irvin, and that Alexander Leather have been doing stuff for Cabourn of late, I seriously doubt that this is au currant. so to speak.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Good lord, no! If I recall there was a collaboration with Cabourn years back, under the old regime - Edward can confirm this - and produced something like this. But given that Aero have just started producing a period accurate Coastal Command Irvin, and that Alexander Leather have been doing stuff for Cabourn of late, I seriously doubt that this is au currant. so to speak.

If you're trying to tell me that I made a mistake, I'd be most relieved. I saw pics of the Aero CC Irvin, I thought it was really nice.
I've never bought anything from Alexander Leather anyway.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Given Aero's abiding resistance to being connected with AL in any way, shape or form, even if it's only by association through collaborations or stockists, I doubt this has anything to do with them.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Actually people have been wearing leather flying jackets around here for a while now. I haven;t seen all that many Perfecto styles since the 1990's, or was that 1980's? A lot of this stuff is subculture and class based so if your in a white-bread, mall inspired area the look is very different to the inner city where I live.

I see virtually zero flight jackets around in the states anymore. There have always been a few like LL Bean that kept some semblance of a flight-ish jacket in their catalogue, but nothing like the old days in the late '80s, early '90s when absolutely everyone had some mediocre A-2 clone.

Not like I care particularly about being in fashion. But I do find it interesting when one classic or another comes back in style. And since I have a recent buttload of leather in my closet, I am suddenly cutting edge! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass