Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ew! Armpit stink!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Couldn't resist the title ;)
I have a great 1940s coat I bought online but it absolutely reeked of underarm perspiration. I got it dry cleaned and it looks clean, but you can tell the smell is just being covered up by an ungodly amount of perfumed spray.
Is there any hope for my coat?
Any help or pointers to other threads would be most appreciated.

sproily

Practically Family
Whatever you do don't spray any fragrances on it. Just makes it worse.

You'll smell like a cheap date.

Instead, I've had good experiences with steam.

You might also want to try very hot, almost boiling water + vinegar in a tub and hang your coat above it overnight or so. I don't have any experience but I've heard of it done.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Ozone

I recommend looking for a cleaner that offers an Ozone process. When I was involved with touring shows, the performers would sweat heavily under the stage lights. We would send out the one-of-a-kind, very expensive, costumes for this treatment, and it worked wonderfully, even one jeweled and sequined garments.

You might also try a "fabreeze" type product as well. I would turn the garment inside out to spray and let air completely. Although usually fragrance enhanced, several days of airing should solve this.

Many stage shows, costume shops, theaters, etc. use a little known trick.... Vodka ! Vodka in a spray bottle, turn the garment inside out, spray and let air out. The alcohol draws out the smell and dries relatively quick. Cheap Vodka works great, as you wouldn't want to spritz away quality liquor anyway.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Great! Thanks, guys! I have heard the vodka trick, too- now that you mention it- but had forgotten. I'll give that a try and see if it works.... after I pick some up at the store. I'll let you know how it works.
Thanks so much! The coat was inexpensive but is really nice other than the stinkiness!

Mike K.

One Too Many
I had a similar problem with an old WWII uniform and tried all the odor-removing gimmicks listed across the internet - baking soda, vinegar, Febreeze, dry cleaning, etc. The problem with body odor from a biological standpoint is that it is an oil-based scent; therefore, it has a very long lifespan and is difficult to remove by the "usual" techniques that work on other odors. Although I never tried it on the vintage garment, I have had success removing similarly difficult odors using the citrus-based products designed for dog/cat clean-up. Also, there are products sold in hunting/sporting stores designed for eliminating human odor that might also be worth a try.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Lauren said:
Great! Thanks, guys! I have heard the vodka trick, too- now that you mention it- but had forgotten. I'll give that a try and see if it works.... after I pick some up at the store. I'll let you know how it works.
Thanks so much! The coat was inexpensive but is really nice other than the stinkiness!

Maybe the coat had been stored and just never had any chance to air out. Can you turn it inside out and hang it outdoors for a few hours or by an open window for a day or so?

If the vodka doesn't do the trick, just pour yourself a glass and call it a day.
:cheers1:

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Only thing that has worked for me is airing it out, outside, in a place hidden from the sun, for as long as it takes. Airing it out in the bathroom for awhile also works, because the steam from the shower gets in there. But the bathroom method takes much longer.

s_crumb

Familiar Face
The old trick for selvage jeans is to throw them in the freezer when they start to smell. That works for me. Might work on a jacket, I dunno. Worth a shot, cant hurt anything.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I noticed BO on a linen shirt after I had washed it and started to iron it. I let it soak for an hour in a mixture of tepid water and Biz, then rewashed it. That got the funk out.

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
There is a good, industrial strength product called Zorbex, that comes in large and small spray bottles - this can usually be found at Lowe's, Home Depot or similar home improvement stores. I originally bought it to deodorize a basement which had been used for a garage, and reeked of diesel and gasoline smells, and it has never smelled again to this day. Out of curiosity I tried it on a 1930's Palm Beach suit that had pretty bad underarm stank - and it worked.

I sprayed it pretty heavy and let it air dry in the sun, and it never smelled again - didn't do anything but a regular dry cleaning afterwards. The suit was navy blue, and it didn't cause fading, etc. Don't know if it would leave spots or watermarks on a lighter colored fabric.

Zorbex doesn't really have it's own odor - leaves behind a kind of ozone/ionized smell.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
It's the wool

I have noticed this in collecting old woolen clothing.

A group of us formed a World War II unit several years ago to help out with honor programs for the shrinking number of WWII vets and this problem was almost universal with the used wool issue shirts.

Of course the problem is more difficult with a dress coat or overcoat than with a wool shirt because you have a much bigger job in laundering.

The fabreeze idea can work.

You might try dousing it well with that and then let it air outdoors.

Aftershave, as you have learned, doesn't make things better.[huh]

Sometimes, sad to say, it's a lost cause.

jsands

New in Town
Mountain Man said:
There is a good, industrial strength product called Zorbex, that comes in large and small spray bottles - this can usually be found at Lowe's, Home Depot or similar home improvement stores. I originally bought it to deodorize a basement which had been used for a garage, and reeked of diesel and gasoline smells, and it has never smelled again to this day. Out of curiosity I tried it on a 1930's Palm Beach suit that had pretty bad underarm stank - and it worked.

I sprayed it pretty heavy and let it air dry in the sun, and it never smelled again - didn't do anything but a regular dry cleaning afterwards. The suit was navy blue, and it didn't cause fading, etc. Don't know if it would leave spots or watermarks on a lighter colored fabric.

Zorbex doesn't really have it's own odor - leaves behind a kind of ozone/ionized smell.

Zorbex is great stuff. I had my first introduction with it when I bought my Dyson a few years ago. Within the box came a free sample of Zorbex carpet cleaning spray. It helped eliminate funky smells and remove a persistent pet stain on our carpet. I haven't used it on clothing, but I highly recommend giving it a try!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
If you are talking about that distinct vintage funk, then I sympathise. It is particularly rank, and often only become noticeable when you have worn it out of the house already and heat it up, then you start wondering what that smell is and you realize it is you.

Those that suggest airing out, etc, probably have never had to deal with that vintage funk. it is very persistent.

But, there is hope. Some swear by vodka. Worth a try. i have never tried it.

But, if you can actually wash it in soap and water, that will do it. if it is dry clean only, then use baking soda in a spray bottle. I have had to do multiple applications 2-3 sometimes, but once twice or three times has always gotten it out, even on a leather coat. That one I had to continue saturating for days as the leather was fairly waterproofed. But it eventually did it and it never came back. Some times you may not even have to clean it, but if it leaves residue, just brush it or dry clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda