Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excuse me Miss, do you Blog?

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
Lady Day said:
nvlbannermmm.jpg

Hey ladies (and gents)! In an ongoing attempt to keep busy in the real world and the nether regions of the tubal inter-webs, for the month of July, Im hosting my first sew-along.

If you are not too busy, perhaps you will join in?

Thanks!

LD
I added your Sew-Along to my blog's side bar. It's a wonderful idea.

SayCici

Practically Family
LD, I saw that and totally want to participate, but can you clarify these two:

"Alter a current pattern for a new garment."
Does this mean use a modern pattern, or take a pattern you already own and alter it like, making a blouse from a dress pattern?

"Repurpose at least one piece of fabric."
Is this like using fabric to make a purse or buttons or a hat instead of toward clothing?

I just realized my niece's birthday is at the end of the month and I still need to make my dad a father's day shirt (...what...) so I'll have no problem knocking out the last rule!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Say! Cici,

To your questions: The latter to the first one, and yes all the way to the second. Its not necessarily a vintage sew-along, just Make & Mend themed.

Yay sewing!

LD

SayCici

Practically Family
Awesome LD, I'm totally in and once I get something done I'll make sure to post about it on my blog too!

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
New blog for me: http://tenukihandcrafts.blogspot.com/

I have started sewing on the Folkwear 30s Day Dress. Granted, I'm not very far, and every weekend in July is booked up, but now that it is light later in the evening, I can spend a bit of my weeknight's sewing.

..now if only we could get an actual summer, I wouldn't need to knit a sweater to go with the dress:eusa_doh:

Asdf

New in Town
My blog:

http://usuallycomatose.wordpress.com/

It's generally just somewhere for me to gush over lovely things that I want, or to post my (often shamefully bad) attempts at hairstyles from various eras. You see, I think I'd drive my friends insane if I kept running up to them with pictures of hairstyles, but with a blog that doesn't happen... it's a win-win situation :)

xx

Retro Chick

New in Town
There's a lot of blogs on this thread I already read, however I now have about a million pages open for new blogs to go and explore, so that's probably the rest of the day gone! :D

I write a blog http://www.retrochick.co.uk.

Why did you start your blog?
I started selling second hand and vintage clothing on eBay after I left an office job that was making me miserable. A blog was a recommended way of promoting my shop so I started it in April 2008. I didn't really know what I was doing as I didn't even read any blogs at the point.

How did you decide on a topic, find your niche?
I don't think I really have a niche. I'm mostly fashion and vintage. I do outfit posts and hair and beauty posts, but I generally just witter about whatever I want. It's certainly become more personal since it first started, I didn't do outfit posts for at least 6 months.

Are you motivated to maintain your blog, why?

Very, it's my job! It's become more of a focus than the clothes selling. It really took off Summer last year when I moved it to it's own domain and now I have about 600 feedburner subscribers which is up from 150 this time last year! The fact that it still seems to be growing and changing makes me more enthusiastic about it than ever. Though I wish I had more focus sometimes to turn the blog and brand into more of a business.

Have you found your blog to be an outlet or a way to stay passionate?
Both. I love the blogging community and I think I've changed so much since I started mine.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My blog, Grosvenor Square, (link in sig) is about the writing life. I'm a creative writer (I do freelance writing, also, and that helps pay the bills right now, but my passion is in writing novels set in WW2) and I love to delve into the writing craft and share how writing sets the pace for the rest of my life.

Why did you start your blog?I started it 5 years ago as a way to connect with other writers. I've been very fortunate to meet some fellow bloggers in person. When I went to England two years ago, I even stayed with a fellow blogger (who is also a writer) and had the best time.

Writing is such a huge part of my life that there was really no question about what my topic would be. But I also post about my personal life. My friends and family use the blog to keep up with my activities.

Are you motivated to maintain your blog, why?I get burned out sometimes. The first year or so, I blogged almost every day. But this last month, I took about a month-long break. It wasn't enjoyable anymore. I'm back to a few posts a week, now, and I'm loving it again.

Have you found your blog to be an outlet or a way to stay passionate?Yes! Writing is a solitary endeavor and knowing that others are going through the same things I am really helps. And I need all the motivation I can get sometimes!

whaleomelette

New in Town
best bloggins website? fashion?

today someone suggested i post a fashion blog on-line.
after loads of compliments of my clothes, including the staff of my local vivianne westwood shop, i think it might be a good idea
any ideas on what blog websites are good?
i dont usually do the facebook,myspace or blogging thing, so i wouldnt know

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I think because there were so many blogs I loved and followed, that I wanted to try out having my own.

I think because I've always loved clothes and thrifting, and then it kind of morphed into vintage fashion as I became interested in that. You can sort of see that on my blog, if you go back to the earlier pages. It started out with me and dresses and skirts, but still very new modern style, then as time goes on I get into vintage. I'm still not sure exactly how that occured though.

Mostly because of my followers. I always love new posts on other peoples blogs, and I try not to keep people waiting on mine. Plus, I enjoy it. (I'm afraid I do take a rather long time inbetween posts often as not though)

Have you found your blog to be an outlet or a way to stay passionate?
Yes I have, it helps me stay inspired and remember how much I love vintage and everything to do with it.

My blog link is www.ohetredanslamour.blogspot.com

velvetongue

Familiar Face
My blog, She's in Fashion, focuses on sewing vintage patterns from the 40s to 50s.

I started it about 3+ years ago when I was teaching myself to knit to keep track of knitting projects. I've recently started blogging again since I've been teaching myself to sew. It keeps track of sewing projects and techniques learned. Lately I've been starting to sew vintage patterns.

It helps to document my progress and to keep notes on sewing patterns and what did and didn't work. It makes me feel accountable for my projects as well and motivates me to finish them. I read other sewing blogs as well, and have learned many techniques that way.

I try to update 3-4 times a week. It helps keep me on track with my sewing progress.

Have you found your blog to be an outlet or a way to stay passionate? Yes! It's useful to keep track of projects that do or don't work, and items that I do or don't wear.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Surprise!

I've gotten responses from two book authors on my blog. One wrote a book with the same name as one of my posts (You Bet your Life) so it popped up on her Google alert. It was on the same topic, too--even though I'd never heard of her book.

Last night I wrote a post about a strength training program, Slow Burn, and the author of the book, Fred Hahn, posted a very detailed, helpful response. I had to read it a few times--I was so surprised that he responded on my humble blog!

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
The best thing about blogging is recieving all the wonderful comments and opening yourself up to meeting and making so many 'blogging pals'. I definitely find that the posts that receive the most comments and are most popular are the simple outfit posts accompanied by a photo. Us girls just love looking at other peoples vintage finds!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
That's very true about simpler posts getting more responses (just like this forum). Unfortunately, my subject matter (solving your own health problems) requires more than a paragraph per post to show readers all the steps. But I think there are enough medical/health/wellness sound bites out there--and a lot of them aren't right for everyone. Some of them aren't right for most.

I try to make the posts interesting and hope that readers find the descriptions of thought processes worthwhile.

missminna

New in Town
Blogging frenzy!

Recently I have been blog busy, posts include reviews of Shoreditch soho house and Bob Bob Ricard, Anglocentric I know but another post, on Kimono isn't! Also a couple of opinion pieces, on weight perception. Please have a look if you have a spare moment, and comment. It is nice to hear from people all over the place, just ignore the dodgy grammar!

http://redlegsinsoho.blogspot.com/

Also I have given in and can be found with the tweeters at
redlegsinsoho

Hope all are well and enjoying their summer.

Minn x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk