Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experience in Freewheelers leather sizing?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
you can post a pic for me to take a look. both your brown and black mulholland.
you know, I am exceptionally professional in this.
but I personally dont advice size 34 labrea. I mean you can try size 36 or let go of this jacket. It is too hard to find 34. and there are other options available.
sure no problem, I'll post some photos of the brown & black jackets. Thanks very much, I appreciate the expertise!

I don't think a size 34 will work, the 19.7" chest on the 36 La Brea is already a concern for me since my preference is closer to 20.5" chest pit to pit. I sure hope a 36 fits well in the body.

Attachments

• IMG_6320.jpg
    IMG_6320.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 745
  • IMG_8425.jpg
    IMG_8425.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 757
  • IMG_2398.PNG
    IMG_2398.PNG
    7.1 MB · Views: 795
  • IMG_6409.JPG
    IMG_6409.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 767

puiyc1203

One of the Regulars
sure no problem, I'll post some photos of the brown & black jackets. Thanks very much, I appreciate the expertise!

I don't think a size 34 will work, the 19.7" chest on the 36 La Brea is already a concern for me since my preference is closer to 20.5" chest pit to pit. I sure hope a 36 fits well in the body.

I think 36 is your choice for la brea
1. I find that the sleeve almost reaches the sleeve, 38 the sleeve would be too long. And regarding that a wider shoulder for 38, sleeve would be pressing on the wrist you would feel pain on it.
2. I think you fit both the jacket quite great and only a little bit crease on the chest, if there is too much crease, then it is too tight, if no crease, then go down 1 size. In this case, I would suggest you to go for la brea of same size.
3. regarding that you said the chest measurements of la brea is a little bit smaller than mulholland. Maybe, but you have missed a detail that it is a motocycle jacket, and most of the time you would pull the zipper only to chest but not up to the shoulder, so there is much more room for you to open your thoracic cavity. And the measurement is not that accurate. I have both of these jacket I could tell la brea is larger than mulholland.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
1. I find that the sleeve almost reaches the sleeve, 38 the sleeve would be too long. And regarding that a wider shoulder for 38, sleeve would be pressing on the wrist you would feel pain on it.
2. I think you fit both the jacket quite great and only a little bit crease on the chest, if there is too much crease, then it is too tight, if no crease, then go down 1 size. In this case, I would suggest you to go for la brea of same size.
3. regarding that you said the chest measurements of la brea is a little bit smaller than mulholland. Maybe, but you have missed a detail that it is a motocycle jacket, and most of the time you would pull the zipper only to chest but not up to the shoulder, so there is much more room for you to open your thoracic cavity. And the measurement is not that accurate. I have both of these jacket I could tell la brea is larger than mulholland.

thanks very much for your feedback! that helps a lot and noted on the pattern being made for being used on a bike, that makes a lot of sense and very good to know that they run larger than what's on the actual measurement. they have the rude black coming out for next year, I was hoping it would be a jack black version but that's okay it's all the same to me.

puiyc1203

One of the Regulars
thanks very much for your feedback! that helps a lot and noted on the pattern being made for being used on a bike, that makes a lot of sense and very good to know that they run larger than what's on the actual measurement. they have the rude black coming out for next year, I was hoping it would be a jack black version but that's okay it's all the same to me.
welcome, their rude black ver would be in stock around sping of 2022, black jack should be a year longer then. they are bascially the same.

Ole K. Vik

A-List Customer
I have both the Mulholland and the La Brea in size 42. The problem with comparison of my two jackets is that the Mulholland is horsehide and the La Brea is deer skin which is very soft. To me the La Brea fits bigger and I can easily fit a sweatshirt or shirt under, while the Mulholland is better with only thinner garments under, like a tee or long sleeved "underwear". I am looking for a La Brea in any horse hide version but would prefer it a tad tighter than my deer skin version. Will that happen just by changing leather type or would sizing down also be necessary? Has anyone chosen to size down for the LaBrea in horse hide compared to Mulholland and have any experience with that?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I've had 4 Freewheelers - Switchyard, Brakeman and 2 Journeymans. One thing to keep in mind is they all sport very high arm holes, and they also sport heavy liners that take up a tad more interior space than say a regular cotton drill lining...which means that when shopping for one you want one that looks from the posted measurements that it will be a hair big. Which doesn't always work because then the sleeves could be way too long. But what you don't want to do is buy one where the measurements look just barely large enough for you. That's what I did with 3 of my 4 jackets, and I wound up with 3 jackets that I could only wear a T-shirt with. And since these are heavy wool lined, they are essentially cold weather/winter jackets, and having a winter jacket that I can only wear a T-shirt under didn't work for me, and I eventually sold off those 3 jackets, even though they looked killer on me. They just weren't practical. I need to be able to layer under a winter coat. But yeah, with freewheelers always go a little big but never too small or even borderline.

Also, before you buy email the shop and ask them to measure the jacket for you to confirm the measurements. The actual measurements of the jackets will differ. I think what they post are the measurements provided by the manufacturer. Actual jacket measurements will vary slightly

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've had 4 Freewheelers - Switchyard, Brakeman and 2 Journeymans. One thing to keep in mind is they all sport very high arm holes, and they also sport heavy liners that take up a tad more interior space than say a regular cotton drill lining...which means that when shopping for one you want one that looks from the posted measurements that it will be a hair big. Which doesn't always work because then the sleeves could be way too long. But what you don't want to do is buy one where the measurements look just barely large enough for you. That's what I did with 3 of my 4 jackets, and I wound up with 3 jackets that I could only wear a T-shirt with. And since these are heavy wool lined, they are essentially cold weather/winter jackets, and having a winter jacket that I can only wear a T-shirt under didn't work for me, and I eventually sold off those 3 jackets, even though they looked killer on me. They just weren't practical. I need to be able to layer under a winter coat. But yeah, with freewheelers always go a little big but never too small or even borderline.

Also, before you buy email the shop and ask them to measure the jacket for you to confirm the measurements. The actual measurements of the jackets will differ. I think what they post are the measurements provided by the manufacturer. Actual jacket measurements will vary slightly
With the high armhole the jacket has to fit your shoulder perfectly or your arm movement would be severely restricted. And that means you cannot simply size up for chest room. It requires a certain amount of shoulder to chest drop to layer underneath. That is why I am not gonna buy another FW soon given the weight I put on since the outbreak.

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars

fwiw I have the same experience - the lining of freeweheeler jackets I've had is thicker than 'normal' ...so if you are between sizes, I'd lean towards the bigger. Or like Cyber Lip said, if the measurements seem like they're really close, but slightly smaller than your usual, go for the size up.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
This is the issue I seem to run into with FW outside of the Mulholland. I really want my next jacket to be a Caboose if/when they make those again but it looks like I'd need a 42 and at that size the sleeve length is probably a good inch longer than I'd like.

Funny, but I had the exact opposite experience with FW. The arms are too short by at least 1 1/2” in my case (size 44 Mulholland). It was advertised as having sleeves measuring 26.3” long but in fact they measure 24.5”. Still bummed out that jacket didn’t workout:rolleyes: The website has since been changed to show 25.78” but I’m skeptical.

I’ll never buy another jacket without someone putting a tape to it.

puiyc1203

One of the Regulars
I have both the Mulholland and the La Brea in size 42. The problem with comparison of my two jackets is that the Mulholland is horsehide and the La Brea is deer skin which is very soft. To me the La Brea fits bigger and I can easily fit a sweatshirt or shirt under, while the Mulholland is better with only thinner garments under, like a tee or long sleeved "underwear". I am looking for a La Brea in any horse hide version but would prefer it a tad tighter than my deer skin version. Will that happen just by changing leather type or would sizing down also be necessary? Has anyone chosen to size down for the LaBrea in horse hide compared to Mulholland and have any experience with that?
same size deerskin is softer but smaller than horsehide, because deer skin is thicker, if you think 42 la brea is too large which is the same problem to me. Go down 1 size for horsehide, that should be alright.
40 horsehide < 42 deerskin< 42 horsehide,

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
I have tried both Mulholland and La Brea in size 40 and 42, all in horsehide. 40 Mulholland < 40 La Brea < 42 Mulholland < 42 La Brea in terms of tightness. 40 La Brea has even longer sleeves than 42 Mulholland.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

Any fit pics. I’m always iNterested in these Models but not 100% i could pull it off.

Colin G

One Too Many
The wool in my wool-lined FW jackets is on par with what is in my Rainbow Country jackets. Not overly thick at all and my Journeyman has a very thin moleskin lining which makes it nice for spring and fall so not all FW jackets have a thick lining, but others ideas of thick may differ than mine. Lining is thicker than a wool flannel or something coming stock in an Aero which just seems like a woolen flannel shirt rather than a proper and durable lining.

@Bfd70 - The Switchyard has the lowest arm hole position of all my FW jackets. My Dustbowl and Journeyman have a higher arm hole plus underarm football-type gussets making mobility unrestricted.

One thing to consider is the slight flare at the bottom which you may not like but I dig it. Also, the collars on the Journeyman and Brakeman sit a bit high while wearing the jacket, almost like a leather shirt so that is also something to think about when looking at these jackets. I noticed the high collars in pictures and once I actually tried some on while in Japan, I new I would buy one. The collar tames down once the jacket breaks in but still sits higher than other jackets I would say.

Last edited:

SLAB

A-List Customer
any advise on sizing the centinela and San Mateo in horsehide? Im 171 cm and 66kg. I wear size 38 in Mulholland and brakeman. Both can be worn with tee and sweatshirt underneath (although a bit tight around the body). The shoulders, length and sleeves fit exactly where I want them to be.

Kuro

Practically Family
any advise on sizing the centinela and San Mateo in horsehide? Im 171 cm and 66kg. I wear size 38 in Mulholland and brakeman. Both can be worn with tee and sweatshirt underneath (although a bit tight around the body). The shoulders, length and sleeves fit exactly where I want them to be.
I can not compare the two. However the Centinela in general has an extreme taper in the cuffs and torso, where you really have to pay attention is below the PTP measurement, it gets pretty narrow, YMMV.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
This info is very reassuring to me as well!

I just ordered a La Brea in size 38 in Auburn, the same size as my Bodie jacket and 1 size down from my last Mulholland, which was slightly too big. The chest measurement is a little small on the Mulholland, but everything else seems good. What you're saying about how it fits means that the 38 should indeed be right for me.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
You might need a 40, unless you have room in the chest with your 38 Mulholland. My San Mateo in 42 was smaller in the chest and just slimmer overall than either of my size 42 Mullholands.

Kuro

Practically Family

A Deerskin La Brea would be so heavenly. Is it the Ochre one, or is it black? I know they made a black Deerskin Centinela if memory serves me, but not 100% certain on the La Brea?

Ole K. Vik

A-List Customer
This info is very reassuring to me as well!

I just ordered a Mulholland in size 38 in Auburn, the same size as my Bodie jacket and 1 size down from my last Mulholland, which was slightly too big. The chest measurement is a little small on the Mulholland, but everything else seems good. What you're saying about how it fits means that the 38 should indeed be right for me.

That is a sweet deal! Congratulations! May I ask how on earth you managed to order a Mulholland in Auburn? Are they taking special orders from anyone willing to pay or is it an inside deal? I would order the La Brea in Auburn tomorrow if I had the chance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko