Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experiences using PayPal family/friends

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Sorry which watch Forum?
I see on Chrono24...dealing with luxury watches...no Paypal...
Again why amonst forum pals.. friends.. chaps ...brothers...why PP..
WE trust each other? or do we not? "bro" "pal" "friend" most words used here...why then PP..??
Again plenty of legal other ways to pay the TFL buy with no 6% ganster fee
We are all friends...why making a Gangster Institution rich when selling amonst bro´s and pal´s ?
Many time this question came up...but so far unanswered...

I understand your points and agree with you - the fees are high and the system is not foolproof. But I got burned once using the requested "friends and family" (not on this forum, of course), and would not do that again; I just pay the fees on my end, which protects me, at least.

What I'm interested in is, what other options are safe, convenient, and traceable ways to pay with a credit card, especially internationally? I'm not trying to be argumentative at all here; I honestly don't know of other better options and would like to know what you have in mind. And it's about impossible for me to get to town during a normal work day for things like bank drafts, etc. and those cost money too.

Thanks for your interest,
Regan

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Hi ,
sorry about your loss.
You got burned by Paypal nobodyelse...they installed this...but not by another payment system.
IBAN is traceable and safe....Credit Cards are safe...you can claim back within 30 or more days (if Gold or special member).
There are many safepay Systems used for watches and jewelery (Google).
But Paypal sorry no way...(Goggle).
Apologies no offence ...to all and all... no more Arguments...its all about business...
We want to make our buyers happy and so far we sold 189 jackets to Japan plus a few test jackets worldwide...NO Paypal and NO complain...
Cheers and good evening from France

breezer

Practically Family
Is Cooper your real name? My real name is not Breezer.........its a user name, and see that picture by my name.....that aint me either.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Hi ,
sorry about your loss.
You got burned by Paypal nobodyelse...they installed this...

I guess my take on it is that I burned myself, to a point, being greedy/(frugal?) and trying to avoid the transfer fees. I guess I look at it as bad karma for trying to cheat the system. The Family/Friends program is, to my understanding, set up so you can send your nephew a birthday gift or your daughter some extra money for college, without incurring any fees for the “work “ that PayPal does to handle the transaction. In that case, no one should be coming up short, so there’s no risk. On a different purchase, just paying the fee by coding the transaction as a purchase and opting to pay the transfer fee myself kept me from being burned again by a seller that didn’t deliver. I got all my money back, although I certainly would have rather had the item.

I can see how a seller would have a hard time proving delivery/receipt of an item, and how the seller could be garnished unjustly by a dishonest buyer. But my experience with PayPal has only been as a buyer.

Again, just offering my perspective, certainly not arguing or disputing your advice. I do appreciate the information on alternative payment options, too!

Take care,
Regan

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use PayPal because it’s so easy...

I haven’t been scammed yet but I always put pretty strict buyer requirements on my eBay sales like minimum positive transactions etc, it’s not perfect but I’ve got 180 successful, scam free transactions under my belt.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but It also seems it can work out ok...

Thuggee

Practically Family
Been using EBay/PayPal as a seller since 2002 never been scammed as a buyer or seller and that’s with 1000s of transactions, saying that I won’t post things to certain countries or allow low or 0 feedback buyers to purchase my items, but then that’s me just being cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Cooper your real name? My real name is not Breezer.........its a user name, and see that picture by my name.....that aint me either.
Man seriously. I'm a little hurt. I thought you were a Donald Sutherland look alike wild man. I guess I'll just go back to instaface where everybody is totally honest about their lives and appearance.

Edward

Bartender
Never had a problem with paypal as buyer or seller. Any issue I had were all with eBay; I don't object to paypal's fee, but eBay suddenly got very greedy about ten years ago, and hiked their charges (introducing the 'final value fee' at that time). While their buyer protection is excellent, unless you're their target-seller - high volume, low value unit shifters - it's not much worth it any more. Some of their decisions are odd at best, for instance, they refuse to allow you to charge postage for a DVD as a seller, yet the retail value of the format has fallen so much that most of them are no longer worth trying to sell on there. If I sell a DVD for a pound (bearing in mind most of them can be had for £3 new now), it'll probably end up costing me money.

Colin G

One Too Many
Don't do it unless you have done biz with the seller before.

I moderate a vintage BMX forum and so many guys get ripped off by sending cash friends and family.

Don't do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto