Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experimenting on foods.

Try this:

A slice of bread with sugar-beet-syrup and sugar/cinnamon-mix (50/50) on top.

Much better to me, than with nut-nougatcream!

Hercule

Practically Family
When I was a kid my mom would occasionally make a sugar sandwich for me - bread, butter and sugar. Of course cinnamon-sugared buttered toast was always popular for breakfast. Must have been a depression era thing.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
When I was a kid my mom would occasionally make a sugar sandwich for me - bread, butter and sugar. Of course cinnamon-sugared buttered toast was always popular for breakfast. Must have been a depression era thing.
I remember those sugar sandwiches, too! And one of my fondest memories is having a breakfast before school of homemade bread with melted butter and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

Hercule

Practically Family
Yep, sugar sandwiches, not so often that I can remember, but my school lunch regularly featured a mustard sandwich.

Cinnamon toast (on toasted raisin bread for an extra treat!) was usually for breakfast or a late evening/before bed snack.

Getting back to the op's topic - what exactly is sugar-beat syrup? How do you characterize the taste? What would it be like?

Here we are:

"An unrefined sugary syrup can be produced directly from sugar beet. This thick, dark syrup is produced by cooking shredded sugar beet for several hours, then pressing the resulting mash and concentrating the juice produced until it has the consistency similar to that of honey. No other ingredients are used. In Germany, particularly the Rhineland area, this sugar beet syrup (called Zuckerrüben-Sirup or Zapp in German) is used as a spread for sandwiches, as well as for sweetening sauces, cakes and desserts."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_beet#Other_uses

Mostly, Germans like this old-fashion breakfast-spread on white-flour-rolls. But myself, I prefer corn-bread with it, because, I don't like white-flour-rolls.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=zuckerrübensirup&FORM=HDRSC2

But, I can not imagine, that these old-fashion-product isn't available in the United States.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Indeed, it should be available in the U.S. considering we raise sugar beets in the Midwest! In fact, the Germans from Russia settled in eastern Colorado and western Nebraska for just that purpose: to raise sugar beets. My family raised them back in the 80s and I have fond memories of riding with my grandparents in the truck as we hauled them to the dumping station. Our family doesn't raise them anymore, but it's still a thriving crop in the area.

Here's a video of a sugar beet harvest, processing, etc., from Sesame Street.

A friend who's family is from the Netherlands told me about his Mom making him bread and butter with chocolate sprinkles (jimmies?) for lunch. How great does that sound?!

A friend who's family is from the Netherlands told me about his Mom making him bread and butter with chocolate sprinkles (jimmies?) for lunch. How great does that sound?!

My first reaction was no, but upon reflection (yes, my small brain will reflect on the important issues of the day like this), I think this might work.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Here in Canada it would be a slice of bread or toast, with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Make mine toasted whole wheat bread with brown sugar and cinnamon (Cinnamon toast).

A very old fashioned treat, I am sure my grandparents enjoyed it 100 years ago!

Here in Canada it would be a slice of bread or toast, with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Make mine toasted whole wheat bread with brown sugar and cinnamon (Cinnamon toast).

A very old fashioned treat, I am sure my grandparents enjoyed it 100 years ago!

My girlfriend makes this for us - especially in the winter - but she throws it under the broiler (after the bread is toasted) so that the sugar cinnamon gets toasted too. She say this is how her grandmother did it when she was a little kid.

Haversack

One Too Many
Trenchfriend schreibt: "In former GDR, the generation of my mother knows Maccaroni with Sugar/Cinnamon"

That is an incredibly old dish. From the 1390 cookery book, Forme of Curye.

Loseyns
(or Lozenges)

Take gode broth & do in an erþenpot, take flor of payndmayn & make þer of past wit water & make þer of thynne foyles as paper wiþ a roller, drye hyt hard & seeþ hyt in broth, take chese ruaynd grated & lay it in disther wiþ poudor douce & lay þer on loseyns ysode as hole as þou myȝt, & aboue poudor & chese and so twycs or þrycs & serue hit forth."

Powder Douce was a common spice blend in Medieval Europe. It is usually compounded of sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and grains of paradise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB