Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experimenting on foods.

Today morning, I got the idea to heat up normal vintage styled lentil-soup and mix 4 tablespoons of rolled oates in!

In some minutes it's ready and I'm tense about this heavy saturating mash.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone ever make their own soup? We almost always make our own, it was born out of the dislike of heavily salted ready made soups. It didn't take that much to learn, and once you are accomplished, experimenting produces some interesting surprises. For example, if you make a cream of mushroom, cream of tomato etcetera, you have to add cream, or maybe crème fraiche for a few calories less. So, making a vegetable soup with a medley of fresh vegetables that were leftovers, I noticed that we still had a pot of guacamole, so I used that instead of cream. Served up the soup with a crack of pepper and some crusty bread, and do you know what? It was disgusting, No, seriously it tasted delicious, I was really surprised.

I already made my own soups, but mostly I take the storebrand-canned soups from supermarket, because, since 2012 the most canned soups got no additional "(natrium)glutamat"! And they are not more that heavy salted, like the earlier ones.

About the taste, I can say, that todays canned soups here in Germany aren't comparable to the earlier ones, 10 years ago. Todays canned pea-soups, potato-soups and lentil-soups and so on, compared to the homemade ones from mostly country-families, there is no considerable difference.

Hercule

Practically Family
We make soup at home all the time, but sadly, it isn't very often that we put hours and hours of work into it like grandma used to - roasting and boiling off bones for stock (though I quite often make my own chicken stock to freeze). Our soups are usually relatively fast and easy, an I've found that it makes for a better soup to make it ahead, allow it to cool then reheat it. Made a butternut squash soup just last week that was incredible.

Chicken based soups, vegetable soups, lentil soups, chowders, chilies etc, you name it, they're always better when home made and shared. The fact that they tend to be a vehicle for great bread with lots of butter only makes the experience better!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I do all the cooking at home & I rarely use industrial stuff.. Apart from the health risks, everything just seems to taste the same out of a tin or carton.
I used to experiment quite a bit when I was younger but it didn't always go to plan. My most memorable recipe failure (don't try this at home kids !) was grilled turkey breasts, covered in succulent slices of gently fried red & green sweet chilly peppers then napped in a roquefort (blue cheese) & white chocalate sauce. It didn't go down too well with the familly & if I remember correctly, even the dog we had back then turned his nose up at it. :D

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I love home made soup and make it all the time. A crock pot (or pressure cooker if you are in a hurry) makes things easier.

Cocker

Practically Family
A friend who's family is from the Netherlands told me about his Mom making him bread and butter with chocolate sprinkles (jimmies?) for lunch. How great does that sound?!

We sometimes do the same here in Belgium. You can also do it with banana slices. Fresh bread, a lot of butter, and you cover everything with them slices. That's pretty good!

A couple other for the breakfast:

- First, take a cup of hot, black coffee, with a lot of sugar in it. Then break an egg in a bowl, start mixing it it with an electric mixer. Then slowly pour the coffee while still mixing it. The result will be your coffee/egg mixture with a whole lot of sweet foam over it. We call this a bowl of "mousse" (french for foam).

- The next one is called "béton", the french word for concrete. Start with two pairs of fresh brown bread slices. Put butter on top of one of these, and put the other slices over everything. Cut small dices. Drop everything in a bowl, then add a full fresh egg, salt and lots of pepper. Mix everything together with a fork until the egg is absorbed by the brad. And VOILA!

Both these recipes are coming from my grandparents on my dad's side. As a kid, I enjoyed staying there, and have lots of memories of my grandmother doing some "béton" for my grandfather's breakfast, or bowl of "mousse" for my uncles.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
For some reason I can't explain I have spent hours and hours watching this series of Youtube videos on cooking in the 18th century. They are strangely habit forming. The presenter is a historical reinactor from the northern US but this particular recipe is for 18th century French toast.

Today, I improvised the old "Puls"-mush of the Roman Empire, with rolled-oats. Ok, I'm eating oatmush every day (morning), but never tried salted cereal-mush.

-1 part oat
-2 part water
-half (!) teaspoon salt
Boil it up, with stirring, stop heating and stir it, until water is "soaked in".

I'll bet we could support an entire thread of soup-makers, and I'd be a regular contributor. Known as the Soup Nazi around our family and circles of friends, been turning out cauldrons of deliciousness for years. Always learning new techniques, too, like the vegan "cream sauce," made of pureed cauliflower, lemon juice, and a teeny, tiny touch of seasalt... use it in all kinds of soups and sauces!

DANG!! Starting to salivate here on the keyboard...

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Today, I improvised the old "Puls"-mush of the Roman Empire, with rolled-oats. Ok, I'm eating oatmush every day (morning), but never tried salted cereal-mush.

-1 part oat
-2 part water
-half (!) teaspoon salt
Boil it up, with stirring, stop heating and stir it, until water is "soaked in".

I think you've just invented porridge. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points