Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experimenting on foods.

Nice idea from my brain, some minutes ago!:

Make yourself slices of bread with Nutella-stuff and sprinkle a little simple coffee-powder over it! Works. :)

green papaya

One Too Many
ever tried sprinkling a handful of "RICE KRISPIES" over your ice cream or yogurt? it adds a nice crunchy texture, kind of like a ice cream cone in a bowl.

Rice-Krispies-Box-Small.jpg rice krispies.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Today, I improvised the old "Puls"-mush of the Roman Empire, with rolled-oats. Ok, I'm eating oatmush every day (morning), but never tried salted cereal-mush.

-1 part oat
-2 part water
-half (!) teaspoon salt
Boil it up, with stirring, stop heating and stir it, until water is "soaked in".

This old post reminded me of Roman Meal hot cereal. We had it occasionally when I was a boy 50 years ago but have not seen it recently.

It seems it is still being made by the same firm that began making it in 1912. A mixture of whole wheat, rye, bran and flax seed. It began as a health food and strength builder.

http://www.romanmeal.com/ourstory.aspx

ever tried sprinkling a handful of "RICE KRISPIES" over your ice cream or yogurt? it adds a nice crunchy texture, kind of like a ice cream cone in a bowl.

View attachment 82374 View attachment 82375

I sprinkle French Toast Crunch on yogurt all the time (a much underrated cereal) - I like both the added crunch and added sweetness. I'm liking the ice cream idea, will now have to try that.

9b677196-30fa-47f6-989f-80c564da94d0_1.dbb6885ac62c4c883829ce8be8da5c2e.jpeg

Yeah, but if you want absolute nirvana go for the sea scallops wrapped in bacon.
One could start an entire new thread......"Wrapped in Bacon" The Japanese restaurant I frequent has both scallop wrapped in bacon as well as green beans and also asparagus.....one of the reasons I frequent the joint!

One could start an entire new thread......"Wrapped in Bacon" The Japanese restaurant I frequent has both scallop wrapped in bacon as well as green beans and also asparagus.....one of the reasons I frequent the joint!

Asparagus wrapped in bacon. There's an existentialism to this pairing. One of the worst tasting things ever (brussels sprouts would have been the worst) wrapped inside one of the best tasting things ever. Or maybe it's really the oldest battle of them all: Good versus Evil / God versus the Devil / Darkness versus Light. Possibly, all the questions of the universe can be boiled down to asparagus wrapped in bacon.

Asparagus wrapped in bacon. There's an existentialism to this pairing. One of the worst tasting things ever (brussels sprouts would have been the worst) wrapped inside one of the best tasting things ever. Or maybe it's really the oldest battle of them all: Good versus Evil / God versus the Devil / Darkness versus Light. Possibly, all the questions of the universe can be boiled down to asparagus wrapped in bacon.
Another restaurant we frequent offers brussel sprouts pan fried with bacon. Have not tried it (hate the sprouts!) but they told me it is their most popular appy bar none.

Haversack

One Too Many
Dates stuffed with an almond, wrapped in jamon, (Spanish dry ham - like prosciutto), and fried are a fairly common tapa at traditional Spanish restaurants. They can also be served cold without frying. Its the combination of sweet and salty, and chewy and crunchy that makes them so addictive.

Damn, I had to try such apple-Burritos!!

Very nice for the first try, but the next time, I have to choose dryer apples! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMGP7118.JPG
    IMGP7118.JPG
    359.5 KB · Views: 685
I rather like peanut butter on apples, but never thought of putting them in a tortilla. I might have to try that, but I think I'll pass on adding honey to the mix; too sweet for me.

I rather like peanut butter on apples, but never thought of putting them in a tortilla. I might have to try that, but I think I'll pass on adding honey to the mix; too sweet for me.

You're right, next time I will leave off the honey, too. It's not really necessary for this Burrito-yummyness.

Hercule

Practically Family

One of the staple hors d'oeurves my son's new high school serves at events (open houses, new family gatherings etc) is bacon (maple and sugary) wrapped water chestnuts. While I find them a bit odd they are indeed tasty. Those and the sirloin sliders seem to be their signature finger foods.

Hercule

Practically Family
two Belgian Waffles with ice cream inside, with whipped cream & strawberries on top

Polish sausage wrapped in a pan cake with some maple syrup for dipping
My inlaws (German) would always serve waffles with chicken gravy. I grew up with such gravies on toast, usually for breakfast, so it wasn't very much of a stretch. For me its either sweet or savory not a combination of the two. Bob Evans restaurants serve waffles and chicken but that has syrup on it which just makes it weird in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner