Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experimenting on foods.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Today, the same bread dough became pizza.

yeast_and_water_74e382782dbaf1bcd17907fb86ce9765d8e4d741.jpg
foamy_yeast_7dc169fddb6b1d9bb3d2c4f76853cb4778f8c8bf.jpg
add_flour_7c7c7609a0bbde1873a0af4ee8457f530e357aa7.jpg
dough_ball_8acb7078f2cecd704f2f0134c7d72a0ea32f47c6.jpg
risen_dough_a7e6a91d7d2b2a6b24f1ed42de7d86e2458c987f.jpg
shape_dough_to_pan_bd9541926d164e09e3777ca014561f3ea5baaa22.jpg
add_tomato_garlic_green_onion_3ca453fb1e8dddba0cef0a12a53c1d2981ebf093.jpg
add_cheese_90964eb505eac0aba322c558855978c4039abe2c.jpg

I have arthritic knees that in the last 2 years have worsened to the point I feared for my mobility if they continued to deteriorate. In early January I went on the South Beach Diet to drop my covid weight, (15lbs). The weight loss has been a smash success but a huge unintended benefit is having removed the high glycemic carbs/sugars from my diet has restored much of the mobility to my knees. 3 weeks ago the pain, inflammation, congestion was debilitating. I could not walk down the stairs at home with using the bannister for support. Just walking on flat ground caused pain. Now 3 weeks of the strict regimen of South Beach my knees, while will always have some pain, are pretty much as they were a decade ago.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^^^ That is great news!
What is the main gist of the South Beach Diet? What was your weight loss strategy? My wife and I are trying to be “mostly” :) vegetarian and trying to walk or swim everyday. The weight is coming off, but it is painfully slow. Should cut out cocktail hour too, but am not interested in becoming an ascetic monk.
Lord, save me from sin, but not yet. ;)

^^^^ That is great news!
What is the main gist of the South Beach Diet? What was your weight loss strategy? My wife and I are trying to be “mostly” :) vegetarian and trying to walk or swim everyday. The weight is coming off, but it is painfully slow. Should cut out cocktail hour too, but am not interested in becoming an ascetic monk.
Lord, save me from sin, but not yet. ;)
The South Beach Diet has been around for 20 years or so. The core of it is to be aware of the foods that are considered high glycemic....or they convert in the body to sugar almost immediately as it takes the body so little time to digest. So he offers the plan in phases. Phases 1 is hardcore for 2 weeks though I extended it to 3. No sugars, fruits, grains, dairy, alcohol, potatoes, rice, pasta or veggie with high sugar content, carrots, corn, yams. You can lose up to 5lbs per week and that was bang on for me. Then in Phase 2 I get to slowly add in some foods....grains, some berry fruits, a little dairy. Then once your weight goals are met you can move on to Phase 3 which is back to full selection except for fruit juices, potato, sugars, with the others in moderation. And being aware of how your body treats high glycemic foods.....straight to sugar, straight to fat. .....especially the killer abdominal fat. I lost much of the 15 lbs from around my middle.....went down two belt notches. My wife did a modified version and lost 8 lbs but then she is much smaller than me with much less to lose.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The South Beach Diet has been around for 20 years or so. The core of it is to be aware of the foods that are considered high glycemic....or they convert in the body to sugar almost immediately as it takes the body so little time to digest. So he offers the plan in phases. Phases 1 is hardcore for 2 weeks though I extended it to 3. No sugars, fruits, grains, dairy, alcohol, potatoes, rice, pasta or veggie with high sugar content, carrots, corn, yams. You can lose up to 5lbs per week and that was bang on for me. Then in Phase 2 I get to slowly add in some foods....grains, some berry fruits, a little dairy. Then once your weight goals are met you can move on to Phase 3 which is back to full selection except for fruit juices, potato, sugars, with the others in moderation. And being aware of how your body treats high glycemic foods.....straight to sugar, straight to fat. .....especially the killer abdominal fat. I lost much of the 15 lbs from around my middle.....went down two belt notches. My wife did a modified version and lost 8 lbs but then she is much smaller than me with much less to lose.

I admire your willpower. Eliminating potato products is a tough one for me. Although I’m making great progress regarding banning French fries from my diet. (I was appalled to recently read that teenagers are getting as much as 1/3 of their calories from French fries.)

Hercule

Practically Family
Potatoes are o
I admire your willpower. Eliminating potato products is a tough one for me. Although I’m making great progress regarding banning French fries from my diet. (I was appalled to recently read that teenagers are getting as much as 1/3 of their calories from French fries.)

Potatoes are interesting, as I understand it, their carb value varies with the manner in which they are cooked and by the temperature at which they are consumed, and that repeated cooking-cooling cycles diminishes their impact as carbs. I suspect such may also be true of many other things we consume.

Potatoes are o

Potatoes are interesting, as I understand it, their carb value varies with the manner in which they are cooked and by the temperature at which they are consumed, and that repeated cooking-cooling cycles diminishes their impact as carbs. I suspect such may also be true of many other things we consume.
I was shocked to read that one of THE worst is baked potatoes. Something in the prolongued time at high temps breaks down the starches so the body digests it so quickly it goes straight to sugars. In the book the doctor suggests if you are in the mall and choose a baked potato as a healthy lunch you would actually be better off buying an ice cream cone or milkshake as the healthier choice. And me being of Irish heritage thought potato a healthy food!

An aspect I like about the South Beach regimen is a hard core Phase 1 to kick the cravings and drop significant weight, then a more liberal Phase 2 until desired weight loss is achieved and then on to Phase 3 where most things are allowed back in except for the most egregious offending foods. Tomorrow is my weigh in day at the end of week 3 so we shall see where I am at. My wife has dropped 10 lbs so far doing her modified version of the plan.
I don't think there is anything I will ever be allowed to eat again at McD's, except their black coffee. Although perhaps the occasional Big Mac won't kill me,.....I hope!

I was shocked to read that one of THE worst is baked potatoes. Something in the prolongued time at high temps breaks down the starches so the body digests it so quickly it goes straight to sugars. In the book the doctor suggests if you are in the mall and choose a baked potato as a healthy lunch you would actually be better off buying an ice cream cone or milkshake as the healthier choice. And me being of Irish heritage thought potato a healthy food!
I'm 1/4 Irish (or so I'm told) and even I know potatoes were historically used as "filler" to keep people alive through difficult times when food was scarce. That said, I'm probably the worst Irishman on the planet because as I've grown older my desire for potatoes has diminished greatly, and now "mashed" or sliced and fried (as a side order with breakfast, for example) is pretty much the only way I'll eat 'em. If I never ate another french fry for the rest of my life, I'd be fine with that. :D

I'm 1/4 Irish (or so I'm told) and even I know potatoes were historically used as "filler" to keep people alive through difficult times when food was scarce. That said, I'm probably the worst Irishman on the planet because as I've grown older my desire for potatoes has diminished greatly, and now "mashed" or sliced and fried (as a side order with breakfast, for example) is pretty much the only way I'll eat 'em. If I never ate another french fry for the rest of my life, I'd be fine with that. :D
For me it is the hash browns with bacon and eggs for breakfast. It is just not complete without the hashbrowns......however I will have to get used to cutting the portion in half.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Where she is from, they don't celebrate with corned beef and cabbage.

I made it the traditional American way, if there is such a thing. With carrot, celery, onion, and potato.

There was so much meat, I also made it the Chinese-American way, if there is such a thing. With chow fun and avocado. So it was corned beef chow fun. As opposed to beef chow fun.

cornbeef chowfun w avocado.jpg
cornbeef cabbage carrot potato.jpg
sliced cornbeef.jpg
corned beef soup stock.jpg

First time, trying storebrand chicken nuggets from EDEKA market, right now. Including a sweet-sour and a Curry sauce.

I only had chicken nuggets once in the 90s at McDonalds and it was always a non-tasty remembrance. ;)

Fifty150

One Too Many
"Let me show you my screen. It says right here, your account says, 'first joined May 2019. There's no record of this purchase in 2016.'"

Obviously, their records are incomplete, and/or wrong. I've been shopping at this autoparts store since I was a kid. Once upon a time, it was an independent store. I went out with the owner's granddaughter a few times. Then it was sold to a larger chain. Then through mergers and acquisitions, a large corporation bought that chain, combined it with a few more brands, sold the entire multi-brand portfolio, and it was subsequently spun off into a separate corporate entity.

I say, "Let me show you my maintenance log, it's online on my phone. I shows that this store was the distributor for that part and it has the invoice number from 2016. And my records also indicate core deposit and limited lifetime warranty. This part has your branding embossed on it. I could not have bought this from any other source." I lift my my shirttail to reach for the phone pouch on my belt. Her eyes grew wide, as her head turned towards the direction of my pants. If she wasn't wearing a Covid mask, I would have seen her jaw drop. I guess she was staring at my MoraKniv. Holstered on my left side next to my phone. Not my crotch. Good thing I didn't lift the shirt tail on my right side, where my sidearm was holstered.

I tell her, "Oh, that's my ceremonial Kirpan. It's for religious purposes. In case I get attacked by a tiger."

Somehow, the autoparts clerk ended up coming to dinner tonight.

I like my meat rare. Sometimes raw. In some cultures, meat is cooked well done. In some cases, for hours on end. In other cultures, they don't eat beef. Apparently, under the baseball cap and Covid mask, the autoparts counter girl was some sort of South Asian. I didn't know what type. I didn't know if it was polite to ask. Some people may say that it's rude, or insensitive, to inquire.

"You made roast beef? What if I don't eat beef?"

I will never be confirmed as a Supreme Court Justice. So I wasn't at risk of ruining all of my political ambitions. "I give up. You were wearing an autoparts uniform. Not a Sari. Not a Hijab. I didn't see a dot on your head. And you accepted an invitation to come to a boy's house for the evening. You showed up without 20 male relatives to defend your honor. Should I call for a bucket of chicken?"

I tried to play it safe. I tried to cook the meat to about pink. Way more cooked than I like. But hopefully, edible by her religious and cultural standards. Maybe she'll just eat the salad. More meat for me.

avocado tomato onion coriander.jpg
avocado tomato onion coriander.jpg

roast beef.jpg

tri tip salad.jpg

I don't know how religious she is. She made herself an Irish whiskey on the rocks. I guess that means she's Catholic. She's dressed in some kind of tight, revealing, Kardashian outfit. Yes. Girls really do buy those clothes to look like a Kardashian.

1647919313974.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ