Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Explain the 3-Sphere to me.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The COVID-19 is just a flea bite compared to what's coming. :D
doomsayer.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Canadian joke:

The world will end at eight o'clock; eight thirty in Newfoundland.

All horse hockey of course. I hope to wake up tomorrow, give more legal advice, raise my girls, and pick another ton of rocks off the fields.

The rest is stuff and nonsense, gammon and spinach.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The rest is stuff and nonsense, gammon and spinach.

If someone had said 4 months ago that a virus would sweep through the wealthy countries & result in half the world locking down & a large number of it's inhabitants put under house arrest, they would have been considered a fool.
A virus, an asteroid, climate change or Yellowstone popping it's cork, it's all nonsense until it happens. ;)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
If someone had said 4 months ago that a virus would sweep through the wealthy countries & result in half the world locking down & a large number of it's inhabitants put under house arrest, they would have been considered a fool.
A virus, an asteroid, climate change or Yellowstone popping it's cork, it's all nonsense until it happens. ;)

Yes, pandemics that sweep across the globe (as they have done for as long as there have been humans) are exactly like esoteric theories such as life being an alien computer program or the 3-sphere.

Pish.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What was that movie tag line? “In space no one can hear you scream” or something like that? First we had stories of asteroids zipping by at uncomfortably close distances every few months. Now, here is a clickbate headline from Fox News. I have to admit that it made me laugh (an evil mad scientist laugh, according to my creeped out wife.)

https://www.foxnews.com/science/martian-rock-samples-viruses-earth

Benny Holiday

All these years later, that poster still makes me think of Mad Magazine's parody with a picture of an onion instead of the alien egg with the caption "Onion: In space, no one can hear you cry." And I still smile!

Ain't no life on Mars, NASA. Never was. Get over it.

Tiki Tom

NASA team in antarctica finds evidence to support parallel universe theory.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/nasa-...lel-universe-where-time-runs-backward-report/

Seems like they are extapollating big conclusions from the interception of one particle that was headed in the wrong direction. Of course, I'm no physicist.

That said, I'm fairly comfortable with the concept of parallel universes. The idea is no more mind-bending than what came before the big bang, black holes, worm holes, "spooky action at a distance" or quantum physics in general.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Why is it that, if the Chinese are denying it, I somehow wonder if it isn’t true?

A. Calculus was discovered by Newton in England, Galileo was Italian, Copernicus, Kepler, Leibnitz....
Inductive thought is not conducive to rational analysis, and I know of no comparable mathematician or
astronomer orgin the Middle Kingdom; Mandarins destroyed nascent steel manufacture 10th Century;
Chinese navigation rudimentary at best. What formula, theorem, or blind bet hunch ever surfaced China?
What advance China has secured stolen from the West. Independent thought is anathema communism.

B. Any time oriented physics program in China is stolen.

C. China denies everything.

D. Hong Kong was always an irritant to Beijing.

E. Gone With The Wind in Hong Kong had Chinese subtitles, ok; but Rhet carrying Scarlet up the stairs,
censored. My favorite part cut, deliberately so. That's pretty drastic. Some home-grown time machine?
After cinema castrato chop suey?

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wouldn't a universe that ran backward in time still be moving forward in time from its own perspective, and OUR universe would be the one running backward in time from their perspective? Are universes just another variation on the whole drains-in-Australia thing?

And therefore, is the real answer to the question of time travel just a matter of "reversing the polarity?" Because if it is, the Third Doctor had that figured out fifty years ago.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Wouldn't a universe that ran backward in time still be moving forward in time from its own perspective, and OUR universe would be the one running backward in time from their perspective? Are universes just another variation on the whole drains-in-Australia thing?

And therefore, is the real answer to the question of time travel just a matter of "reversing the polarity?" Because if it is, the Third Doctor had that figured out fifty years ago.

Chronological history is as law set against precedent, perspective alters not the divine course.

The earth axial tilt at 23.5* considered with a lowered pitcher's mound, increased velocity thrown
nearing exceptional Chapman strike zone nail at 104mph, and latitudinal velocity decrease variant
equatorial meridian factored with a juiced ball and inpatient batter box increase versus pitcher variant
delay and glory doggin by guys like Baez with the golf swing arc factor delay accounts for the Cubs
losing some seventh inning rounds that spelled inevitable defeat.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Some girls want to go to Disneyland; Some girls want to go to Las Vegas. I always want Las Vegas.

The girls whom I thought would want Disneyland, wanted Las Vegas.
And the girls whom I thought would want Las Vegas, wanted Disneyland.
I always want Las Vegas.

Once upon a time, when I was younger, I mistakenly thought I could understand women.

Tiki Tom

Good article. Easy to understand.

"The core idea is deceptively simple: every observable phenomenon in the entire universe can be modeled by a neural network. And that means, by extension, the universe itself may be a neural network…. If Vanchurin’s work pans out in peer review, or at least leads to a greater scientific fixation on the idea of the universe as a fully-functioning neural network, then we’ll have a found a thread to pull on that could put us on the path to a successful theory of everything. If we’re all nodes in a neural network, what’s the network’s purpose? Is the universe one giant, closed network or is it a single layer in a grander network?"

https://thenextweb.com/neural/2021/...ole-universe-could-be-a-giant-neural-network/

Instinctively (and with nothing to really judge it by), I find this theory very appealing.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Good article. Easy to understand.

"The core idea is deceptively simple: every observable phenomenon in the entire universe can be modeled by a neural network. And that means, by extension, the universe itself may be a neural network…. If Vanchurin’s work pans out in peer review, or at least leads to a greater scientific fixation on the idea of the universe as a fully-functioning neural network, then we’ll have a found a thread to pull on that could put us on the path to a successful theory of everything. If we’re all nodes in a neural network, what’s the network’s purpose? Is the universe one giant, closed network or is it a single layer in a grander network?"

https://thenextweb.com/neural/2021/...ole-universe-could-be-a-giant-neural-network/

Instinctively (and with nothing to really judge it by), I find this theory very appealing.

True story: I know a physician-physicist, a widow recently retired to Hyde Park, book clubs, opera, theatre,
and fine dining, whom informed me early in our friendship that "Burt Lancaster is my guy." She patted her heart,
this stemmed from a conversation about the film Elmer Gantry and my admiration for Shirley Jones.
Shortly thereafter a mutual friend informed me that Ruth's late husband; also a physicist, narrowly missed
being awarded the Nobel Prize by a hair's breath. The winner of the award that year sent a telegram to Ruth,
expressing the view that the honor belonged to him. Of the above, I will ask Ruth her opinion, but I find
it interesting that a physicist never or seldom talks theoretical shop unless prompted. Usually she badgers
about legal and trial controversies. And she never agrees with me....;)

Tiki Tom

Cosmic web.jpg
"The core idea is deceptively simple: every observable phenomenon in the entire universe can be modeled by a neural network. And that means, by extension, the universe itself may be a neural network…. If we’re all nodes in a neural network, what’s the network’s purpose? Is the universe one giant, closed network or is it a single layer in a grander network?"​

“In a major breakthrough, scientists have captured the first direct images of the ghostly cosmic web, a network of filaments that scaffolds the entire universe, lurking in the dark and largely vacant medium between galaxies.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4ad...age-of-the-cosmic-web-connecting-the-universe

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner