Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Extra Extra, see the orginal King Kong

Mycroft

One Too Many
King Kong (1933)

Tuesday 11/22/2005 09:00 PM
Tuesday 11/22/2005 09:00 PM
Tuesday 12/13/2005 08:00 PM

I'm King Kong: The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper (2005)
Tuesday 11/22/2005 8:00 pm ET & 11:00 pm ET

**Both on Turner Classic Movies**

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
And it's worth mentioning that, in the usual TCM/new DVD synergy, the print that they're showing is the new restored/cleaned-up version coming out on DVD next month. I know I'LL be taping it!

Capt. Englehorn (translating Skull Island chief): "He says he wants to trade for the golden woman."

Carl Denham (cocking an eye at Ann Darrow): "Yeah, blondes are scarce in these parts."

Mycroft

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
And it's worth mentioning that, in the usual TCM/new DVD synergy, the print that they're showing is the new restored/cleaned-up version coming out on DVD next month. I know I'LL be taping it!

Capt. Englehorn (translating Skull Island chief): "He says he wants to trade for the golden woman."

Carl Denham (cocking an eye at Ann Darrow): "Yeah, blondes are scarce in these parts."

I am taping it as well, but I am not sure I will keep it. But, I watching because I hate watching redos before the orginal(amoung other things:p). Great to know that it is cleaned up.

Hondo

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:

Hey doc! Thanks for the DVD heads up and "quotes", once this new Kong film comes out on DVD, I'll add both to my collection, the Original King Kong I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve seen a few time on Big Silver screen, awesome ;)
Lets not for get Dino De Laurentiis 1976 version with Jessica Lange, a break out film for her:cool:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, I really hated the 1976 Kong remake, both when it was new, and today. Stoopid. Lousy effects. Lame performances, even from pros like Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange. (Though you're right, she made a vivid impression as "Dwan" and it quickly led to more significant roles.)

Honestly, the 1933 film is perfect. If anyone other than Peter Jackson were remaking it, I'd be utterly furious. But after LOTR, I have faith in Jackson's ability to honor the original, yet blow our minds in unexpected ways... I still think the film is totally *unnecessary*, but it will surely be a fun ride.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Sorry, I really hated the 1976 Kong remake, both when it was new, and today. Stoopid. Lousy effects. Lame performances, even from pros like Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange. (Though you're right, she made a vivid impression as "Dwan" and it quickly led to more significant roles.)

Honestly, the 1933 film is perfect. If anyone other than Peter Jackson were remaking it, I'd be utterly furious. But after LOTR, I have faith in Jackson's ability to honor the original, yet blow our minds in unexpected ways... I still think the film is totally *unnecessary*, but it will surely be a fun ride.

What don't you like about Jackson's pre-Lord of the Rings?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Not sure what you mean, Mycroft.

I just meant that Jackson's ability to make such a great (as in mostly accurate and surprisingly inclusive of the subtle deeper story aspects) film adaptation of LOTR (a huge, insanely complex book with a highly critical, fanatical following) bodes well for his treating Kong with respect, yet showing us something new. As far as Jackson's films before LOTR, I haven't seen all that many, but I thought "Heavenly Creatures" was a disturbing masterpiece.

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
Sorry, I really hated the 1976 Kong remake, both when it was new, and today. Stoopid. Lousy effects. Lame performances, even from pros like Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange.
I agree. It was really a disappointment. The original is great, I've watched it countless times. I'll have to wait and see on the new one.

Hondo

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:

I know what you mean so no need for "sorry" it was the 70's, I enjoy Lange, always have ;)
Carry on :cheers1:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, I for one enjoyed the original, and can't wait to see it again. Then fresh from that, go see Peter Jacksons offering. I think P.J. will do justice to the story.

Cheers!

Dan

Wild Root

Gone Home
Fay Wray. That's all I have to say! It's all about Fay Wray!

wray.jpg

Can't beat the original '33! The new one coming is going to be fun to watch! And I feel why because it's a period piece! It's taking place in 1933! But, all those Kong flicks between, Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!

YAY for Fay Wray!

=WR=

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Nobody beats the Original Kong...

although I think the 1976 film isn't a bad film. If you can watch it as if there were no previous Kong (I know, I know, pretty hard to do..) it isn't all bad. No masterpiece but, the first half before they get to Skull Island has some nice tension aided by a fine score from John Barry (he did the music for almost every James Bond film). Rick Baker's Kong costume is one of the best looking ape suits period. Also you get to see Charles Grodin get stepped on by Kong!

Having said (or written;) ) that, the 1933 original is one of my all time favorite films period. Right up there with Citizen Kane and all the other 'heavies' of cinema. You need only look at Fay Wray in her torn and tattered dress as she screams before the mighty Kong tears her from the altar to understand just why she drove that big monkey crazy (and you thought I was gonna say 'bananas'...). Long Live The King!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80