Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyebrow Grooming

How do you maintain your brows?

• Wax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thread

• I pay a professional

• I don't groom them

• Total voters

PS

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie said:
I think you need to go by how -you- look and feel.

Rules such as these 2 shades light two shades darker....do not work on everyone..are are guidelines.

After all, nature did give you the color eyebrows you possess...and unless you are doing -wild- things with your hair color, your brows tend to suit you in the first place.

Miss Neecerie is right, its more of a guideline. When I had darker hair (dyed) I couldn't keep up with my eyebrows, the color faded so quickly. I know blondes have a hard time finding a brow filler that is light enough and sometimes yellow enough, what you have naturally is a good guide just see what you get.

clubwitsend

Practically Family
I always have mine tweezed at my salon and clean things up in between visits...I just don't trust myself to get the shape correct on my own!

I used to have them waxed, but find the tweezing to be so much more accurate!

jsands

New in Town
Hot wax VS Cold wax

I have the general area below my brows waxed to help lift those stubborn fine hairs that my tweezers miss. Otherwise, I maintain them by tweezing as needed. I haven't had any sensitivity to the wax used, but I have seen that there is a cold wax treatment available. It's supposed to be less painful since it does not grip the skin as hot wax does (and doesn't leave you with that tender, red puffiness), and I have heard that it is also beneficial for those with sensitive skin. Anyone else here familiar with a cold wax vs hot wax?

C-dot said:
I always draw over my light brows. The shape simply cannot be seen without a little help from a pencil - plus I crave that perfect tail that PS mentions.

My hair is red, but no matter what the colour I've always done gray-black. My eyeliner is strong, so my face can take it. Ginger Rogers also did the same thing, and her hair was quite light in the 30's. :)

Anyone else require pencil?

I tweeze and I use an auburn pencil. If I don't fill mine they are hardly visible. I am a natural strawberry blond.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I tend to wac mine using bikini line wax strips that I cut to size / shape. I have a terrible monobrow, its a nightmare.

crwritt

One Too Many
C-dot said:
In high school, I took a co-op position as a hairdresser/esthetician's apprentice. I learned to wax and thread professionally, so I wax my own, but I didn't keep up with the threading. I wouldn't dare try it again, lest I make a horrible mistake!

I used to tint my brows black. Once, when tint wasn't available, I used OTC hair dye to do it - The follicle damage was so bad, I was forced to draw them on, like Jean Harlow, for 2 long years. :eek:

Wow, I've always tinted my eyebrows with regular hair color. I use the Wella
and 10 volume peroxide, leave it 10 minutes, and never had a problem.
I've had hairdressers do this for me too!

crwritt

One Too Many
C-dot said:
Amy Jeanne, I think drawn on eyebrows can look super cool! It takes a really sloppy hand to mess them up.

Just draw them where they go. I've seen them drawn in an inch or so higher, very weird looking.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
crwritt said:
Wow, I've always tinted my eyebrows with regular hair color. I use the Wella
and 10 volume peroxide, leave it 10 minutes, and never had a problem.
I've had hairdressers do this for me too!

Because you use Wella! I used drugstore dye. :)

jsands said:
Anyone else here familiar with a cold wax vs hot wax?

Cold wax is a little better for sensitive skin, but don't be fooled! You can become red and irritated from any wax. Cold wax is basically like electrical tape - No temperature, but very sticky. In my experience, hot wax works much better.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I had my eyebrows threaded in November, the day after Tgiving. Lasted a very long time, over a month. I need to go again. Not as painful as I thought it would be and fascinating to watch.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I get mine threaded every once in a while at a salon. I love the clean, crisp lines threading gives me. In between sessions I pluck them myself and as I barely have eyebrows to begin which means that I'm not visiting the salon very often!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm getting mine threaded next weekend, I just found a little stall in my local market that does threading for £5!

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
I'm getting mine threaded next weekend, I just found a little stall in my local market that does threading for £5!

Have you ever been to the Sajna salons? They do threading for £3

The only problem, I find, is that many of the threaders don't appear to speak very good English but they tend to do it really well.

December

One of the Regulars
I put tweeze, although I very rarely do that. Maybe every two or three months.

They're naturally quite shapely. I wish they were a bit more defined and often think about getting them waxed in a beauty place but never get round to it. I'm afraid that they won't quite get my Grace Kelly vision and I'll end up with bog standard Cheryl Cole brows.

Lately I've been experimenting with using Benefit Bad Gal eyeliner to shade them in which does help somewhat with the definition.

Antje

One Too Many
I was a little exited while tweezing and I had a couple of hairs growing the wrong direction, and all of a sudden I just plucked them all out. :eek:

Now I have to draw a nice brow everyday :(

Lillemor

One Too Many
The left brow sits a bit higher than the right brow. I tried to cover up the natural brow shape and draw it in but it looked stupid and unnatural and I can't imagine myself walking around with part or fully covered brows with fake ones drawn on top. Too much work for every day and hub would hate it or not be able to stop laughing.

Do I grow my bangs down over my brows and have them forever caught in my glasses?

picture43y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pay no attention to my lips. It was a mistake to try to make my bottom lip appear fuler.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I trim about once a month as my eyebrow hairs seem to get obscenely long my mom has the same issue. My eyebrow hair is quite dark for a natural blonde (although has become a mix of dishwater and grey as I have gotten older). I pluck but I also get those fine little blonde hairs under the brow. I use a cold wax strip on those it works pretty well for me. I have had the hot wax done at saloons but the person I see now doesn't wax and I never have time for special appointments. Since my brows are dark compared to my hair I never filled in. Threading sounds interesting I am sure it is as painful as the first waxing was ( I sneezed right in the girls face didn't mean too but couldn't help it) but does it get less painfull after the first time?

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I've never had a professional shaping- I don't trust them to do as good as job as I can!.

I tweeze and I use the small head on my epilator to tidy any blond hairs underneath and in the middle. I have light brown brows and black hair so I dye them with regular permanent hair dye and a paintbrush once a month, when I'm touching up my roots.

I also go over them a bit everyday with Stud eyebrow pencil by MAC and blend with a dense angled brush followed by clear setting gel.

One thing I have noticed this year is that eyebrows that extend too far and slant down make peoples eyes look drawn down at the outer corners, making them look older and more grumpy - so i shortened my brows, increasing gap between my brows and my eyes at the outer corners and it has really lifted my eyes and made a huge improvement. I did have to taper the end of the brow that was left by removing a few extra hairs but that's okay.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I have them waxed about every 6 weeks (if I can afford to) when I get my legs etc waxed, and tweeze in between times. I use a very, very old Avon eyebrow pencil which is just the right light brown to fill in the gaps and give some definition but still look natural, and then I use clear mascara to set them in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner