Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F/S: Vintage patch-pocket sport jackets, larger sizes!

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
***ALL 3 SOLD PP*** Thanks! I'll have more up soon!

I have up for sale not 1, but 3, vintage patch-pocket sport jackets/coats for sale. They did not fit me, otherwise I would be keeping them all! I do lots of vintage hunting and I get a huge thrill out of saving vintage clothes. I find the hunt/'finding' very fun, and when I come across clothing that doesn't fit me, I know there is someone out there that will appreciate it! All are priced to sell.

EDIT: All 3 jackets are vent-less.

Here we have a very classic early to mid-1950's large weave tweed/houndstooth-like pattern sport coat in a medium weight wool with a rough finish, custom tailored by Hickey Freeman, Atlana. All 3 patch pockets and handsomely shaped lapels. Skeleton-lined. The jacket is in fantastic condition. I cannot find a single moth hole, tear, or stain anywhere. The inside liner is also in great shape, and shows no sweat stains or stitching stresses as is commonly found underneath the armpits where the arm liners are sewn in. EDIT: I was just looking at this jacket. One of the best parts about it are the buttons - they are a very nice black/caramel/tan blend, very beautiful. I'll try to get a picture up to show them! Just look at the pictures to see for yourself:

P1127843-vi.jpg

P1127844-vi.jpg

P1127845-vi.jpg

P1127846-vi.jpg

OKAY as promised, the button photo:

P1137900-vi.jpg

More pictures below:

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
P1127847-vi.jpg

P1127848-vi.jpg

A close up of the fabric and weave:

P1127855-vi.jpg

SIZING:

Shoulders: 19.5"
Chest: 43.5-44"
Waist: 39.5"
Bottom: 43"

Sleeve length: 23.75 + 1.5" under lining

Length from back of collar to bottom of jacket: 31.25"

Price: $25 + $10 shipping

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
That jacket is really great - and the price hard to beat. :eek:
Too large for me - but I'm sure it will find a lucky new owner.

Red Leader

One of the Regulars

This is a classic 1950's tan sport coat with a that features a vertical atomic strand pattern over a very subtle crisscrossed checkered pattern, with medium coarseness. Seeing fabric like this makes me admire the unique and creative weaves used in jackets of the time period. This jacket is both a little radical in its fabric (speaking of contemporary) but pulls it off in a very comfortable, conservative shape and color which to me is a nice balance. You can wear this jacket and be 'different' from the crowd without worry of standing out too much. Fabric is of medium weight. 3 patch pockets, no skeleton lining, and no maker's tag. Has a 1949 Union label.

Condition: This jacket has more issues than the previous coat, hence a lower price. I can find no moth holes, nor any tears or rips in the outer fabric. The lining is sweat stained and has some slight stress-pulling at the armpit seam of the left armhole, but is not compromised yet and still together. The lining actually, is very beautiful. The jacket itself is slightly dirty and soiled and would benefit immensely from a cleaning. I have taken pictures of the few spots of dirt/debris I have found on the jacket. The good news is that I don't think any of the outside issues are of a permanent nature, so a good cleaning might be all it takes to get it back in tip-top shape. Again, no moth holes or tears that I can find.

P1127832-vi.jpg

P1127834-vi.jpg

P1127836-vi.jpg

P1127838-vi.jpg

P1127839-vi.jpg

More pictures below:

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Small spot that looks to me like hardened food:

P1127840-vi.jpg

Dirt spot on side of sleeve:

P1127841-vi.jpg

Dirt spot on center back of jacket at the bottom:

P1127842-vi.jpg

Close up of fabric (camera adjusted for accurate white balance):

P1127854-vi.jpg

SIZING:

Chest: 46" !!!
Waist: 44"
Bottom: 46"

Sleeves: 24" +1" under lining

Back of collar to bottom of jacket: 30.25"

Price: $18 + $10 shipping

Red Leader

One of the Regulars

As they say, save the best for last, right?

I am a fan of the first jacket for sure, but this jacket is something special. Very beautiful 1953-dated tan 3 patch-pocket sport coat custom tailored by Mohan's in Kowloon, Hong Kong. The fabric is a heavy weight wool that that has a creamy soft yellow overtone with mottled gray throughout, soft to the touch. It features a full lining, gloss rounded-edge buttons, and is heavily padded in the shoulders. The lapels are full and appear very similar to a 1941-dated American suit I have, with a slight belly to them.

It is like someone commisioned the jacket to be made, wore it a few times, then put it away for nearly 60 years. I see no wear spots, tears, rips, undone threads, or spots of dirt, anywhere. The only evidence I have that indicated that the jacket was even used is that the lining has a few very faint spots on the upper back portion that seem to blend in to the lining color well (photo show below). The jacket does have a 'new-ish' feel to it. EDIT: upon very, very close examination and under a certain lighting condition was I able to find several moth nips on the jacket (none bigger than the size of a pin head) but none were into the meat of the fabric, just the 'fuzz' of the top surface taken off. Due to the coloration of the fabric, they were nearly indistinguishable from the pattern. I had to look at the surface of the jacket from about 3-4 inches away to find all but 1, and that one is on the bottom edge of the jacket, with light shining down the top of the jacket to highlight the shadows on the surface. Again, none are through the fabric and the pattern makes them near impossible to see. Nonetheless, I am taking $10 off the initial asking price.

I'll allow the pictures to speak for themselves:

P1127825-vi.jpg

P1127826-vi.jpg

P1127827-vi.jpg

On this shot, you can see the small blemishes on the upper middle part of the lining, the only indication that this jacket was ever used:

P1127830-vi.jpg

More pictures below:

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
P1127828-vi.jpg

Jacket dated March 31st, 1953. It will be 60 years old in 3 months:

P1127829-vi.jpg

P1137899-vi.jpg

Close up of fabric (camera adjusted for white balance accuracy):

P1127859-vi.jpg

SIZING:

Chest: 44"
Waist: 42"
Bottom: 45"

Sleeves: 25.5" + .75" under lining

Back of collar to bottom of jacket: 31.25"

Price: $20 + $10 shipping CONUS (price adjusted after review of condition)

If you guys like these offerings, I am going to be selling a LOT more stuff coming up soon...I just thought I'd put the same mannered jackets together for fun:D

Thanks for looking and contact me via PM anytime!

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Fastuni; Nick D,

Fastuni; Nick D,

Gentleman, thank you for your kind thoughts! I do a lot of hunting around. I can always keep an eye out for you if I know generally what size you are looking for, or what general items tend to keep your interest.

I also have several other items I will be posting up as well, although none of them patch pocket sport coats.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
Those are great jackets and the chest size is close enough for me, but the sleeve lengths are just a bit too short on all of them. If you find one with sleeve lengths around 26 1/2" or just a tad longer, then we will do business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace