Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric Preparation. Help!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Hi gals,
I just got a big package of fabric from fashion fabrics (thanks, Lauren, for posting about that place!) and am absolutely in love with my new stuff! But since I'm still relatively new to sewing I'm a little lost about how to prepare some fabrics prior to cutting.

I just received some green cashmere coating, two different colored gabs and some black tropical wool. I'm used to washing cotton prior to sewing, but can't imagine what a person would have to do for these fabrics. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you!

Grace

Vendor
You should clean the fabrics as you intend to clean them after it's constructed into a garment.

Wool can be hand washed in cold water, just be sure to not to let the stream of water hit the wool.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Yes, most of these fabrics would be 'dry clean only' once made up, and therefore I wouldn't recommend cleaning them at all before sewing, particularly the cashmere. A lot of wools have been heat treated or have dressings that will be removed by washing.

The main thing is, though, that if you're making up a coat or jacket, the chances are you'll be using interlining which isn't washable (sized stiffeners etc) so there's no point making your wool wash-safe.

When I make up earlier periods of costume I machine wash my wools on a cool wash before using - but that's because I deliberately don't want the glossy new finish. Wool is much more washable than people think...

Amelie

A-List Customer
simply be careful when drying wool fabric, it really tends to stretch when suspended, so unless you don't care if it's a little bit distorted, I'd suggest let it dry flat... and that might be a problem with a 6 meters roll in your house/appartment. lol

Really, just not to touch wool before cutting it might be the best thing to do if you really intend to dry wash the clothes made after ;)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pre-clean before you cut

Go back to their site. Each fabric has the care instructions in its description but the company doesn't send the care label to you with your order, obviously. Look up each fabric you purchased and the care instructions will be in the description. I pre-drycleaned my wools they sent me, and I am glad I did, each piece shrunk! :eek:
(Good luck, I have had terrible customer service from this otherwise fine company when the care instructions were incorrect and I tried to return the fabric. They say returns with no questions asked but a very nasty lady called me and started hollering at me over the telephone. the many customers here at the Lounge have more than made up for them losing me as a customer, I am sure. Never got my money back or the damaged fabric so I decided to drop the matter, I don't like being yelled at, the money is not worth it.)

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Thanks, everyone! I went back and read the care instructions (duh, I should have thought of that) and decided to have it all dry cleaned prior to sewing, except for the rayon gab, which I'll hand wash in cold.

What a pain! Cotton is so much easier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot