Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Families of the Lounge

My Grandma Brown and my Father raised me. I still vividly remember her repeated stories of family history beginning when I was a young child sitting on her lap. I never tired of her or Dad's recollections of their early childhood on into their adult lives and about Great Grandparents that I never knew.
Grandma went into a nursing home during my Senior year of high school. It greatly affected our lives and was a sad affair. After high school I was drafted into the Army. I had visited her often before I left. She had asked to go into the home because her mind was failing and she just couldn't take care of her family anymore as she lived for and was her whole world. Somehow she seemed mostly content there and those in the facility loved her, but I also saw a loneliness of missing those days gone by.
After I got through with military training, and more settled, I wrote her a letter reminiscing about her younger years. Details of how she attended a one room school house called 'Bell School', and her teacher's name 'Mrs. Bannon' along with family specifics that she had instilled in me throughout my childhood. I had hopes that the letter would cheer her up as those memories cheered me up.
Several weeks later, to my surprise, I received a letter back from my Grandma. As I sat the bunk in my Cadre room and read her letter, I was amazed at how articulate and well put together her response was with the great joy of me remembering all of those little particulars.
After I returned home, the nurses made it a point to tell me how thrilled she was with my letter to her. In fact it took all the concentration she could muster then (along with the nurses help) to answer in the way she wanted to. They told me that she worked on her letter, to get it right, for several days before sending it.
I still have her letter behind her photo in the Brown Family Album that I reread every few years. As I type this, it brings tears to my eyes (mainly of joy).
I highly value those stories and times with family of years ago. Over the years I've set down with my kids and told them the same stories and new ones. Just last week my 21 year old Son said to me during one of my old family stories, " Dad, your repeating yourself ". I just smiled inside and kinda gave Grandma Brown a wink and thought, yeah I know, hopefully one day you will too for your family..!! ;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My Grandma Brown and my Father raised me. I still vividly remember her repeated stories of family history beginning when I was a young child sitting on her lap. I never tired of her or Dad's recollections of their early childhood on into their adult lives and about Great Grandparents that I never knew.
Grandma went into a nursing home during my Senior year of high school. It greatly affected our lives and was a sad affair. After high school I was drafted into the Army. I had visited her often before I left. She had asked to go into the home because her mind was failing and she just couldn't take care of her family anymore as she lived for and was her whole world. Somehow she seemed mostly content there and those in the facility loved her, but I also saw a loneliness of missing those days gone by.
After I got through with military training, and more settled, I wrote her a letter reminiscing about her younger years. Details of how she attended a one room school house called 'Bell School', and her teacher's name 'Mrs. Bannon' along with family specifics that she had instilled in me throughout my childhood. I had hopes that the letter would cheer her up as those memories cheered me up.
Several weeks later, to my surprise, I received a letter back from my Grandma. As I sat the bunk in my Cadre room and read her letter, I was amazed at how articulate and well put together her response was with the great joy of me remembering all of those little particulars.
After I returned home, the nurses made it a point to tell me how thrilled she was with my letter to her. In fact it took all the concentration she could muster then (along with the nurses help) to answer in the way she wanted to. They told me that she worked on her letter, to get it right, for several days before sending it.
I still have her letter behind her photo in the Brown Family Album that I reread every few years. As I type this, it brings tears to my eyes (mainly of joy).
I highly value those stories and times with family of years ago. Over the years I've set down with my kids and told them the same stories and new ones. Just last week my 21 year old Son said to me during one of my old family stories, " Dad, your repeating yourself ". I just smiled inside and kinda gave Grandma Brown a wink and thought, yeah I know, hopefully one day you will too for your family..!! ;)

Thanks for sharing. Brings a tear. I also was raised by my Grandma who loved & spoiled me.
But I was never a brat. And I remember the stories she would tell me when she was a little girl on the farm.
Life was rough back then. Kids today don’t know but I try so they can appreciate things & not take them for granted.
I was overseas sitting in a bunk when I read about my Grandma who past away in ’68.
I think about her often. I only have one photo of her but the good memories are many.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Visit as often and as long as possible. The connection to parents, grandparents, and great grandparents is, to me at least, so very important.

We visit Texas about every 18 months, but when we are here, we go to see her a lot. The family reunion we are here to attend is Saturday and Sunday.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Reunion is over. Lily loved meeting all her cousins, and all of the relatives are smitten with her. My favorite photo from today is next generation cousins from four different branches hanging out together.

11713894_10204470043259348_3324440891865414811_o_zpsduuyztvg.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

In an effort to get some relief from the hot weather we've been having lately, we took the grandchildren on a hike to MT. Mitchell today. At about the 6000 foot mark is the site of the old (early 1900s) Camp Alice. We took a rest here and had a bite to eat. The weather was foggy, with a light mist in the air and about 55 degrees. Of course my little granddaughter was the first to pull off her shoes and go wading in the creek. We covered about five or six miles on today's hike. It was a great day.

Cool pic of a great day, Big Man.
I'd be curled up in a ball shivering and in the early stages of hypothermia if I was barefoot and wearing shorts in 55° temps.
But other than that it looks like a beautiful place for a visit.

Cool pic of a great day, Big Man.
I'd be curled up in a ball shivering and in the early stages of hypothermia if I was barefoot and wearing shorts in 55° temps.
But other than that it looks like a beautiful place for a visit.

Good point, and I'd add to your reasons-to-be-curled-up-in-a-ball scenario, walking barefoot through what-is-undoubtably-colder water. Oh and the worst part, I'm shivering so much that Big Man carries me back home wrapped in a blanket while his in-shorts-and-barefoot granddaughter of six and ten (or thereabouts) walks home. Another proud moment for Fading Fast.

Big Man

Great shot of what sounds like a great day Big Man. And your commentary answered my one question when I saw the picture, those girls could not be hiking barefoot.

Thanks. I believe Mackenna could make the hike barefoot without any problem. She goes without shoes all the time. It's nothing unusual to see her running down the gravel road beside the house barefoot. My Maw was that way. The only time she wore shoes was when she went to town.

Big Man

Good point, and I'd add to your reasons-to-be-curled-up-in-a-ball scenario, walking barefoot through what-is-undoubtably-colder water. Oh and the worst part, I'm shivering so much that Big Man carries me back home wrapped in a blanket while his in-shorts-and-barefoot granddaughter of six and ten (or thereabouts) walks home. Another proud moment for Fading Fast.

Well, she did have a jacket on for a while.

And just to add, if you needed to be carried out, I'd do it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Our daughter got herself 9 pounds and 1 ounce of baby brother on 7/17. She's currently ecstatic about holding, caring for, and generally anything to do with 'her' "baby Lars."

I await when she will tell us to send him back.

Congratulations, sheeplady!!!! They are both gorgeous!

Big Man

Our daughter got herself 9 pounds and 1 ounce of baby brother on 7/17. She's currently ecstatic about holding, caring for, and generally anything to do with 'her' "baby Lars."

I await when she will tell us to send him back.

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff