Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Families of the Lounge

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Babydoll, I'm so sorry to read about your loss. From your description it sounds like Bubba was one of those people that everyone needs in their lives--supportive to a fault, and no agenda other than to enjoy each others' company whenever you were together. Surely his departure was timed to save you further grief; he knew you were coming and didn't want you to have to experience his passing. Selfless rather than selfish. Good man.
An interesting perspective I'd not considered. And now the tears flow again. He was always my protector, unless he was my tormentor. Typical big brother. "You can't pick on her - she's my baby sister to pick on!!"

I'd been told that the hearing is the last of the senses to go, so maybe he heard me telling him off. His mouth quirked to the side a little bit, as though he was going to say "gotcha!".

My sisters and I sat with him for a few hours after he passed, holding his hands, outing him for his more egregious misdeeds. (We were never quite sure that he set the woods on fire beside our house when he was about 10, but we were able to piece enough of the multiple versions of the story he'd told to realize it was him, and not his friend, that was smoking my Dad's cigarettes and playing with matches.) Knowing that it was the last time we'd all be together in one place, we didn't want to leave him.

We were also able to poke at his numerous tattoos without him telling us to buzz off. (Incidentally, I swear one of the tattoos on his arm looked like a green alien cockroach that had survived a nuclear bomb. We got a chuckle out of that one - wondering why on earth he'd put that on his body. I really want to know the story about that one.)

It did not come as a shock to me that his celebration of life will be a party. We're having it on his birthday (wife's choice), and we are all being asked to wear Hawaiian print, or tie-dye as those were his favorites - the brighter and bolder the better.... just like his life.

Monte

A-List Customer
My daughter getting prepped for a portrait by our antique garden gate.

Attachments

• 20210708_150921.jpg
    20210708_150921.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 103
Last week I lost my big brother, Bubba. He was a diabetic (type 1), got Covid, was intubated and in a DKA coma for 17 days, which led to him contracting MRSA pneumonia while intubated.

He passed as I was rounding the final corner to enter his room. Typical, as he always liked to have the last word in every argument or conversation. So, I took the opportunity to tell him off for not waiting for me. The big jerk. Then I told him how much I loved him and would miss him.

He was a unique guy who lived fast and hard. He taught me to ride my bike ("just go for it - don't be a chicken sh*t!"), literally carried me home when I got swarmed by yellowjackets after I mistakenly stepped on a piled of dead leaves that contained their buried nest, built a ski jump on our driveway & took my dad's rowboat full of neighborhood kids down the driveway, across a two-lane road, through some bushes & trees, over a 12 foot drop-off, across another two-lane toad, and stopped just before a 50 foot drop into a frozen creek bed. Crazy!

He was a fried baloney sandwich connoisseur, and a mad scientist cook who came up with crazy concoctions to bring to family gatherings.

I'm still numb that he's gone. View attachment 409373

(My favorite photo of him - at about age 10. He was riding our little Honda 50 bike. He rode like a bat outta hell!)
I'm soooooo sorry. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

This might be the only time I post a photograph of my wife online without asking her permission first:

yLON0X2.jpg

This is Mary Ann at a family gathering in October of 2019. Not her best photo, but it'll do. We met in late 1979, had our first date in May, 1980, and married on August 22, 1981. And on Friday morning, June 3rd, 2022, she took her last breath. The short version of the story is that she was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease in June of 2019, roughly four months before this photo was taken. She spent the last year of her life in a hospital bed at home, while I acted as her primary Caregiver (with doctors and nurses overseeing her care, of course). And...hell, I don't know what else to say. I'm gutted.

This might be the only time I post a photograph of my wife online without asking her permission first:

yLON0X2.jpg

This is Mary Ann at a family gathering in October of 2019. Not her best photo, but it'll do. We met in late 1979, had our first date in May, 1980, and married on August 22, 1981. And on Friday morning, June 3rd, 2022, she took her last breath. The short version of the story is that she was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease in June of 2019, roughly four months before this photo was taken. She spent the last year of her life in a hospital bed at home, while I acted as her primary Caregiver (with doctors and nurses overseeing her care, of course). And...hell, I don't know what else to say. I'm gutted.
Nothing I can say to help at all, Al, but I am deeply sorry and sending you my sincerest condolences. I can't even begin to imagine. Take care of yourself, man.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

yLON0X2.jpg

My most sincere condolences.

Woodtroll

One Too Many

yLON0X2.jpg

My goodness, Al, I'm so sorry to hear that, and can't even begin to imagine the pain of your loss. If it's any consolation, that you were able to care for her at home throughout the course of the disease is a nearly-heroic act, and I am sure she understood and appreciated that. I, too, don't know what else to say but to offer my most sincere condolences.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

yLON0X2.jpg

Brother I'm So Sorry.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

yLON0X2.jpg

So very very sorry Al.
Thank you for including us in your family during these hardest of times.
Bowen

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

yLON0X2.jpg

Lovely picture and Lady. You were fortunate to have each other. Her kindness shows in her picture, and yours in your text.
Your loss saddens me.
Fuerza y entereza!
Max.

yLON0X2.jpg

So sorry to hear this news and for your unimaginable loss Al. You have our family's deepest sympathy and condolences. If you need any support -- please reach out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff