Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Family meeting celebrities?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I ran into Paul and Linda McCartney one early morning in London back in the early 80s when I was a student. I didn't have a camera, but got thier autographs. It was the last time that I ever left home without my camera. lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When my wife was a teenager in the early 60's, she was a total Paul Anka fanatic. I still have her file of pictures and clippings from teen mags of the era. Her dad took her to the Copacabana, here in New York, and not only did she get to sit in the front row, but she got to go back stage and meet him and get his autograph and picture. Woohoo!
When I was a teenager, like 14, I sold the Chautauqua Institution newspaper in the summertime. In the summer of 1961 I had the nerve to go into the dressing room during intermission when Count Basie played there. The poor man was sitting there mopping the sweat from his brow. He graciously signed several copies of the paper for me. I then got the autographs of every guys in the band on one copy, which I still have.
Stepping into the Wayback Machine, in 1917 my grandmother spent her summer teaching (for 6 weeks) at the Grenfell Mission (Google it). It took her two weeks, riding two trains and two steamships (with German submarines patrolling the Canadian waters), to get there, in the northern wilds of Labrador. This particular trip she had the good fortune to spend the whole day on the train with Alexander Graham Bell's personal secretary. Her diary of the trip says that sometimes it is more rewarding to know somebody for just a single day than to know some other people all your life.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
My grandfather got a puppy from James Arness many many years ago. The mother was a puppy that was given to Arness by John Wayne a few years prior.

Funny though ... those two big strong men had little black poodle mixes. :D I always thought my grandfather (6'1" and 350lbs) looked funny with a little furball of a dog. I can't see the Duke or Marshal Dillon with one either. Now here it is 2009 and I have a small neurotic terrier who likes to wear a pink sweater. [huh]

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
skyvue said:
My mom once danced with Bob Wills (he cut in while she was dancing with my father).

Nice! I'm a HUGE Bob Wills/Texas Playboys fan.

Let's see... my dad has met quite a few celebrities through his job, but most of them are more modern-day (1970s-2000s). He ran into Tiny Tim in a bar in south Florida. Unfortunately my dad had a bit too much to drink that evening, and insulted him. Once his buddies told him who it was, he went back and apologized!

I do have a friend - not a family member, so probably does not count - who had dinner at the Davis Mansion with Cullen & Priscilla Davis several times back in the early 70s. He's got some *great* stories! For those of you not in Texas, Cullen Davis came from a very wealthy family, and was acquitted of murder back in the mid-70s, the most expensive trial to date at the time.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
One of my aunts has met lots of celebrities. She once ran into (literally) Keanu Reeves, who's parents live next to a friend of hers in Rosedale, a nice part of Toronto. She said "Oh, I'm so sorry!" and he said "It's alright, man!"
She once saw Tony Bennett in Nathan Philips square while in a lineup. No-one said anything, so she yelled "Hey Tony!!" He turned around and yelled "HOW ARE YA?!" and hugged her lol
And, while working as a cashier, she regularly served Samuel L Jackson.

High Pockets

Practically Family
When I was a youngster I was introduced to Mrs. Rose Kennedy. We had a brief conversation and I remember her being a very nice lady.

I was flying from San Antonio to NYC when I was 12 and got to sit next to Sidney Poitier, I had no idea who he was at the time. At least until I got off the plane.

Became good friends and actually sang with the Sons of the Pioneers,...'course we use to be out till 2am closing down clubs in Branson at the time.
Still a friend of Buck Taylor's, and Bob Boze Bell.

Met Roy Rogers and the Three Stooge, at least Curly Joe, Larry Fine and Moe Howard.
Met Joie Heatherton at my best friends birthday party we were all in grade school. His uncle was the Merry Mail Man.

duggap

Banned
Thru my job I had met a few celebs over the years, but the one I most wanted to meet I didn't quite make it. But here is the story..... In my senior year in college I played on the golf team and that qualified me to be a caddy in the PGA National tournament being held in West Palm Beach. (One of golfs major tournaments). The event was won by the great Jack Nicklaus. My man missed the cut and left but before he did he gave me his player badge to let my wife use so we could watch the rest of the tournament. I pulled his name off the badge and underneath it said committee. With that we could go anywhere. We started upstairs in the club house to the lounge where all the celebs were at. There was a guard who looked at my wife's badge and let her through. He looked at my badge saying caddy and stopped me. My wife told him I was with her and we proceeded. Bob Hope was there talking with Hank Aaron and Don Drysdale. I stood elbow to elbow with the great one but didn't try to speak. I just listened. What a trip. Nobody like Bob Hope.:)

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
I met Hank Williams, Jr at the NRA National Convention in Phoenix in 1981 or 1982, I was 12-13 years old and a HUGE gun nut. I got to meet several famous gun writers there, but meeting Hank was magical for an awestruck 13 year old in a Van Halen t-shirt. He was cordial ans spoke to me for a few minutes...

My mother went to high school in Scottsdale, Arizona is the early 1960's. In her graduating class was Jim Palmer, the Baltimore Orioles pitcher. To hear her tell it, all the girls in school were in love with him..

Pete

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I have photo's of my great grandparents with a celebrities including Humphrey Bogart, Ginger Rodgers, Dorothy Lamour, and J.F.K. off the top of my head. I need to scan some of them and I'll post them.

frussell

One Too Many
Long List, have to find pix

My grandfather was a PR man and local politician in Palm Springs during its heyday, so he met just about everybody. Louis Armstrong, pretty much all the Rat Pack, Charlie Farrell, Ralph Bellamy, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Bogart, Shirley Temple, Albert Einstein, Amos and Andy, Jack Benny, Walt Disney, Ronald Reagan, John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Ben Johnson, Lucy and Desi, JFK, Phil Harris, Joseph Cotten, Charles Lindbergh, Clara Bow, the Marx Brothers, Red Skelton, William Holden, the list goes on and on. Some of the stories he told me about these stars are not fit for publication on the Lounge. I'll have to find photos to post. Some are hard to find, because as a PR man, he was nearly always taking the photos. I know I've got one of Clara Bow looking at him like he was a roasted pig with an apple in his mouth, and there's a good one of him and Ronald Reagan in cowboy gear. I've met a few folks, but my favorite so far has been the late great Richard Farnsworth, from "The Grey Fox," and "The Natural," "Comes a Horseman," and "The Straight Story." He was a down to earth, charming and interesting man. Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters