Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous Hat Wearers of the Past!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Delthayre said:
President-Coolidge-008.jpg

The top hat that President Coolidge is wearing in this picture looks curious: Only the very top of the hat appears to have the characteristic sheen of silk plush, whilst the rest looks almost as though its all covered in grosgrain.

While I don't know the ins-and-outs of Coolidge's family life....I feel fairly certain that he was in one of the later stages of mourning when this picture was taken...the wide, matte band was a recognized badge of mourning; you will see it in many of the famous pictures of President Lincoln, when he was in mourning for his son...although, again, most folks don't recognize the import anymore.

Perhaps not uninteresting sidebar on the same topic: I cannot TELL you how many times I was asked when in the full one-year primary mourning period for my mother, God rest her soul!, whether I was going out somewhere that night? People mistook my all-black and white attire for....evening dress....

"Skeet"

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Silence of doubt

I had in fact considered that it might be a mourning band, but was unsure I had only read about them without ever looking for a picture of one and did not realize that mourning bands could be so wide as that or what they were made of.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]While I don't know the ins-and-outs of Coolidge's family life....I feel fairly certain that he was in one of the later stages of mourning when this picture was taken...[/QUOTE]

His son, Calvin Coolidge, Jr. was 16 years old playing tennis at the White House in 1924. He developed a small blister on his heel. It was soon infected and he died of blood poisoning. The story is that his son's sudden unexpected death took the wind out of his sails and was one of the factors in his deciding not to run for re-election and return to a quiet life out of the limelight in New England. He was known as "Silent Cal" but he withdrew more into himself after his son's death.

Tiller

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
His son, Calvin Coolidge, Jr. was 16 years old playing tennis at the White House in 1924. He developed a small blister on his heel. It was soon infected and he died of blood poisoning. The story is that his son's sudden unexpected death took the wind out of his sails and was one of the factors in his deciding not to run for re-election and return to a quiet life out of the limelight in New England. He was known as "Silent Cal" but he withdrew more into himself after his son's death.

Yes, Cal's Silent act was more or less just that an act at first. He thought the people wanted a quite President who wasn't interested in grand schemes like Woodrow Wilson was. In fact he was known as a good public speaker, and writer for his time, its the reason he came up as a dark horse candidate for VP, that and how he handled the police strike in Boston. He actually made radio addresses regularly, and is one of the first President's (if not the first) to be recorded on film. But when his boy died it took a lot out of him emotionally. And his persona became closer to his real personality as time went by.

RatPack.jpg

And of course their is the Rat Pack ;).

Tiller

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Once I find my scanner and the book again, I've got one of Mac in a hat other than The Cap, forgive me my n00b-level ignorance but I can't tell if we're talkin' homburg or fedora. (But I'm trying to learn, even though my primary interest is WWII... and I don't think that stingy-brim worked for JFK at all.)

Hey thanks for that man, I tried finding one of him in a hat, but to no avail.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Winston Churchill:

Top hat
Churchill.jpg

Homburg
Churchill+pvctorys.jpg

Cambridge bowler
churchill_thames.jpg

Standard bowler
Churchill_at_School_in_Hove_C._1884_s.jpg

Fedora
Truman_Churchill.jpg

Peaked cap
roosevelt_churchill_1941_600.jpg

Doctoral tam/bonnet (looks more like a Tudor bonnet to me; probably before they moved away from the British design but I think he is wearing British (Canadian?) academicals whilst being hooded so it most likely a British Tudor bonnet...)
ashe_churchill.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tiller said:
He actually made radio addresses regularly, and is one of the first President's (if not the first) to be recorded on film.

Grover Cleveland was first, but just barely, as it was at McKinley's inaugural. Unless you mean the first to be seen in a talking picture?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tiller said:
prod_28076.jpg

Coolidge the Newsboy.

Newsboy, my eye. Coolidge the Marxist / Leninist agitator!

Tiller said:
calvin-coolidge.jpg

With a Cowboy Hat.

No wonder he usually avoided smiling. Yikes!

Delthayre said:
President-Coolidge-008.jpg

Only the very top of the hat appears to have the characteristic sheen of silk plush, whilst the rest looks almost as though its all covered in grosgrain.

Not grosgrain: black wool felt. At that time, men avoided wearing shiny black fabrics when in mourning. It was perceived as too decorative.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Stalin
3615.jpg

John Wilkes-Booth
Wilkes-Booth.jpg

Napoleon
napoleonstart-copy-704617.jpg

Thomas Edison
edison.jpg

Papa Smurf
papa_smurf.jpg

and everyone else, famous or not, prior to 1940
crowd-huge.jpg

Tiller

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Grover Cleveland was first, but just barely, as it was at McKinley's inaugural. Unless you mean the first to be seen in a talking picture?

Yes, not the first to be filmed, but the first to give an actually speech on film. Sorry about that lol.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
lol HA! Thought you might like that. You came to mind specifically when I visited that site.

He also has the mourning hat in my hat size as well... dare I say I will ever use it! Actually, I can easily just make a wide riband myself!

But the toppers he offers are very reasonably priced (especially the small size ones) indeed and he seem very knowledgeble. I might just do business with him in the future. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy