Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous Intersections

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
During the Golden Era there were many famous intersections of big cities and small that represented a particular theme or business in the city. Hollywood was best known for Hollywood Blvd and Vine Street was famous for being within short miles of entertainment industry landmarks including the Brown Derby, NBC Radio City, Lux Theater, Capitol Records, and the Taft Building at the very corner was known to house agents and production offices.

What are some other famous intersections from the Golden Era and what was their significance?

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
"Moitle from Thoity-thoid and Thoid"

A novelty song from 1946, according to the American Dialect Society mail list archive, immortalized... er, 'scuse me, immoitalized... that particular intersection in New York.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
In New York....

There's Broadway, 42nd street and Seventh Avenue, aka-

times57.jpg

Times Square.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In 1931 a certain recording studio opened in the London suburb of St. John's Wood, NW8. It's located just beyond the intersection of Grove End Road and Abbey Road. The intersection became famous years later because of a photo on some 33 1/3 rpm LP record jacket. It was called..... oh yeh!... Abbey Road.

AbbeyRoadzedcrossing.jpg

That intesection is now visited by millions of people from around the world just so they can be photographed there too.

-dixon cannon

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
'Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona'! It's such a fine sight to see!

http://www.standinonthecorner.com/index.htm

-dixon cannon

Winslow . . . just past the crater. "Look for the big hole in the ground and you're nearly there."

I was going to mention "Pico and Sepulveda", but RondoHatton beat me to it. :D

Lee

. . . Doesn't stand on corners when it rains. . . . For obvious reasons.

Dixon Cannon

10th & Patton....

The Oak Cliff section of Dallas, Texas - November 22nd, 1963.

Dallas Police Officer J.D. Tippet stops at the corner of 10th & Patton and casually talks with a man who was walking on the sidewalk there. Tippet gets out of his squad car to walk to the sidewalk, as the man walks to the front of the car - where he pulls a revolver and shoots Office Tippet dead in the street.

Thus began the search of the alleged murderer and assassin Lee Harvey Oswald.
-dixon cannon

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I Left My Heart

... in San Francisco.

It has been many years since I lived there, but when I recall San Francisco, I remember Market & Powell, where those " little cable cars climb halfway to the stars..."

karol

Mike in Seattle

A staple of film noir, everyone's heard of Skid Row, but where did the term come from? SEATTLE! And if you use the term up here, everyone will correct you - it's Skid ROAD.

One of the first major business after the town was founded was Yesler's sawmill. Trees were cut around the area, floated across Lake Washington, pulled to the top of the hill and then allowed to slide (skid) down the road to Yesler's mill.

On June 6, 1889, a glue pot turned over in a carpentry shop, starting a fire which over the next few hours burned virtually all of downtown Seattle north of Skid Road to the ground. Since nice, dry cedar was the building material of choice for most, virtually nothing was left standing. Nearly 60 square blocks of homes and businesses were destroyed, but fortunately, nobody was killed.

When the city rebuilt, it was with something more fire resistant and longlasting. North of Skid Road, you had brand new, taller buildings, constructed of stone and brick, and south of Skid Road, older smaller wooden buildings, which became the low rent district, with cheap bars, houses of ill repute and lots of criminal activity. So if you ventured beyond Skid Road, you were venturing into the bad part of town.

And ironically - years later, Seattle decided to modernize it's fleet of public transit cable cars. They were sold and shipped south to San Francisco. So without Seattle, you wouldn't have had "little cable cars that climb halfway to the stars..."

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
statemadison2.jpg

State and Madison St.,- the most famous intersection of 'State Street, that great street,' forms the focal point of the Chicago street grid as well as Louis Sullivan's architectural haven, the former Carson Prairie Scott department store.

Two summers ago I took a 'Route 66' road trip and started not too far from this famous intersection. From its 'lakeside' beginnings in Chicago, IL, it was 2400 mi. of flashy signs and lonely two-lane roads to the 'Pacific waters' and boardwalks of Santa Monica, CA.

From Chicago, with it's world-class skyscrapers (not to mention deep-dish pizza), my trip followed the original route as closely as possible, through the rolling countryside of Illinois and Missouri, home to Henry's Rte. 66 Emporium and Rabbit Ranch, and one hell of a milkshake at Ted Drewes Frozen Custard in St. Louis. From there, my next stop was Meramec Caverns -- if the caverns' reputation as Missouri's biggest tourist attraction doesn't reach you, the sheer number of signs surely will.

After passing the Gothic Jasper County Courthouse, it was on to the lonely, dusty plains of Oklahoma, where traffic was sparse, cows are many, and almost every town has a street (or at least a park) named for Will Rogers. Route 66 passes through El Reno, OK, where Johnnie's Grill proudly cooks up the world's largest hamburger, before traversing Texas and entering my home state, New Mexico, where you, too, can stay in "Tucumcari tonight" at the Blue Swallow Motel.

Route 66 then cuts a magnificent swath across New Mexico and Arizona, through miles and miles of scrubby desert, where skies are blue and sweeping, and colorful little trading posts line the road, peddling Navajo crafts, road snacks, and, of course, Route 66 souvenirs. The road passes through Santa Fe, where Spanish colonial architecture, Native American influence, and green chiles come together in one spicy, delicious mix, and continues on through charming Albuquerque, the stunning and scenic pueblo country of Arizona, and the one and only Petrified Forest National Park. I took it easy in Winslow, AZ before reaching Flagstaff, where I took a brief jaunt off 66 to visit the Grand Canyon.

I continued across the punishing Mojave Desert toward LA. Finally, the near-perfect roadtrip reached its near-perfect end at Santa Monica; after a day at the on the roller coasters, I dipped my toes in the ocean, kicked back on the pier, and watched the sun set over the Pacific.

546994~Pier-Sunset-Santa-Monica-CA-Posters.jpg

TailendCharlie

One of the Regulars
Michigan&Trumbull (The Corner)

The house that Ty Cobb ruled,Bennet Park, Navin field,Briggs stadium and Tiger stadium.alas she waits for her date with the wrecking ball...say it ain't so!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Kansas City

"I'll be standin' on the corner, 12th St and Vine".
This song about Kansas City was written in the Brill Building (there's a building worth a thread) on Broadway in Manhattan. I would really like to know if there actually is a 12th St and Vine in Kansas City. I suppose I could Google earth it, but that would be cheating, right?

Lucyinthesky

New in Town
During the Golden Era there were many famous intersections of big cities and small that represented a particular theme or business in the city. Hollywood was best known for Hollywood Blvd and Vine Street was famous for being within short miles of entertainment industry landmarks including the Brown Derby, NBC Radio City, Lux Theater, Capitol Records, and the Taft Building at the very corner was known to house agents and production offices.

What are some other famous intersections from the Golden Era and what was their significance?
What's interesting is Huell Howser from California's gold.....covers just about everything famous or known in California

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
statemadison2.jpg

State and Madison St.,- the most famous intersection of 'State Street, that great street,' forms the focal point of the Chicago street grid as well as Louis Sullivan's architectural haven, the former Carson Prairie Scott department store.

"State and Madison"?

"Corner 'a Broadway and Forty-Third
(Some Corner!)

Saint Clair and East Sixty-Fifth:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk