Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

alfyman

One of the Regulars
Two nice and plush B3s worn by two good looking but unknown actors. ;)

6151826093_f999d528d8.jpg

PS: Don't know where the last scenes of that movie were filmed but why did the production company select such an awfully fitting (and looking) A2 replica for Sinatra? The collar looks like Dumbo's ears? At the time the movie was filmed they could have easily sourced a number of much better fitting deadstock genuine A2s...

Thats Robert Wagner and Steve McQueen..

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
dodge123tipper.jpg

Stanley Baker wearing an electrically wired Irvin in the 1957 film Hell Drivers.

This film is well worth watching as 3 actors who were later offered James Bond are in scenes together.
Patrick McGoohan, Staney Baker and way down the casting directors first choice list Sean Connery.

3197140949_073a3817a7_o.jpg

hell20drivers20PDVD_004.jpg

Almost every character is wearing ex-service gear. RAF/RN jumpers, Army leather jerkins, Coastal Command Irvin etc.

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Doesn't it seem that Hollywood always likes the seal jackets...and that russet colors are ignored?

I think this is as a result of the photography. Sometimes, you can't tell what color is a jacket from a movie because images are post-produced. In a lot of vintage photos, A2s look dark seal and in reality there where much more variety.

majormajor

One Too Many
I've posted this before (in a different thread), so my apologies.....

Clapton in a flying jacket.......

claptonlespaul.jpg

majormajor

One Too Many
Back in those days, you could mail order them out of the newspaper. Ex-service stuff. Some sort of silly price like 7pounds,19 shillings and sixpence.

The ads used to run in Reveille Magazine. Always cool ads in there. John Lennon bought his first guitar from an ad in Reveille!

Happy days:D:D;)

Last edited:

jon11

A-List Customer
I remember those days too, my first leather jacket by mail order many moons ago, £15. Unfortunately stolen whenever I left it over the chair in a local cafe :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran