Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fantasy Vehicle

Red and black two-tone would be better. I just am a nostalgic type and that car was my first 'love' car-wise, so I'd like to have one. I remember sitting in Dad's lap and steering it on the farm as a kid. What's more thrilling when you're just a little guy than to get to drive the car?

This is as close as I could get:
55chcatredblk_lf2.jpg

Unless you like this one:p:

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Well, you just might make it at that. My father was 5"10" and he had a hard time with the pedals but not the roof height so you might be ok if you don't mind cramped pedal conditions. I wear a size 11 and it is a pain to shift and stop without hitting two pedals at once. :p

I wear a size 11, too. I would never have thought it was that cramped. I'll have to take a closer look at one the next time I'm at a car show.

Yes, they're relatively small, but I was hoping you had some first hand (or foot) experience. I find direct comparisons to be the most reliable.

Not much direct comparison here. :p The Jag was bad enough and I just never went near something that small again.
It reminds me of that Blind Justice episode of Magnum PI. Tom Seleck in that convertible XKE was hilarious. He looked over the windshield and he could barely drive it. :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Not "Golden Era", and a bit too much of a young rake's go-mobile for a fellow of my years, but THIS is my ideal of a sports model:

09-Alco-Racer-DV-09_GC_01.jpg

An ALCO, built (of course) by the American Locomotive Company. I've always loved those chain-drive brutes!

For an economy car, this little Sears is nice. I've driven one, and it really is peppier than one would expect. Not a one-lung Cadillac, of course, but peppy!

10sears_lt2.jpg

I've also always liked the Ford Model A, though one has always been beyond my purse:

Ford_A_1903_f3q.jpg

Had one of these in College, and would give a great deal to have it back.

graham_885_28.jpg

8 cylinder 1928 Paige-Detroit, a beauty in apple green, black and cream. Hard on gas, though.

Edward

Bartender

Ah, yes! That's the one. Looks like it'd cost in the region of twenty-five grand to have them build it, for which I'd need a substantial lottery win (a car being fairly far down the "to buy" list). Probably hitting the ceiling of what I'd be happy paying out on any car, irrespective of how much disposable income I had... still, nice to dream! :)

My mom had an Aston Martin Lagonda in the 80s like this one:

1382-31294322954-3.jpg

I never understood why everyone loved that car. I personally thought it was uglier than sin.

Although previous models were lovely :)

Those always look to me like somebody was trying to draw an XJ6 with an Etch-a-Sketch. The last (and, truth be told, only) Aston to really appeal to me was the DB5. I was gutted to discover the ejector seat wasn't standard. I'd still rather have had the Bentley....

Love that colour!

Not "Golden Era", and a bit too much of a young rake's go-mobile for a fellow of my years, but THIS is my ideal of a sports model:

09-Alco-Racer-DV-09_GC_01.jpg

An ALCO, built (of course) by the American Locomotive Company. I've always loved those chain-drive brutes!

That looks like it would be quite a fun beast to drive, once you got the hang of it.

8 cylinder 1928 Paige-Detroit, a beauty in apple green, black and cream. Hard on gas, though.

There's are reasons most old American cars get referred to as "Yank Tanks" over here, and having the proportions and handling of a Routemaster are only a couple of them. ;) I adore the look of a lot of the old American stuff from the late twenties through to the latter Fifties, but I could never afford to feed one.

Rathdown

Practically Family
I've owned two E-Types, a 1961 convertible, and a 1965 coupé similar to the one in your photo. At the time I was 6'1", weighed 180 lbs, and wore a size 10 1/2 D shoe. The only common complaints I had about both cars were the narrow toe-board which made it a tad awkward to drive if wearing heavy-soled shoes (forget about wearing Doc Maartens), and the rather poor headlamps, especially in rainy weather. Oh, and at over 110-115 mph the front end tended to lift-- I can't imagine what it would have been like at 130+ mph! Other than that, both cars were a dream to drive, and as reliable as houses on the 100 mile daily commute between my home in Tujunga Canyon and office in Costa Mesa. Ca.

I suspect that Jaguar got its reputation as being unreliable due to two factors, the first being that a lot of original owners approached driving the car the same way they approached driving a Buick, ie: put it in gear and go, and were not terribly fastidious about regular servicing. The second factor that came into play was that a lot of used E-Types were bought by folks who, generally speaking, couldn't afford to keep the car on the road and literally drove them into the ground.

If you really want an E-Type $50k will buy you an excellent, older restoration, coupé. That's not chump change, but then E-Types aren't for chumps. If it were me, I'd sell my least favorite child to Yemeni slave traders and borrow the rest...

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I'm in my "mid-life crisis" years so I should be wanting some sleek, low-slung, red sportscar but ever since I saw this picture this has been my fantasy vehicle, an Alfa Aerodinamica. I imagine a few heads would turn when you drove this down the street.
Alfa_40-60_HP_AerodinamicaQuicke-mailview.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran