Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Fabrics from 1940

Snookie

Practically Family
I did some research today at school, and I scanned the fabric pages of the 1940 Spring/Summer Sears catalog. Don't miss the "Gone With The Wind" page. Enjoy!

Sears-Fabric-Page-367.gif

Sears-Fabric-Page-368.gif

Sears-Fabric-Page-369.gif

Sears-Fabric-Page-370.gif

Sears-Fabric-Page-371.gif

Sears-Fabric-Page-372.gif

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Oh, if only we could find rayons in such great prints today! :)
And for only 55 cents a yard!

I always wondered what Sharkskin is...I have seen it listed on some of my vintage patterns as a recommended fabric.

Thanks for scanning these!

Snookie

Practically Family
I've been wondering about sharkskin lately too - and is this the same stuff they made sharkskin suits out of later on?

And how about that Paradise cotton at 13 and-a-half(!) cents/yard?

BTW, I posted the pages in the order they occur in the catalog, if anyone cares.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a great post. I just adore these fabrics. They were so much fun. It seems that back then gal's could really go far out when it came to really busy, fun and interesting fabrics. Now-a-day's, although some materials are still nice, there seems to be a lack of fun and shall I say "playful" fabrics that can take a plain old dress from the doldrums to "wow".

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
What a great reference post! I love all the rayon prints, especially the "Gone with the Wind" line. It's cute that they used to have fabric tie-ins to big movies.

Thank you!

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much! I always have such a hard time picking out fabric because I just don't have the eye for it, but with this post, I'll have a better time choosing fabrics for the era I love so much :) I do wish some of these were still available, but we'll just have to buy from what is out there.

My dad actually has a half-cent. I think it's also called a wheat penny. It's got a boat on one side and a wheat thing on the other side.

Snookie

Practically Family
Wow, I've never heard of a half-cent (or wheat penny) before. I've heard of a ha'penny(sp?) in the Christmas carol and in Dickens, but I figured that was a peculiarly British thing.

As for the fabric, I was planning to print out some of these pages and take them with me when I go shopping. It's so easy to get overwhelmed by the choices (and wishing that the fabric looks vintage!) that I end up choosing prints that are completely wrong.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks SO MUCH for posting this--as someone said earlier, its a great reference. I love all the fabrics, but I'm particularly drooling over the "ready-made" dresses the models are sporting. I'd love to have an entire vintage wardrobe with these dresses!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great pictures!

I love those plaid woolens! I am trying to find a green and brown plaid to make a swagger suit, and having no luck. All the greens these days seem to be olive and chartreuse, which looks like liver damage on me. I want emerald or forest!
Also wish they still made metal cloth... all the plastic lame's are so stiff. I want to make a wool and lame dress a la 1934. With lame sleeves and yoke. Anyone seen any metal cloth?

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much for bumping this up, it's such a great thread!! I think I'll have to print out the pages for my inspiration book :D

I LOVE the dress on pg 371! It's absolutely adorable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails