Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Twitch said:
P4280003.jpg

I'm really diggin' the curb-feelers and the AC. Very classy!

Chas

One Too Many
I'm a Cadillac man, myself. More songs written about Caddies than any other car, a symbol of success and was, at one time, always on the cutting edge.

41cad.gif

Cadillac_Sedanette_1947.jpg

37CadillacLaSalleOpCpe.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
AtomicEraTom said:
If I could have ANY car, it would be a 1960 Chevrolet Impala Convertible Either Red or White with a white top and red or black interior (houndstooth as it came from the factory. 348 Big Block Motor with the tri-power (3-2 barrel carburetors) and a Powerglide transmission, bone stock of course.
chevrolet-impala-1960-1.jpg

impala.jpg

Definitely a beauty, although I prefer the '59 with its teardrop rear lights and its curvier gull wings.

Widebrim said:
Definitely a beauty, although I prefer the '59 with its teardrop rear lights and its curvier gull wings.

I'm Biased....

My First car was a 1960 Bel-Air, and when my dad was a kid, they had a 1960 Impala. I like the Cat-Eye lites, but Dad hates them, so I'll probably not have a 59 for a long time. But I'm a fan of American Graffiti, and have a 1958 Chevy I tinker with.

Story

I'll Lock Up
A bit past the Golden Era, but a good news story nonetheless

Tom Shaughnessy gambled that he was the only one who knew the unknown chassis on eBay was a Ferrari 340 America—and he was right

By Paul Duchene

If a desirable “barn find” is the closest a car buff gets to God, as Peter Egan says, then Tom Shaughnessy must be the Almighty’s riding mechanic right now. California collector and SCMer Shaughnessy scored a genuine 1952 Ferrari 340 America Spider chassis this summer in a Frankfort, Illinois, garage sale. The sale was on eBay, and Shaughnessy bought it for $26,912—less than one percent of the car’s estimated restored value.

In a story full of twists, both he and seller Mike Sanfilippo are delighted with the outcome of the auction and plan to be on hand when the restored car is presented to the world. Shaughnessy hopes to have a rolling chassis as soon as next summer. A correct body will follow.

ALMOST CUT IT UP

“I almost cut up the chassis to make a hotwheels dragster out of the Devin body,” says the cheery Sanfilippo, who’s a retired drag racer. “Good thing that goofy project never happened!”

Sanfilippo replied to condolences (presumably from underbidders) on the Ferrari chat page with breezy cheer. He embraces the profound idea that no one owns historic artifacts; they become chapters in the provenance. “What’s with you guys?” he wrote. “I’m getting more condolences than congratulations. I paid $200 over 15 years ago and have no idea of how to restore it properly. That’s a 13,500 percent return on my investment in 15 years. Not bad in my book.”

Complete article at
http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/948

Shirin

A-List Customer
And since I like flashy cars these would be my next favorites...
1938 Mercedes 540K Cabriolet A
ec4mb540kcaba37.jpg

1936 Mercedes 540K Special Roadster
61-1936MercedesBenz540K.jpg

davestlouis

Practically Family
My dream car(s) would be a matched procession...
1. 1959 Cadillac sedan
2. 1959-63 Superior funeral coach on a Cadillac chassis
3. 1959-63 Cadillac Series 75 limousine

I'm in the funeral trade, and think a retro procession would be the height of cool. As much as I like our new DTS's and Town Cars, late 50s cars are my favorite.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I always had a soft-spot for those old-style funeral flower cars? The ones that look sort of like El Caminos?

Come to think of it.... Were they actually El Caminos?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany