Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Again: impressive parallel parking skills required. These are all some beautiful automobiles, gentlemen. (Except for the Chinese MG. Sacrilege.)
There was a time when I would occasionally buy a monthly magazine called MG Enthusiast. Not any more, the editor more or less castigated those MG owners who describe the grafting of an MG badge onto one of SAIC's, run of the mill, forgettable cars, as snobs. "Not a proper MG?" He taunts, of course it's not, just like your SAIC sponsored trashy publication is not a proper motoring journal.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Inspector Morse drove a Jaguar Mark 2. Burgundy. One episode's opening scene was Morse unwrapping
a newly bought classical music cassette and popping it inside his radio/cassette; cannot recall if it was Bach's Violin #2
Concerto but the inspector deeply impressed as a man most comfortable in his own skin. His depressive moodiness
conflicting sharply with his seemingly innate comfort and happiness.
All occurred inside a Burgundy Jag Mark deuce. I like the MG brand, but the cat got me good. :)

Personal reminder to myself: I need to get all of Morse and Lewis.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Personal reminder to myself: I need to get all of Morse and Lewis.
Have you not had the TV series: "Endeavour," shown yet? It's what's called a prequel. It's Endeavour Morse in his early days in the police.
Amongst other cars he gets to drive a Mk2.
morse.jpg morse1.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Have you not had the TV series: "Endeavour," shown yet? It's what's called a prequel. It's Endeavour Morse in his early days in the police.
Amongst other cars he gets to drive a Mk2.
View attachment 353844 View attachment 353845

I have heard of this prequel though not conversant with the factual evidence in said series.
Seems worth a look.

Morse, masterfully portrayed by the late John Thaw appealed because of his faults, foibles,
inner struggles and all too human nature. Had problems with women. Read, smart, bit of a lone wolf.
Especially enjoyed his lapse into grammatical case: The dative, subjunctive, Lewis..." Classical music.
Jaguar driver. A depressive who fought his own demons. Bachelor. Add a pinch of poet scoundrel,
stir the caldron. Know he had to have admired the Bard. Favored Wagner.

And the Jaguar Mark deuce wasn't just a car but a chariot. :cool:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Shaun Evans captures the spirit of Morse, perfectly, as he portrays him in his younger days. His mentor is a senior officer name of Fred Thursday, played by the inimitable, Roger Allam. With a nod to the original Morse, there's more than previously shown, press interest. The journalist, Dorothea Frazil, is played by none other than, Abigail Thaw, John Thaw's daughter.

Those of us who were around in the sixties can relate to all the small details, like checking your loose change to see if you have the right coins to use the public telephone. There's iconic images aplenty, I find it compulsive viewing.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Shaun Evans captures the spirit of Morse, perfectly, as he portrays him in his younger days. His mentor is a senior officer name of Fred Thursday, played by the inimitable, Roger Allam. With a nod to the original Morse, there's more than previously shown, press interest. The journalist, Dorothea Frazil, is played by none other than, Abigail Thaw, John Thaw's daughter.

Those of us who were around in the sixties can relate to all the small details, like checking your loose change to see if you have the right coins to use the public telephone. There's iconic images aplenty, I find it compulsive viewing.

I'll make a note to get this and Dexter's lit canon the character and series based.

These posts have been a journey down memory lane. Remember The Baron series with Sue Lloyd?
Need to get that also. Talk about compulsive viewing. :cool:;):):D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner