Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Christmas movies

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
"A Christmas Story" has to be a favorite, because it was shot in Cleveland. (If the fans of the movie ever come here, you can now see and tour that house):
Here's the link

Then there are the classics, which I love, such as "A Wonderful Life."

"A Midnight Clear" is astoundingly good (I also have the book), but I wouldn't exactly watch it to feel good about the season.

I also love a recent movie, "Olive the Other Reindeer." It's filled with puns (Round John Virgin is another), a postman who wants to stop Christmas because it's too much work, a deer bar and the quote, "What does Deux ex machina mean?"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227173/

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
As to a Christmas Story...It does not hurt to have some sentimentality about childhood to enjoy this film, if you don't have that it probably won't work for you.

I have no sentimentality about childhood, and didn't find this movie at all sentimental. To me, it showed, in a funny way, all the frustrations and the thousand little hells of being a child. Yet Ralphie was a pretty good kid through it all, and that made him a sympathetic character.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
The original Miracle on 34th Street with Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Wood.
It's a Wonderful Life

And I'm sure I've said it before but, my offbeat choice is John Ford's 3 Godfathers starring John Wayne.

But I do still have a soft spot for those claymation/stop-action photography Santa Claus specials. :)

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Die Hard ;)

then 'Trading Places', 'The Ref', 'Scrooged' & 'Ghost Busters II' .... I'm not too traditional when it comes to Christmas flicks, but I do watch 'It's a Wonderful Life' & 'A Christmas Story' every year lol

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
I love A Charlie Brown Christmas (Have the soundtrack and love it!), Frosty the Snowman, Frosty's Winter Wonderland, and a good number of those old Rankin/Bass cartoon/stop-motion/movies.

Hondo

One Too Many
I only feel sentimental about "A Christmas Story" due to the time period clothes, snow suits, as a kid I and others were clueless, just little kids not as bright with such an imagination as Ralphie boy and friends, foes.
I even see it in children today, knowing so much, growing up too fast.
If your a kid, stay a kid for as long as you can, adulthood isn't as fun.

Paisley said:
I have no sentimentality about childhood, and didn't find this movie at all sentimental. To me, it showed, in a funny way, all the frustrations and the thousand little hells of being a child. Yet Ralphie was a pretty good kid through it all, and that made him a sympathetic character.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
dahliaoleander said:
I love A Charlie Brown Christmas (Have the soundtrack and love it!), Frosty the Snowman, Frosty's Winter Wonderland, and a good number of those old Rankin/Bass cartoon/stop-motion/movies.

I have the soundtrack to A Charlie Brown Christmas also. My favorite song on it is called (I think) "Skating."

Grant Fan

Practically Family
It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street with Maureen O'Hara
and of course The Bishop's Wife with none other than my favorite Mr. Cary Grant

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It's a Wonderful Life
The Bishop's Wife
Christmas in Connecticut
Miracle on 34th Street
White Christmas
The Shop Around the Corner
Holiday Affair, with Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh

and my favorite of all, Preston Sturges' Remember the Night. Goldwyn Girl, you MUST see it. It's great.

It's at once sentimential and a bit hardboiled, perfect for the holiday season. Stanwyck's great in it, and so is Fred MacMurray. I recommend it to everyone. It deserves a much greater acclaim than it's received. It's a holiday tradition at my house.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Why in the heck did they ever remake Miracle on 34th Street? I thought when they colorized it, that was enough, but apparently not. [huh]

Classydame

One of the Regulars
A couple of my favorites, Beyond Tomorrow (Christmas) with Harry Carey, C. Aubrey Smith and Charles Winninger and A Christmas in Connecticut.

Harry Carey is one of my favorite character actors and Dennis Morgan is a doll.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
skyvue said:
and my favorite of all, Preston Sturges' Remember the Night. Goldwyn Girl, you MUST see it. It's great.

It's at once sentimential and a bit hardboiled, perfect for the holiday season. Stanwyck's great in it, and so is Fred MacMurray. I recommend it to everyone. It deserves a much greater acclaim than it's received. It's a holiday tradition at my house.

Now I'm even more excited and can hardly wait till Saturday !!!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
The Wizard of Oz, your greatest mistake was in reading the book before seeing the film.

Well, I'd read it *years* before seeing the film, and wasn't expecting it to be greatly like the book. :) I just wasn't impressed by the movie!

It does not hurt to have some sentimentality about childhood to enjoy this film, if you don't have that it probably won't work for you.

If you watch it go into it with NO expectations and demands, just watch it as a story about a kid and if you are lucky it will re-awaken the kid in you.

I'll take that as a recommendation then! :) Perhaps I'll watch it this year...

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Imahomer said:
Why in the heck did they ever remake Miracle on 34th Street? I thought when they colorized it, that was enough, but apparently not. [huh]
I agree the remake was awful, and to be honest I neer even thought that the original needed to be colorized

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran