Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite crown height and brim width

Havana

One of the Regulars
I tend to go with more of the traditional Australian style of a lower crown (4.25-4.5") and a wider brim (2.75 - 3"). That works best for my massive Jack in the Box sized head.

bigbjorn

New in Town
Great thread.

I like 5 - 5.5 crown height and 2.00 - 2.25 brims. If had to live with 5x2.125 for the rest of my life, I'd be ok.

jneedham said:
4 1/2 inch crown w/a 2 inch brim
The avatar shows an extreme, compared to most, but there's a story there:
I grew up in a very particular culture. My family, father and grandfather, were both heavy hitters in the 50's and 60's in the meat packing industry and also ranchers. All the executives in the stockyards wore either very short brimmed cattleman's hats or Open Roads. Presumably, and based on my memory, to differentiate them from the cowboys, ranchers and customers in the stockyards. I decided to cut down an old hat until the brim dimentions/porportions felt like those stockyard boss hats. I landed at a two inch brim although I think the Standard Open road is probably the correct model or icon. It feels right.
Welcome JM. I've got Open Roads in 3", 2 3/4" & 2 5/8" brims. Even gave away one that had a less than 2" brim.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
same ol' same ol'

I favor 5-6 inch crowns and 2.5 to 3 inche brims.

But one of the fun things with hats it to keep them guessing, so I also have some stingy brims and a couple of short-crown pork pies, too

Still, there is little in life that is more exciting than a big-boy fedora with a full, tall crown and wide brim.

Makes you want to fire up the grill!lol

cptjeff

Practically Family
Due to my face shape, I look best in a short, tapered crown. I have tried taller, it looked awful. To me anyway, I still got compliments. [huh] I'm short and have a longer face, wearing a large crown and a huge brim just makes me look like a kid in his dad's hat.

My favorite hat is the gray one (see it in my avatar), and it has a 4" crown and a 1 3/4" brim. The hat I get the most compliments on is the camel one, which has a 4 1/2" crown and a 2" brim. I like that shape a lot, but need to get one in a color that works with more of my wardrobe.

I'm not against taller, straighter crowns. I think they look great, just not on me.

frussell

One Too Many
Big guy with skinny guy taste

Unfortunately, I'm built more like Hoss from Bonanza than I'd like, so anything with less than a 2 1/2" brim looks stingy on me. Ditto the low crowns. Unless I want to look like Magilla Gorilla, I need something at least 5 1/2 to 6 inches when open. I recently wore a super nice custom beaver fedora with a 2 3/8" brim, and my mother asked me if I got a porkpie hat for Christmas. Realistically, my Fed IV's dimensions look the most natural on me, but I still wear stingy brims and low crowns anyway. The nice thing about being Hoss sized is few people feel comfortable criticizing your headwear! Since I also wear in between a 7 3/4 and 7 7/8, my situation becomes more complicated. Sometimes there's just nothing else available except for something that doesn't quite suit me. Thank goodness for Akubras and their wide selection of colors, brim sizes and open crowns, or I'd have to go custom exclusively. Frank

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I generally favor brim widths of 2 1/2" to 2 7/8" even though one of my favorites (the Pilgim) has only a 2 1/4" brim. With the crowns I like 5 1/2" to 6" (open). If the crown is tall enough I believe I could also take a 3" brim. Ideal measurements would be either 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" brim with a 4 3/4" or 5" crown (creased)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hoss vs Adam

Frank,

Know what you mean.

We would all like to think we still look like Adam Cartright, have the wit of Little Joe and the bucks of Pa, when the truth is, we all look more like Hoss than we would like!lol

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
My first post here. I've loved hats since I was a kid in the early 70s wearing my grandfather's fedora. I've recently lost most of my hair to alopecia and out of necessity I started wearing hats more often. I am experimenting with different crown heights and brim widths and have recently bought 3 Jaxon brand hats of differing measurements. They look and feel like decent hats to me and are not terribly expensive.

I have a diamond crown with 3.5" crown and 1.5" brim that I wear turned up and it feels like a "casual" hat.

I have the Jaxon Rude Boy with a 3.25" center dent crown and 1.5" brim that seems more "professional" and in fact I wear it to work with a coat and tie.

I just picked up the Jaxon Detroit with a 4" C-crown and a 2.25" brim. This one feels very dressy and with such a wider brim than the others I am still deciding if it suits me. It doesn't look odd, it's just different.

Sorry for such a long post for such a simple question, but since it was my first, I thought I'd introduce myself at the same time. Thanks for such great information on this board.

J

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Thanks to the seasoned eyes of the Lounge I've been able to figure out that the best brim width for me is around 2 1/4-2 1/2. (The Thoroughbred in my avatar is 2 1/4). Mr P, of course, mounts a commanding argument for much wider brims and I do have an OR and a Squatter that are pushing the 3" mark.

Crowns of 5" to 5 1/2" work well with the 2 1/2 to 2 1/4 dimensions on me.

But I still like to sneak around in my stingier brims too - I just don't tell the Lounge....sssshhhhhhh

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
But I still like to sneak around in my stingier brims too - I just don't tell the Lounge....sssshhhhhhh

Just watch out! I might be lurking in the pouch of the next kangaroo (or any marsupial for that matter) with a camera...and all photos will go straight to the Lounge! :whip: :p :D

theinterchange

One Too Many
As a general rule [which can and is broken from time to time], I typically like 5 1/2" +/- crown heights and 2 1/2 + brim widths.

But, like I said, it's a rule that can, is, and will be broken from time to time. And I'm actually always looking for the "right" stingy brim for my taste.

Randy

After much experimentation I have settled on 5" to 5 1/4' on the side crown with a 2 1/2" raw edge brim. Wide (ish) ribbon. Either a centre dent or a teardrop bash with a slight rake. I am okay with a bit of taper. I am 6'1"/210lbs with what I think is a fat head. The taller crowns (above 5 1/4") seems too tall for me and the hat enters the room before I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters