Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite crown height and brim width

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I'm with you on City Hats , 5.5" Open Crown Minimum , 2 1/2" Brim Minimum , BUT the Zone is 5.75"-6" Open Crown , 2 3/4"-3" (maybe more) Brim . Straight Crown , no to not much taper at all . Westerns are another Story ... .

RJR

I'm with you on City Hats , 5.5" Open Crown Minimum , 2 1/2" Brim Minimum , BUT the Zone is 5.75"-6" Open Crown , 2 3/4"-3" (maybe more) Brim . Straight Crown , no to not much taper at all . Westerns are another Story ... .
This is pretty much my choice zone as well.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Low crown, around 4" and 2 1/4" brim.
I am still learning, but I don't like the way tall crowns look on me.

Everyone's different , but I've aways heard people not used to seeing a Hat on them thing most look too high . This thread by Vic is REALLY GOOD ! http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hat-life-yearbook-1946.86490/ Hat Life Yearbook 1946 it tells what looks best on each type of person , Hat type , Color , everything , even clothing to go with it . Especially the first Post (I think) is indispensable , I'd like a copy . Covers height , head shape , chin , complexion , hair color , build , everything you could think of and more . Fascinating Retail Guide to selling the Right Hat to any customer , plus attire that works Best .

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
a 3 foot crown and 17" brim has always looked best on me ... but they are really hard to come by these days

I only have 45 of them ... if anyone has one hit me up

I'll be sure to take a completely unnecessary amount of pictures of one .... most of them showing my face staring directly into the camera and very little of the hat ... and post them in the "what hat are you wearing" thread.
I'll make sure I post the same one every 3 days as well ... just in case you missed it the first 44 times

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
a 3 foot crown and 17" brim has always looked best on me ... but they are really hard to come by these days

I only have 45 of them ... if anyone has one hit me up

I'll be sure to take a completely unnecessary amount of pictures of one .... most of them showing my face staring directly into the camera and very little of the hat ... and post them in the "what hat are you wearing" thread.
I'll make sure I post the same one every 3 days as well ... just in case you missed it the first 44 times

+1

addison

One of the Regulars
Everyone's different , but I've aways heard people not used to seeing a Hat on them thing most look too high . This thread by Vic is REALLY GOOD ! http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hat-life-yearbook-1946.86490/ Hat Life Yearbook 1946 it tells what looks best on each type of person , Hat type , Color , everything , even clothing to go with it . Especially the first Post (I think) is indispensable , I'd like a copy . Covers height , head shape , chin , complexion , hair color , build , everything you could think of and more . Fascinating Retail Guide to selling the Right Hat to any customer , plus attire that works Best .

Thanks brother!

It is true that I'm still getting used to seeing myself in hats, that's part of what I'm up against in finding my style.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
And make sure to wear shades...
12814642_1047604615280601_7040123302703949611_n.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
For me, I like the open crown height on my fedoras at 5 3/4 inches. That's definitely plenty tall. The brims, I like no wider than 2 3/4 and no less than 2 5/8 inches.

Open Crown, 5 3/4. Brim, 2 3/4. Center Dent creased 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 to the back. The crown height after creasing is an over all 5 inches.
Nutria_Felt_05.jpg

Nutria_and_Black_Jacket_RC.jpg

This one came from Mike Miller, Northwest Hat Co.

Open crown height at 5 3/4 inches. Brim is 2 3/4. This one is creased in a C crown, 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 at the back. The over all crown height after creasing is 5 inches.

Northwest_Hat_3.jpg

Northwest_Hat_and_Green_Flannel.jpg

RJR

For me, I like the open crown height on my fedoras at 5 3/4 inches. That's definitely plenty tall. The brims, I like no wider than 2 3/4 and no less than 2 5/8 inches.

Open Crown, 5 3/4. Brim, 2 3/4. Center Dent creased 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 to the back. The crown height after creasing is an over all 5 inches.
Nutria_Felt_05.jpg

Nutria_and_Black_Jacket_RC.jpg

This one came from Mike Miller, Northwest Hat Co.

Open crown height at 5 3/4 inches. Brim is 2 3/4. This one is creased in a C crown, 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4 at the back. The over all crown height after creasing is 5 inches.

Northwest_Hat_3.jpg

Northwest_Hat_and_Green_Flannel.jpg
Lookin' good TJ,that NW is a beauty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn