Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite crown height and brim width

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
So, what's your favorite crown/brim combination? On me, I think a high crown 5.5-6 inches, and brim anywhere from 1 7/8- 2.25 inches looks best. Shorter crowns don't work for me because I've got a high forehead and it pushes out the center dent. Post pics!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
5"-5.5" crown (with creases popped out) and brim between 2 1/4" and 3". I have a tall head so a tallish crown looks and feels best and I personally think that the brim should mirror the crown. High crown with wide brim and low crown with short/stingy brim.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
5" to 5 1/2" crown (not so much for the tallness as the fact I can choose from more crease styles) and a brim of 2 1/4 to 2 1/2". It's more the overall look that usually influences my purchase however, even if the figures aren't ideal...

N. :)

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Crown 4 1/2 to 5 in.--Brim 2 1/4 to 2 5/8 in fedoras.

5 in. crown with 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 brim on a western with a cattleman's crease.

Here are two old pictures for my current western creased custom with 2 1/2 brim:

phone1008008.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

And my favorite fedora dimensions:

October08018.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
My general preference is a 5.5" crown height and a 2 1/4" brim width. When the crown is higher or the brim is wider, I feel like the hat begins to wear me.

metropd

One Too Many
Why are so many young skinny guys afraid to wear wider brims? I do it all the time. It use to be the standard for skinny guys to wear a 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 brim.
Is Everybody lying to me that the wider brims work for me? I think bigger guys can pull off stingies and skinny guys can pull off wider brims, its all in the presentation and how you wear it.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
metropd said:
Why are so many young skinny guys afraid to wear wider brims? I do it all the time. It use to be the standard for skinny guys to wear a 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 brim.
Is Everybody lying to me that the wider brims work for me? I think bigger guys can pull off stingies and skinny guys can pull off wider brims, its all in the presentation and how you wear it.

Very pregnant remark, metropd.

I think most of the young guys have a different vision, perception, of the hat as lid. It must be based upon how fashion functions. I don't think there is, at large, a general appreciation amongst youth, for things "vintage". It is not, as a rule, a thing for the young to look back at things which, at best (usually in error), may make the past be perceived as "grand"; quite to the contrary, I think. My sons (20 and 22), know me very well, I've explained them about hats and quality, but they are not, intrinsically, interested in hats. They have their own agenda, and hats are not a part of it. And they both look extremely handsome with a high crown <3 inch Fedora but no, they won't wear such hat. No way. There's nothing I can do about that, nor would I do anything about it.

People on this board aren't lying to you. Most on this particular board are, I feel, quite ...particular in that we like hats. And young people wearing hats, well, now that's a show! Of course, you are into retro, in a well-dressed city way. I don't notice my own retro, with blue jean pants and Levis vest. That kind of retro is not perceived as such...

There is one particular guy on this board -hi GWD- permit me to say, not a small head by any means, he wears 99% pork pie or stingy brim hats; looks absolutely fantastic wearing those hats, like he was born for such brims...yet it's contrary to the general rules on "proportion".

When younger, I was mostly shy wearing my (then-time wide brim cowboy) hat. Disproportional; (the shyness). It takes some courage to come forward to what one likes.

My favorite crown height? Five inches upwards (crown), and upto max. 3 inches brim, for a fedora. Cowboy hats, sombreros, traditional Andalucian "Zorro" hats, etc. are the exceptions.

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner