Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite everyday watch

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the sympathy Lear

I miss them all, even those I rarely wore. But they were "mine" damn it !
And you're right, the fools surely didn't know what they had and most likely traded them for pennies on the dollar.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm#

My everyday watch is a Precista PRS-53 (second from the bottom of the page in the above link). This watch is a homage to the 1953 Omega "Fat Arrow" as issued to the RAF in the same year. My watch has the advantage of being new (well about 3 years old now) and reliable, and not being worth nearly as much as an original Omega '53. It has a Swiss movement and an acrylic (plastic) domed crystal for that old fashioned look and shatter resistance and mine is the manual wind version. Timefactors also makes an automatic version for those who don't like to wind every day. Its black face and luminous hands and hour markers are very classic looking and it has no date, as many old watches didn't. It is also water resistant to 50 atmospheres so can be warn when washing dishes without worrying. The case is solid, brushed stainless steel.

The down side (possibly) is that it has fixed lug bars, like issued military watches, instead of the more common civilian spring-bars so must use a special one-piece or aviator-style band. The advantage of this system is that it you can't lose it due to a spring-bar giving way at an inopportune moment. It is also very easy to change bands for different occasions, and they are available, you just have to look a bit harder.

This is quite a dressy watch, owing to its simplicity and classic design, and looks great with everything from bushwear to a suit to a dinner jacket. It isn't a thick watch, and looks even thinner than it is because of the domed crystal.

My wife liked this watch so much that she wanted one for herself (it isn't a big watch at 37mm, but isn't tiny like so many vintage watches either) so that is what I got her for Christmas in 2007. She wears it almost every day.

For any of you who are interested, here is a link to an independant review that I think is very good, if a bit detailed. http://www.watcharama.com/prs53.htm

de Stokesay

Edward

Bartender
That Fat Arrow is a gorgeous watch.... such a shame that these military watches are only ever available in a silvertoned finish! (I prefer goldtone for daywear). For an evening watch, though.... hmmmnnn... It is, IMO, the most elegant, classy watch on that page, despite being the cheapest! If I was going to wear it daily, I'd opt for the automatic version, though if it was only going to be an occasional wear thing, manual wear would be just fine (I have a bunch of watches that are for occasional wear; most of them are automatic, but if I haven't been wearing it daily, I end up having to wind them up manually before I go out anyhow....).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Mine is a Certina DS Pilot Automatic. Absolutely love it...

foto_1128.jpg

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
I got my first automatic watch a couple of months ago. An $80 seiko seemed like a good, gentle introduction. lol

758899615_zvbCe-S.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails