Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite everyday watch

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Tomasso said:
I've had this Reverso for over three years and have been trying to decide what to do with the blank side.

Shoes099.jpg

There's engraving, from simple initials to elaborate design.

trapshooter11web.jpg

Or enameling, which can be quite unique as virtually any image, that you can supply, can be reproduced.

JLC_22_L.jpg

I am suffering some serious inertia on this project.

That enamel looks stunning, especially with the de Lempicka painting!:eusa_clap I´d jump for that one in a heartbeat.

My own every day watch (and, sadly, the only one I own) is just an old Puma, which my father gave to me years ago. He´d broken the glass on it twice at work, so he thought it would be better to pass it along to me and it´s served me well since then. The date function stopped working and I´ve had the steel band replaced twice, but I still like it, nonetheless.

If I had the money though, I´d probably get me a nice vintage looking pocket watch (anyone know of a model that doesn´t break the bank?) or something along the lines of the Reverso pictured above. In any case I´d prefer simplicity and classic looks over something flashy or too bulky, because unfortunately, though I´ve got fairly big hands, in comparison I do have the wrists of a twelve year old girl. :eek:

Regards, A.

Cobden

Practically Family
Vacheron Constantin gold self winding "Malte" wristwatch with a brown leather strap. A beutiful timepiece, made by the oldest watchmaker in the world.
Shame my one is a completely bogus knock off bought from a dodgy bloke with a suitcase in Moscow...

Bobajobbob

New in Town
I wear a rolex submariner most days. Simple and classic and good enough for James Bond.

I also have a tag monaco, a breitling divers watch and my Dad's old seamaster. I had a modern omega seamaster but gave it to my brother.

Next purchase will be a Panerai luminor. I just love the way they look though they are crazy overpriced and the movement isn't great.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Hamilton Khaki Automatic. Black face, stainless case and brown leather band. Simple, yet a classic and I wear it everywhere everyday (unless working in the yard). It is a heck of a nice watch for what I paid for it 15 years ago (before Hamilton was purchased by Swatch).

Anyone know a reputable source for vintage Hamilton watches?

My Two Cents

Daily its a WW2 s/s Wittnauer 24hr dial on o.d. canvas band,dress would be Longines tank or my Hamilton "Lester", years ago when the Rolex watches were not a status thing I owned about 8 different models.I was buying them used at Lewis & Sons in NYC,Rolex Explorer 1016s were 450.00,and Milgauss`s were a little more.Now that 1016 I bought for 450.00 they are around 5500-6000 bucks! who knew....................

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The watch in this photo is my daily ticker:

DSC05789.jpg

It's a Waltham M1895, made in 1899. 14-size, seven-jewel, stem-wind, stem-set watch. 5-year gold-filled case.

Talbot

One Too Many
I'm wondering when jeep will chime in. I go green when he posts his Omega's...

I don't have an everyday watch, I like to cycle through them so they stay fresh and I enjoy them more. For business travel I wear a waterproof and automatic Mido Ocean Star, but otherwise it's whatever takes my fancy. Having an office job helps.

I'm wearing an early 50's Cyma with sub dial currently. Yesterday was a late 40's Olma 2 register chrono.

Talbot

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
My 1950's black faced Elgin automatic that I picked up on ebay from Peru is my current favorite daily wearer. For a mechanical it keeps better time than my computer at work. For that matter so does my Waltham pocket watch from 1886. Go figure.
I have a Longines automatic Grand Prix that is missing the automatic mechanism but does wind up and looks fantastic & runs strong. I managed to find parts for it so now all I have to do is take it to the only watch maker in the area to have them swap the parts in & it will be complete.

Cheers!

Dan

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Don't know much about either of these...

..they both belonged to my late Grandfather, with whom I was really close. Both were given to him as gifts by grateful patents. I love them both and wear one of the two every day.

For everyday, Bulova "Selfwinding" w/. the date:
bulova.jpg

And for special occasions, Wittnauer "Automatic"
wittnaur.jpg

Lear

One of the Regulars
My everyday watch. Nice and heavy. Goes with everything, except a suit.

dscf0315.jpg

dscf0311.jpg

Lear

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Down to just a couple now.

I love watches, truly an artistic statement for a Gentleman… Mechanical sophistication, functional, practical, beautiful. They exude individual style & quality, and a myriad of designs to suit any occasion and tastes. They can really top off "the look" you are presenting.

Sadly, I had break in and theft a few years ago, and of course, the watches went out the door.
What was lost.... Gold/stainless Cartier Cougar, classic Movado Gold Museum with black lizard band, Stainless Rolex Submariner with green enamel, a first generation stainless Pulsar digital with red LED (a quirky watch that I loved), and several other Seikos, Bulovas, etc.

Now my everyday watch is a Wenger stainless w/black face and black leather band. Strong, seemingly indestructible, classic for everyday jeans/khakis and yet looks great with a suit as well.
I recently received a wonderful gift from my father….a vintage Stainless Rolex Oyster Datejust. Really amazing, I never even knew he had it, he has always been a “Timex” guy his whole life. He just had it stored away for years and years. So this is the current "dress" watch.

I also have a century old pocket watch inherited from my Grandfather in a safe deposit box. Silver, white gold and rose gold with a fob of turn of the century silver coins from around the world.

Now I need to get a few more. Not sure what will be purchased next. ….I wonder?

Valhson

One of the Regulars
I work in an office environment mostly so my daily watch is my 1930's Cuervo Y Sobrinos Habana. I also have a longines.

In my days in the service or for when I am in the bush messing about (we can include yard work days here also) it is the Suunto. Not pretty nor even remotely nice but you can't mess that thing up to save your life.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
New photo of my two watches. The one on the left (the railroad watch) I bought today. Once I'm satisfied that it's working a-okay, it'll be my new daily ticker.

DSC06100.jpg

Lear

One of the Regulars
Tailor Tom said:
<snipped>...Sadly, I had break in and theft a few years ago, and of course, the watches went out the door... <snipped>
Very sorry to hear that. The sad part, is that they won't have understood the true value of these pieces.

Lear

WH1

Practically Family
Longines Hydroconquest automatic or Seiko automatic dive watch, I am not a fan of battery powered and I am kind of hard on watches. I managed to break a G-Shock twice.

Edward

Bartender
I've worn a watch daily since I was about ten... Initially, I wore various digital models (the 1980s...), but since 1988 I've been a strictly analogue man. Since about 2003 or so when I started wearing a Russian Vostok (which I still have somewhere - it's an ideal travelling/ rugh use watch), I have gone over entirely to wearing mechanical watches. All but one are automatic. I prefer this for everyday use - saves me remembering to wind. Most of my collection are high-quality Chinese fakes which I have picked up for buttons out there. My daily wearer, however, is Japanese - an automatic Pulsar (a subsidiary brand owned by Seiko), gold plated stainless steel with a Champagne-coloured dial. Hour markings are simple oblongs, with a day/date window at the '3' position. Days are in both English and French, and depending upon how you set it it can display either. I bought this watch via eBay just over a year ago, paying about GBP20. Mine was ex-display, though it came without a single mark on it. Apparently they sell for GBP80 or so full retail. All other watches are reserved for occasional wear - evenings out, formal day events, etc. In tails, it is pocketwatches exclusively; I have a very nice Deco-style watch that I prefer with black tie. For the odd casual evening out day to day where I want to bother to switch to a silvertoned watch, I use a fake Rolex. Fairly modern design - quite chunky - but nothing as bling as so many of them seem to be nowadays. It also has a bit more complication than I would consider ideal, with subsidiary dials for day, date and year (fixed years, up to 2015.... presumably that would be perpetual on the real thing?). Myself, I prefer a watch to be as simple as possible - ideally without even the now ubiquitous day/date function. Still, it's a nice watch that keeps great time, so.

For regular, if not quite daily, wear I'd also love something in the style of a Hamilton Ventura; I did consider splurging as a present to myself at one point, but the dealbreaker was that they seem to be all quartz. One of the great joys of having a whole bunch of mechanical watches is never feeling that you're wasting money keeping batteries in the ones you might not have worn for a few weeks or months!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana