Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite frizz fighting cream?

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
This is for use in vintage and non vintage hair.

I have very fine hair and since I have a new job and can ride the bus I do! :) Anyway, when it's humid and I'm waiting for the bus or walking to work my hair will get fuzzy. Normally I do it straight with some velcro rollers.

What type of product can I use after taking out my rollers to keep it from frizzing for fuzzing? I would need something that wouldn't weigh my fine hair down.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

M

LadyL

New in Town
I use this product to smooth down my curls if they are a bit frizzy:

http://www.folica.com/Healthy_Sexy_Ha_d4768.html

It is light enough that it doesn't ruin the curl, but has enough hold to smooth things out a bit. Great for when I get ridges from my rollers that I want to brush straight.

I also use this product instead of hairspray, it's a finishing spray by Tresemme that helps with frizz:

http://www.stylehive.com/bookmark/t...-shield-hair-sprays-health-beauty-ozbo-730348

It's nice because it gives a lot of shine and a light hold without the helmet hair effect, and I can brush through it easily.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
If you've got fine hair, a cream you put on dry hair will do nothing but weigh it down. What you need is a lotion you apply to damp hair after washing.

The best out there is Sebastian's Potion 9. This works for all hair types and could smooth the fuzz off a peach. It works for my mothers borneo-bush woman hair, so it can work for anything!

Sebastian products are on the pricey side. The only drugstore brand that compares is John Frieda's Secret Weapon.

These are the best sellers in my beauty supply experience, but by all means, try out lots of different products. That's the only way to find the best one for your hair.

Good luck!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've had good results with Aveeno Nourish+Moisturize conditioner. But I have thick, straight hair that gets fluffy (but not frizzy) in dry weather. Aveeno makes shot-sized conditioners you can try out.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
vampygirl13 said:
This is for use in vintage and non vintage hair.

I have very fine hair and since I have a new job and can ride the bus I do! :) Anyway, when it's humid and I'm waiting for the bus or walking to work my hair will get fuzzy. Normally I do it straight with some velcro rollers.

What type of product can I use after taking out my rollers to keep it from frizzing for fuzzing? I would need something that wouldn't weigh my fine hair down.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

M

hi Vampygirl,

I also have very fine, thin, curly hair with an oily scalp. Mine will frizz terribly because of all the breaks. The 2 things I have found that work the best and won't weight it down or make it greasy are John Freida Frizz-Ease hair serum - but look for the lite formula. It is specifically for fine hair and won't weight it down as much as the regular one. I also really like Bouncy Creme by ISO. It is a salon or beauty supply purchase, but I feel worth it. (ISO also have a great styling spray called Bouncy Spray. I use it when I let my hair air dry, so not sure how it would work with rollers.)

Both of them can be used on wet or dry hair. When I pin curl set, I have been using the Bouncy Creme before I put in the setting lotion and set it up. I use the Frizz-Ease after I have brushed the curls out to smooth things down further. Since you really can't keep adding more product later in the day as things frizz up, you could always get your hair all done up, head out for the bus, get frizzed, then use the serum after you get to work to smooth things out. During the day, I find wiping my damp hands over my hair sort of reactivates what is in there already.

It is a constant struggle! I have given up altogether on a nice sleek smooth ponytail and embraced my hair halo!

What I will never manage

jessica-simpson-05-espy-awards-ponytail-hairstyle.jpg

What I get (only much worse)

ghd301.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
VO5 Sheer Hairdressing (often found with the men's products). It's extremely lightweight but adds shine and controls frizzies, without risk of weighing down your hair or making it look greasy. I use it on my stick straight hair to fight flyaways, use it to help define curls after a set, and mostly I add it to my hair along with setting lotion when I'm doing a set.

I've tried the Sebastian Potion 9 that was recommended earlier and I don't like it at all. I find it too sticky and heavy.

jsands

New in Town
I'm a fan of the Redken "Fresh Curls" anti-frizz shiner. I bought it at the salon on clearance ($1!!) and it has worked out nicely. I put it into my hair after towel drying it, and then brush through. I use the Redken "All Soft" gold glimmer product (also on clearance for $1!) after styling to help give extra shine.

For the little flyaways that I have near my crown (those tiny little new hairs that want to stick out every which way), I use Redken's "Smooth Down" sleek obedience. It's a pot of solid antifrizz serum. I also use it to smooth down my bangs when I want to clip them to the side.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
KittyT said:
VO5 Sheer Hairdressing (often found with the men's products). It's extremely lightweight but adds shine and controls frizzies, without risk of weighing down your hair or making it look greasy. I use it on my stick straight hair to fight flyaways, use it to help define curls after a set, and mostly I add it to my hair along with setting lotion when I'm doing a set.

You beat me to it -- this is the best stuff I've ever used. I used to use the regular VO5 in a tube, but it's denser and required me to use a very very tiny dab spread very thin. The sheer version is much more forgiving.

Inky

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
You beat me to it -- this is the best stuff I've ever used. I used to use the regular VO5 in a tube, but it's denser and required me to use a very very tiny dab spread very thin. The sheer version is much more forgiving.

thanks for that recommendation Kitty and Lizzie - I've used regular v05 and like it but I can see where the Sheer version would be better.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Does the VO5 Sheer Hairdressing have the same smell as the regular VO5? I dislike the scent of VO5 (more like BO5 to my nose). What I've been using is a lavender skin lotion - when I put it on my skin and rub it in, there is a small residue on my hands and I use it on the ends of my dried - not damp - hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot