Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Halloween movies

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I love the original Wolfman, and the new one as well.

Does the music video to Thriller count? Because that was just awesome creepy perfection!

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this

(and yes I searched correctly Scott :p)

Every October before Halloween I try to watch these movies....

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Interview With The Vampire
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Disney)
Sleepy Hollow (Tim Burton)

Does anyone else have favorites?
Rue, I have to admit to being a big kid at heart.

I love "The Great Pumpkin". I love all the Charlie Brown flicks. :eek:

Also love Hocus Pocus,
Nightmare before Christmas,
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken!
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. (which apparently they declined to air this season),
Scooby Doo films,
Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were Rabbit
The Haunted Mansion
Halloweentown
Bednobs and broomsticks
Harry Potter flicks
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Addams Family movies!

I luv Halloween!!!!!!!!!!

Movies I dont watch coz they're too scary. ;)

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. (Bette Davis just scared the hell outta me. Watched it when I was in kindergarten and that movie just messed me up).

The Exorcist. Ruined me for Linda Blair flicks form then on.
Magic (the one about the ventriloquist dummy).

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Put me on the list of not liking scary movies too!
Ditto.

Except for this one Frankenstein movie.....

[video=youtube;AZybFl_pfMk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZybFl_pfMk&feature=related[/video]

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Young Frankenstein is one of my favorites! Madeline Kahn was a jewel and I loved her movies. And Terri Garr was a cutie. :)

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
My favorite Halloween-time horror movie of recent years is 2007's TRICK 'R TREAT. To me it's an instant Halloween classic, with four separate horror stories taking place in the same small town on Halloween night.

I also try to watch at least a couple of the old Hammer horror classics during the month of October. One of my favorite childhood Halloween memories was spent (after trick or treating) watching a PBS broadcast of the 1977 BBC Television production of DRACULA starring Louis Jourdan. After many years of searching, I finally found it on DVD a couple years ago.

Edward

Bartender
I'm a sucker for a good horror - pretty much anything. I even find amusement in some of the derivative, genre stuff as long as it has a story - gore for its own sake gets boring very quickly. Of the old school, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is still very intense and can be quite unsettling. Wonderful stuff. I'm also a big fan of the Evil Dead series. While they became more comedic as they progressed, the first one is still genuinely chilling at times.

Being a recovering horror movie junky I could name a billion.

Buuuuut the original Fright Night from the 80's is a classic mention.

Once every few years I have to watch the original Bela Lugosi Dracula. I can't believe how many people knock this movie.

I was also very impressed with the Fright Night remake. David Tennant totally stole the show in every scene in which he appeared. Colin Farrell was also an excellent casting.

The Innocents
The Shining
Village of the Damned
the classic Universal Pictures horrors of the 1930s/40s
Don't Look Now
The Ninth Gate
Lost Highway or Mulholland dr (or maybe even Eraserhead)

Good list - except Eraserhead. Though it you want horror, it does genuinely horrify me what a pile of pretentious nonsense it was! Seriously, two hours of my life I'll never get back. I'm almost as bitter about that as those dreadful Star Wars prequels (though that franchise was already down the toilet: Star Wars died the day Greedo shot first).

I love the original Wolfman, and the new one as well.

Does the music video to Thriller count? Because that was just awesome creepy perfection!

Everything Michael Jackson did was creepy. ;)

The Amityville Horror, The Blair Witch Project are good movie to watch of Halloween.

I was distinctly unimpressed with the Blair Witch - I actually found the sequel infinitely more entertaining, in large part because it didn't claim to be groundbreaking or anything more than it was.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Good list - except Eraserhead. Though it you want horror, it does genuinely horrify me what a pile of pretentious nonsense it was! Seriously, two hours of my life I'll never get back.

It's odd. Lynch often elicits that response. I felt the same when I watched Mulholland Dr. It made me so angry that he was wasting my time that I even refused to finish watching it....

...then about 2 yrs later I saw the DVD on sale. I was interested by my earlier strong negative reaction to it so thought 'what the hell' and I bought it.

After watching it again I realised I had just watched one of the most important films in years...I just needed to understand his 'language/grammar'.
When I did, I was totally blown away.

Blair Witch. All hype, no substance. A poorly made film that somehow got lucky. Dreadful, dreadful.

Edward

Bartender
It's odd. Lynch often elicits that response. I felt the same when I watched Mulholland Dr. It made me so angry that he was wasting my time that I even refused to finish watching it....

...then about 2 yrs later I saw the DVD on sale. I was interested by my earlier strong negative reaction to it so thought 'what the hell' and I bought it.

After watching it again I realised I had just watched one of the most important films in years...I just needed to understand his 'language/grammar'.
When I did, I was totally blown away.

Lynch is like Kubrick for me - hit and miss. I will either really like it, or hate it. With Kubrick, I loved Full Metal Jacket, and would rather poke my own eyes out with s spoon than sit through 2001 again. 2001 was like an episode of The Outer Limits with enough plot for forty minutes worth, stretched out to.... what was it, about three days?

Blair Witch. All hype, no substance. A poorly made film that somehow got lucky. Dreadful, dreadful.

Absolutely. If I'd never seen a single horror film before, maybe I might have liked it, but there wasn't a single original second in it. The hype was painful, too - over here as you no doubt recall they would have had us believe that every single person in the US was some sort of mindless idiot who really believed it was true. The only thing of note it did was to be the first film to be so successfully marketed online - they really knew what they were doing to sell this turkey so well via the web. Dear Barnum would have been proud.

Last edited:

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I know this is super early in the year, but I am ready for fall (I think the fact that it's supposed to be 104 today has something to do with that). But my favorite and must see Halloween movies are Sleepy Hollow (Tim Burton's version), The Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus. But this time of year, to jump start my fall crafting, I'm watching the old Universal monster movies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner