Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Halloween movies

...btw - I think Cronenberg's creepiest film is that one about the identical twin gynecologists. I can't remember the name, but I think it had Jeremy Irons in it. That one made me uncomfortable, and I'm a guy.
You're thinking of Dead Ringers (1988). I only saw it once when it was first released, but I seem to remember it having quite a bit of subject matter that a 10-year-old's level of maturity or "worldliness" might not be able to fully appreciate from a "creep-out" perspective. That being said, you obviously know your son better than I do so it would have to be your call.

You're thinking of Dead Ringers (1988). I only saw it once when it was first released, but I seem to remember it having quite a bit of subject matter that a 10-year-old's level of maturity or "worldliness" might not be able to fully appreciate from a "creep-out" perspective. That being said, you obviously know your son better than I do so it would have to be your call.

LOL!
I wasn't considering it for him. I was just pointing out how completely creepy a film it was.

Probably going with Phantom of the Opera. I was leaning toward House on Haunted Hill, that scene of the old lady ghost kinda sticks with you, but the Mrs. shot that one down.

LOL!
I wasn't considering it for him. I was just pointing out how completely creepy a film it was...
Oh. Well then...never mind. :D

...I was leaning toward House on Haunted Hill, that scene of the old lady ghost kinda sticks with you...
Assuming you're referring to this scene...

House_on_Haunted_Hill_zps0c785402.jpg

...it cracks me up every time I see it. First, because the "old ghost lady" is completely static; they could just as easily have used a wax figure. Second, because she's looking at the camera, not at the "victim". It's so obviously one of those William Castle "gotcha!" moments that it just makes me laugh.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
My favorite Halloween-time horror movie of recent years is 2007's TRICK 'R TREAT. To me it's an instant Halloween classic, with four separate horror stories taking place in the same small town on Halloween night.

I also try to watch at least a couple of the old Hammer horror classics during the month of October. One of my favorite childhood Halloween memories was spent (after trick or treating) watching a PBS broadcast of the 1977 BBC Television production of DRACULA starring Louis Jourdan. After many years of searching, I finally found it on DVD a couple years ago.

I'll reiterate my post from 2011 because it still applies: TRICK 'R TREAT has a great early Spielberg feel to it, and Hammer Horror is still my fave for atmosphere. The only thing I'd add is Rob Zombie's HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES, which I see as the ultimate horror fan movie made by the ultimate horror fan. From what I hear Zombie's horror movie memorabilia collection is rivaled only by that of the late Forrest Ackerman.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Under Wraps. If your looking for the ultimate scary movie, this is not it! It is kind of funny, and I try to watch it every year.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many

skydog757

A-List Customer
Carrie 1976 - is set in the fall/prom season. To me, it's not so much a horror story, it just leaves me with the sad feeling that Carrie never really had a chance in this world; that she was doomed to a sad, lonely life. Heck, it's her mother that kills her.

Phantasm 1979 - I will readily admit that I did not understand everything in this film (what the hell was that flying sphere? Certainly not a golden snitch!) I remember a feeling of dread that came over me that very few movies have ever evoked. Like Carrie, it ends with a GOTCHA!! moment.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I missed out on this thread prior to Halloween this year, it seems.

The 1931 "Dracula" is still effective because of Lugosi. His Count really seems like an undead creature when he is moving among the crowds in nighttime London. And when he is facing Van Helsing, trying to hypnotize him, and says in that deep deep voice, "Come . . . here!" I always want to get up and walk toward the TV! That said, for a good adaptation of the novel, give me the Louis Jourdan version.

The film version of Stephen King's "Pet Sematary" is very creepy. No less than twice, the director creeps you out by having something come directly toward you on the screen. No, not 3D hijinks; I mean a character is moving toward the viewpoint character, which is you. Not jumping out at you as so many movies rely on these days. Steadily getting closer, and closer . . .

Anybody mention "Wait Until Dark," with Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin? Still one of the great suspense movies.

A few years back I downloaded the "Trilogy of Terror" TV film with Karen Black. I still recall that devil doll chasing her around her apartment wielding that butcher knife, and I need to watch it again. I wonder if it holds up after nearly 40 years?

skydog757

A-List Customer
A few years back I downloaded the "Trilogy of Terror" TV film with Karen Black. I still recall that devil doll chasing her around her apartment wielding that butcher knife, and I need to watch it again. I wonder if it holds up after nearly 40 years?

I still remember the final scene, after Black's character has burned the doll in her oven, the spirit rushes out and possesses her. It then shows Black sitting on the floor of her apartment, slowly and rythmically stabbing the point of the butcher knife into the floor. We then hear Black's mother offscreen, outside of the apartment placing keys into the lock and asking why Black had called her over so urgently. Then Black's eyes move to the door and, as she continues to work the knife, her lips curl into an evil grin revealing the ugly, snaggled teeth of the doll. Pretty chilling as I remember it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner