Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Male or Female Singers From The Era

JonnyO

A-List Customer
I know he is right on the wrong end of the cusp, but Sinatra, hands down is my favorite. I grew up listening to my uncle sing his songs through the house when I spent the night with my cousins. Louis Armstrong is also a favorite, he has such a unique voice. Haven't really listened to many female musicians from the era, may have to use some of your favorites as suggestions.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Bea Wain is a gem, and is one of the last two surviving female band singers of the '30s, the other being Doris Day.

On the male side, I forget to mention Singin' Sam. Yes, he's hokey, but it's sincere hokum, and I like it.

tuppence

Practically Family
Bea Wain is a gem, and is one of the last two surviving female band singers of the '30s, the other being Doris Day.

On the male side, I forget to mention Singin' Sam. Yes, he's hokey, but it's sincere hokum, and I like it.

I've heard Singin' Sam singin' 'Toodle-oo' , I liked it, but can't find any more of his stuff.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Listening to Big Band Music

Today I had the pleasure of taking in my friends band it was great.

I know that this might not be the exact Thread for this but anywho here goes !

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Nobert

Practically Family
Armstrong, Fats Waller, Rudy Vallee, Cliff Edwards, Ruth Etting, Helen Kane (really), Billie Holiday, and a probably a bunch of others I can't think of

I noticed a couple of people mentioned Irving Kaufman. Was he the guy that sang Oh! Those Landlords?

Last edited:

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
To name just a few of my favorite singers, Bing Crosby, Johnny Mercer, the Ink Spots, the Mills Brothers, Louis Armstrong, Al Jolson, Rudy Vallée, Cab Calloway, Frankie Laine, and Frank Sinatra in the male category.

The Boswell Sisters and Connee Boswell, the Andrews Sisters, Doris Day, Peggy Lee, Dinah Shore, Billie Holiday, and Kate Smith in the female category.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Armstrong, Fats Waller, Rudy Vallee, Cliff Edwards, Ruth Etting, Helen Kane (really), Billie Holiday, and a probably a bunch of others I can't think of

I noticed a couple of people mentioned Irving Kaufman. Was he the guy that sang Oh! Those Landlords?

Yes, as did Billy Murray.

Kaufman at the top of his game:

[video=youtube;_3K1Ksp39ds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3K1Ksp39ds&sns=em[/video]
The band's not half bad either. Perhaps they'll make a name for themselves.

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
male
Sinatra during his Dorsey period
Al Hibbler
Johnny Mercer
Tommy Duncan ( The Texas Playboys )
Cab Calloway
Nat Cole

Female
Billie Holiday
Ella Fitzgerald
Anita O'Day
Kitty Kallen

fashion frank

One Too Many
Wow I have to admit that I never thought that this Thread would even take off never mind four pages but what I like the most is how all of you have reminded me of so many great artist that I had forgotten about, keep it up, simply awesome !

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would say probably Merrill, from the later end of the era.

[video=youtube_share;Ph-cmoo6meo]http://youtu.be/Ph-cmoo6meo[/video]

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
Hello all , I was wondering what everyone's favorite singers are from that great era ?

For example my favorite female singer is Mildred Bailey and my favorite male singer is Johnny Mercer.
I think it will be very interesting to see who wind's up " on top" !

I love Pat Friday, Tex Beneke and the Modernaires. Anita O'Day, very early Doris Day has also been known to turn my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner